700 New project! Align 700N DFC

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm assembling my new Align 700n DFC. I've run into A problem with the elevator linkage rods. The book says there sapposed to be 92mm long. Ball center to ball center. I have built them to exhactly 92mm long. There to long. When I snap the bottem rod on the top rod is about 1/2" too long. I can't shorten them to much shorter. Allmost no tread left on the rods. Any help would be appreceated! Thanks

Tony

Staff member
1/2"? Holy crap that is a LOT. Can you post a picture of your linkage setup on the heli? The elevator on these nitros actually goes to the front of the swash. On mine anyways. I'm thinking you have the same setup.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Here is the pic. You can see the ball on the horn and how much longer the linkage is. The bottem linkage us hooked up. I can't get the top linkage to snap on cause it dosen't line up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I can't see anything wrong with placement of anything. Just to make sure, you did get the link measurements off of THAT linkage and not the other two servos, right? As long as those are the exact same length, you can make them shorter. You may have to loosen your servo to get the links on correctly, then tighten it down.

pvolcko

Two thoughts.
What if the servo is put in with the horn on the other side (more toward front)? Then links have to be too long? Horn not clearing the lower servos?
Have the link balls on the short radius holes?

Tony

Staff member
I know you either posted or PM'd me the manual for this heli but I can't find it. I was going to do some checking but guess I will just have to download it off the interwebz. BRB

Tony

Staff member
Okay, just downloaded the manual and you were correct, it's 92mm center hole to center hole. As for turning the servo around, it's supposed to go the way Sam has it installed.

I would just shorten them to where they need to go to fit. Just make sure they are perfectly equal in length.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The links are screwed on almost all the way. So I don't think I can shorten them much more but ill try.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I had a similar issue with my align 700e v2 elevayor servo. I had to make them different lengths for servo horn to fit at 90. Was THE only way or I was bending the servo mount and servo was in a ton of stress.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok, so I had enough tread to bring the links down to 87.5mm and snapped them on. Beets me why the difference.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I just remembered. I found the black main 164T gear fir my bird. Here is a couple of picks.

image.jpg image.jpg

So now my tail drive and main gears are all going to be the new align black gears. This is going to be sweet! Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
NICE. I remember asking you on the phone, and you told me that they are helical cut gears... Is your pinion Helical cut too ? check that , cause they have the helical cut pinion available. I am not sure whts shipping out with the kits.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
NICE. I remember asking you on the phone, and you told me that they are helical cut gears... Is your pinion Helical cut too ? check that , cause they have the helical cut pinion available. I am not sure whts shipping out with the kits.

Yes it's a helical cut pinion! Everything matches what came with the kit!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it's a helical cut pinion! Everything matches what came with the kit!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Got some more done today. Got the fuel lines run. All hooked up. I may just do a little mod on the vent tube though. Here some pics! The last one is of the modded elevator linkage. I had to shorten the rods from 92mm to 87.5mm to get them to work!

image.jpg

Vent tube from crank on motor.

image.jpg

Side view of fuel lines. The line on the top is the line from the motor vent. That's where I may put a t connector to vent the bird from there while fueling without pulling the line foo the one way valve.

image.jpg

Elevator linkage modded to fit my bird.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
As long as those linkages are equal length, they will work just fine. They should ALWAYS be equal length. As I stated before, you may have to loosen the servo and let it move a bit to get them on thre right.

As for the fuel line, the top line from the fuel tank goes to the muffler, not the back of the engine. The back of the engine should go to a sealed container like a Boost Bottle, otherwise just plug it. If you run it the way you have it, it will run WAY too lean since there is no pressure on the fuel tank. In fact, having it hooked up to the crank case, it will pull a vacuum on the fuel tank.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
As long as those linkages are equal length, they will work just fine. They should ALWAYS be equal length. As I stated before, you may have to loosen the servo and let it move a bit to get them on thre right.

As for the fuel line, the top line from the fuel tank goes to the muffler, not the back of the engine. The back of the engine should go to a sealed container like a Boost Bottle, otherwise just plug it. If you run it the way you have it, it will run WAY too lean since there is no pressure on the fuel tank. In fact, having it hooked up to the crank case, it will pull a vacuum on the fuel tank.

Linkages are both 87.5mm long and they fit on there perfectly! I was surprised that I could get them that shore. Believe me there is absolutely no tread left showing on the rods! Lol

Now I have my motor's fuel lines on there just like the OS Manuel says to. I have no vent on my muffler. The vent in the 105 HZ is on the motor back plate. The only thing that I did differant was the fuel fill. OS has it in the vent line with a t and a one way valve. I put it on the inlet line like the align Manuel says. But like I said earlier I may change it. I just got to get a t connector. It should work iether way to fill the tank anyways!

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I tryed to post up the page in my OS Manuel but it won't come out for some reason! Oh well. If you want to see it yourself then just go to the is web sight and download it. But take my word for it the 105 is plumed the way I did it. It says right in the Manuel to plug off the muffler if there is a vent inlet on it. But I'm using the 105 is pipe and there isn't a vent there on my muffler.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link! Lol http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/105hz-r-manual.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Pluming on page 20 and 21.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Interesting. Never seen one plumbed that way.

It's backplate pressure. Better than muffler pressure.. :)

If I am correct this engine is an hz-r... Means regulated carb. So carb actually has a diaphragm that opens and closes and according to the engine fuel demands it regulates fuel supply.

Backplate pressure is being used on these engines for a while. These engines were actually leaning out towards empty tank using just muffler pressure.. . So they went with regulated backplate pressure systems.

Basically with hz-r you don't have to have to tune for the edge or power band where you make maximum power. But tune just enough so it's flooded and four cycling. Rest is handled by the regulator.

It's pretty cool. Even 55 engines came out with hz-r version. But are 200 bucks more lol

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom