700 New project! Align 700N DFC

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok! I'm looking into ordering a few small items for my fuel system. Fuel filters and shut offs. Now I know that there is a number of different sizes of fuel line. But when I look at filters non says anything about line size. Is there a difference in fuel filter sizes or are they all the same? I need a three way filter and a couple of shut offs.

Westy

LEGEND
not sure bud.... but I would suggest contacting a supplier to get it from the horses mouth. They should have specs on the outlet sizes..... I would think something like 3/16 (OD - to fit 1/16 od fuel line) or something common like that....

Tony

Staff member
I have a 3 way on mine (Align filter) and it's okay. It likes to leak where the threads are. I'm going to use a straight filter when I replace this one, and use the third nipple on the header tank to fill it. It will help clean up the heli as well.

As for fuel line sizes, and filter sizes, there are many to choose from. However, you should be able to do a search for your heli and engine and it should have a set size that they are selling. If all else fails, you can call them up and make sure you are getting the correct products. That would be my advice anyway.

Westy

LEGEND
get your calipers out and measure the inlet for the carby..... that is the size you want. no smaller or you will get a fuel restriction right off the bat..... Man I am getting quite keen to fire up a Nitro capaign myself. got 20 litres of fuel sitting here for a plane that I will never finish lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well my fuel line is measured in mm. I think it's either 5 or 6 mm. I've looked at a few differant sights at filters. None give a size. So that's why I'm baffled at the moment. I might stop at my LHS on the way home tomorrow and see what they say. Hmmmmm.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok so I ordered an align filter. Looked it up under align in the search engine and it came up. 600n 700n align 3-way fuel filter. $4.99 from A Main Hobbies.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that's the one that I have if you got the 3 way. If it would quit leaking on me, mine would be great for someone that didn't have that extra nipple to fill the tank. But, I do and it's what I'm going to use eventually.

Westy

LEGEND
can you not strip the fittings off and use Loctite 565 and seal it once and for all? I have used it for years and it works on most applications. bit like hte Prism 401 super super super CA glue they make .... it is great stuff.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
get your calipers out and measure the inlet for the carby..... that is the size you want. no smaller or you will get a fuel restriction right off the bat..... Man I am getting quite keen to fire up a Nitro capaign myself. got 20 litres of fuel sitting here for a plane that I will never finish lol

I ordered the align filter. It will be the same size has the outlets on the tank. So it should work.

Airplane fuel is not the same has heli fuel. Heli fuel has quite a bit more oil in it.

- - - Updated - - -

can you not strip the fittings off and use Loctite 565 and seal it once and for all? I have used it for years and it works on most applications. bit like hte Prism 401 super super super CA glue they make .... it is great stuff.

He is talking about where the filter unscrews apart to clean the element.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, exactly. I'm sure a little silicone or something will work. but I want to be able to take it apart to replace/clean the filter when needed.

Westy

LEGEND
really? well I'll be.....

I I would have thought the engines would run on the same fuel/oil ratio.....

Tony

Staff member
Nope. the plane engines are sitting right out in the open (most times) and have a prop always blowing air across the head and block. In a heli, there is a fan, but it ONLY blows air over teh head, and doesn't cool the engine block. Not much room in a heli for cooling.

Westy

LEGEND
ok ... cool so hence a richer mix needed to keep those head temps down as much as possible. Ya learn something new every day

wolfman76

hey sam what should i use to seal off firewall on the p-51 to keep fuels from getting into interior of plane fuse..????

Westy

LEGEND
this is pure Av gas .... and proper oil .......needs to be pre mixed to a ratio just like a 2 stroke engine .....

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I found this picture of Alan Szabo's new nitro. It just happens to be the same nitro I bought. Mine won't be inverted any time soon though! Lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Hi guys! I jot a chance to start my build today. I've got the head and main shaft put together, lock tight on the bolts, and mounted on the main shaft. What a pain in the neck this was. Got her all together and found out I left out a one spacer! Oh well! I'll PTS some picks in the morning. Too tired right now! Lol.

Top Bottom