450 Lee's Warp 360

Lee

Well we are going to have to wait for the maiden ;( I just went to charge the batteries. How it happened i don't know, but i got the 1300mah 4S nano techs instead of the 6S DOH!!!!! Just ordered the right ones from the dutch warehouse, so they should be here pretty quickly. Anybody want 3 brand new 4S 1300mah nanotech batteries???

Lee

My 6S batteries arrived today. Very impressed with HobbyKings warehouse in Holland. Sent on Monday and arrived today Wednesday. I will be getting all my stuff from there now. Next week looks like calm weather, so hope to get it in the air :D

Lee

Just received this.

Compass Warp 360 Customers,

The recent release of the new Warp 360 by Compass model has been a great success. Compass Model has listened and read all feedback pertaining to the Warp 360 and has been working diligently during the past two months to correct any, and all, customer concerns. Nankinhobby.Com would like to share with all Compass Model dealers, customers, and fans what upcoming changes will be made to the Warp 360.

-Compass Model SZ2617 brushless motor-

During spool-up and spool-down the current motor experiences an audible resonance. This is due to the stator and magnet design of the current motor, which was developed to be Kontronik and YGE friendly. Compass has experimented with multiple stator/magnet designs and has settled on a new magnet layout. This new layout greatly reduces the audible resonance experienced during spool-up and spool-down, while still remaining Kontronik and YGE friendly. The new can with smaller magnets causes less electromagnetic imbalance and with that, the balancing process will be more accurate as well. This will provide a better and smoother running motor over the whole RPM range. Customers who have already purchased a Warp 360 will receive the new SZ2617 motor can at no charge.

-Warp 360 Tail Guide Pulleys-

There have been some Warp 360 customers experiencing the tail belt hopping off the guide pulley assembly. This has been a more isolated incident that Compass will be correcting. A new carbon fiber brace has been developed to brace the guide pulley bolts. This will prevent the belt from hopping of the pulleys by preventing the pulley bolts from flexing out of alignment during flight. The carbon fiber brace will be included in all future kits and provided to customers who have already purchased a Warp 360 free of charge.

-Warp 360 Center of Gravity-

Many customers have expressed concern with the balance point of their Warp 360. Compass will be extending the canopy mount approximately 12 millimeters to allow extra room under the canopy for lighter batteries. This will give the necessary room to mount the lighter packs forward on the battery tray interference free of the canopy. Current Warp 360 canopies will need to have the canopy holes re-drilled further back to accommodate the new mount. All future kits will include this change and customers who have purchased a Warp 360 will receive the new canopy mount free of charge.

-Tail Boom-

Some customers have experienced issues with the tail boom fracturing at or near the tail case. The wall thickness of the tail boom will be increased from 0.3 millimeters to 0.4 millimeters. This will be increased to add durability and rigidity to the boom in these high stress areas. The manual illustrates the recommendation by Compass Model to apply blue Loctite to the flange of the tail case prior to assembly into the tail boom. This is recommended to prevent scoring (leading to a future fracture) of the inside of the boom by the tail case. All future kits will receive the thicker wall booms. As this is a durability improvement new tail booms will not be provided free of charge.

The new SZ2617 motor can, carbon pulley brace, and canopy mount will be provided to current Warp 360 Customers free of charge. Distributors will be receiving these replacement parts by the end of February to send to current customers. Future Warp 360 kits will have the changes included.

Compass Model would like to thank all its customers for their patience while the Warp 360 was being improved. Compass Model believes in standing behind its customers and is working as quickly as possible to fulfill this commitment.

That's what you call customer service.

murankar

Staff member
Man I think I should have bought a warp 360 instead. Well kinda, I hope they continue with after purchase customer satisfaction.

Tony

Staff member
Good deal. So are you going to wait for the new parts to fly it, or are you still going to do the maiden this weekend?

Lee

I will be flying it this weekend, Monday at the latest. None of the upgrades are needed to fly it. The motor runs fine. It just makes an awful sound on spool up. The CoG is quite a but out, but not enough to worry. Theres no way this will be sitting on the shelf until Feb for the new parts :D I will have crashed it before then anyway. LOL

Westy

LEGEND
wow.... I would have thought they would have highly tested everything before release..... they are starting to sound like a Toyota CAmry Recall Lol

Lee

What you have to remember Westy, is this is a totally new heli. No parts have come from another model. There will always be a few teething problems, but at least Compass comes forward with solutions and gives any parts needed for free. If this was another company (no names), you wouldn't hear a peep from them. Everyone would be complaining about this and that on the forums, then suddenly a V2 model shows up. No "here you go, free parts to fix yours" just, well heres a better version you can buy if you want. :D
The Align 450 didn't just miraculously appear on the market problem free. Its had something like 9 versions now. Compass is an innovative company. Just look at every heli now using DFC heads, that was a compass design.
I love the simplicity of this model. One day i'll get to fly it :D But from everyone that has, this is an amazing bird. Quote " flys like a cross between a mini Goblin and a mini TDR" :D I'm excited

Westy

LEGEND
The Align 450 didn't just miraculously appear on the market problem free. Its had something like 9 versions now. Compass is an innovative company. Just look at every heli now using DFC heads, that was a compass design.
I love the simplicity of this model. One day i'll get to fly it :D But from everyone that has, this is an amazing bird. Quote " flys like a cross between a mini Goblin and a mini TDR" :D I'm excited

Hey Lee :0 ... Wow I did not know that about the DFC head.

I just would have thought they would have sent these out to all the pro circuits and got them to smash em .... and then sort what come to the surface. Must cost them a fortune having to send out all those (and there seems like a lot of them) parts to all of thier customers....

I mean the tail boom being 0.3mm tube wall..... why would you not engineer some extra stress loading into the equation instead of the primary focus being weight or cost.

But I guess they have got the market full of the "I wanna Put a Heli together" fraternity .... and I guess they are excited cause they get to rebuild the heli a number of times before it is right ... and tell themselves it is a tuning exercise.....

I would be Gutted if I shelled out the sort of hooter that you have on this heli..... and then only to find that you have not even finished the build and a heap of flaws are already present. How nervouse would you be to put it in the air haha

Na Guys .... They look like a nice heli ... but I personally do not like the Carbon fibre blade grips..... makes em look kinda tacky. But that is just me.

I am however ... very interested to see it fly and get your review on this heli Lee! cant wait!

Last edited:

Lee

Well it finally saw the air.
All i can say is wow. Super smooth, not a vibration in site. Ikon was at default setting and held the cyclic solid as a rock. The only issue i had, and this could be a big one for someone with less skill was, The Ikon default tail gain was way to high for the bird. I had to drop it 25% just to get it anywhere near steady. Had two wags of death that could have put it in the dirt, but i managed to auto it down no probs.
So if you are going to set this bird up with an Ikon, reduce the tail gain heaps and reduce the ball link position on the servo arm. The manual states 12mm but you need to set it at 8mm. Mine was at 10mm but now i have changed the arm for one i can set to 8mm. I'm heading back out for my second tests.
Wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
NOICE!!!! Beautiful BIRD.. still cant get over the fact that it has no tail boom supports and has a hub for a head! lol

Lee

Just got back from the second flights. Still in one piece thank god. Playing with gain settings and throttle curves. I have a bit of a tail vibe at 100% throttle, but i think its due to me having the belt too tight. I will loosen it and try again tomorrow.
Oh and by the way. Don't try and take off in soft sand. :D The vibration on spool up turns the sand to liquid and the heli falls over HAHHAHAHAHA :D

murankar

Staff member
Sounds like it was a great time. I was lucky the last time I flew. I was on an old volleyball court which is sand. I managed to take off and land just fine. In fact the sand helped with the auto I did on it and it took the shock levels down a few notches.

Oh yeah if you are running the belt from the motor all the way back to the tail does the tension effect the head rotating during autos or spinning by hand? I noticed on mine that the head spins more freely when the tension is lighter.

Was it running quieter than what your use to?

Top Bottom