450 Lee's Warp 360

Lee

Patients patients :D I am doing the wiring now. But its 2am so i'm gonna stop until tomorrow.

Tony

Staff member
The bolts for those servo arm balls are supposed to be countersunk bolts with a "V" shape to them. That way they fit down inside the balls. Well, they are on the balls that I have put on. If your's are flat, not sure what to say other than get longer bolts maybe. but just the white plastic ones will work fine.

Lee

I started the wiring today. Put some cable sheathing over each of the servo wires.
100_3075.JPG

100_3081.JPG

Stuck the Ikon on and put the ESC inside the frame.
100_3087.JPG

I ended up removing some of the shielding as the bend was too tight and put tension on the wires going into the Ikon. This way the wires are relaxed so no vibrations will be transmitted to the Ikon.
100_3098.JPG

100_3099.JPG

100_3101.JPG

Only a couple of my links need adjusting. These reamer tools are very handy.
100_3088.JPG

100_3092.JPG

Now all the wiring is inside the frame, I could finally tighten the motor mount and belt tensioner screws for the final time.
With all 8 screws loose, pull back on the motor mount to tension the drive belt, then tighten the screws to hold the motor in the right place. Then remove one screw at a time place some threadlock on and replace so as not to loose the tension on the mount

100_3095.JPG

The belt should have 3 to 4 mm of movement. Better to be too tight than too loose.
100_3094.JPG

I changed the battery connectors from XT60s to EC3s as that what all my batteries are.
100_3083.JPG

Now i can start with the Ikon set up.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Looking very good. Same style of drive train as mine, you'll love it. I almost for got the motor needs to spin clock wise on this setup and wait till you here how quiet it is. Well maybe quieter than if it was gear on gear. That motor looks gynormus in that frame.

Lee

Thanks guys,
Hope to get it done today. Need to shorten the tail control rod to get centre pitch, but at 2.30am last night i decided it was a good time to stop before i broke something :D

Lee

The last stage of the build was to program the IKON. Before i could do that, i had to cut down the tail control rod. Even with the links screwed right in and the servo horn at 90, the tail pitch slider was pushed right over to one side. I trimmed 4mm off the end of the carbon rod. Which as i have found out today, many people have also had to remove 4mm to get the servo 90 and pitch slider centred.
The metal link rod is epoxied in place. To remove it, lightly heat the end with a lighter. This will release the epoxys grip on the carbon rod so you can unscrew it. I trimmed off the 4mm and then rethreaded the rod with epoxy. Now my tail is set up perfectly.

100_3102.JPG

100_3103.JPG

6mm Swash plate levellers are pretty uncommon. So i made one from a 10mm thick piece of G10 cut into a triangle and drilled a 6mm hole though the middle. ( Its great having a friend with a drill press, loads of G10 and Carbon and a CNC machine :D )
100_3108.JPG

100_3110.JPG

My Sat cable is a touch long :D But i wound it round the landing gear supports.
Placed my Sat under the boom clamp

100_3111.JPG

100_3112.JPG

So shes ready for the Maiden :D I would explain how i set up the IKON, but it is so simple to follow i think its not needed.
100_3116.JPG

100_3113.JPG

Personally I think the landing gear could be bigger, with a wider stance. It looks too small for the Heli.
100_3125.JPG

I have really enjoyed this build, and look forward to getting it in the air when the rain and wind stops.
So to summarise.
The Pros:
A very easy to follow Manual.
Parts are well labelled.
Low parts count, very easy to build and maintain.
Plenty of room for wiring.
All intricate parts now assembled in the factory.
Compass have addressed all the know issues that came up in the first batch.
My first dealings with them and i'm very happy with the out come.

The Cons:
4 Blade grip hub Screws instead of 2 hub screws and 2 Blade grip screws
Servo screws not long enough to use Carbon supports
Carbon tail control rod too long even on shortest setting. Need to reduce by 4mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
See you next time with some flying up dates.
All the best

Lee

murankar

Staff member
Now you know my pain on that 6mm main shaft.

Congrats on the finalization of the new kit. Build a test stand to get the setup complete.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looking hood Lee! Now for some video! I started setting up my NAZA today also. But ran out of time to finish.

Derek

very nice job, Lee! I agree with you about the landing skids being too small. I think they should be a bit bigger, too. Nonetheless, I've enjoyed watching your progress and I look forward to seeing it fly.

Top Bottom