You Log In, You Post In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainrider06

Read the blog, funny the journey we take through these hobbies. Sometimes I think, man I need to get outta this hobby, then I think man i love this hobby. Good words on the advice for someone asking about a heli. I wonder if aesthetics plays a part in heli selections, probably, but I wonder to what degree on the final choice someone makes?
I know one thing, metal metal metal on anything one can get on their heli, or CF. The plastic stuff is ok, but to me I just feel better if I have metal or CF parts...

murankar

Staff member
First off thank you for reading. Aesthetics is a big part for me in some cases. The protos mini was not only the quality but the looks. It just has a look that is so cool to me. Plastic has been my down fall until the X3. I think Gaui got it right on this design in my opinion. THe main blade grips are plastic, but after a number of crashes they are original to the kit. Metal is a bling thing for me. the only real metal is the tail blade grips and the motor mount. For me the tail grips could be plastic and I wouldnt mind. I ended up with the metal tail blade grips just because.

In the end the buyer needs to live with the choices. Lots of give and take given the options we have. Some are cost driven, others are looks driven and as you stated metal driven. I myself look at support and availability and post crash cost. Looks also play in and as long as it is not ass ugly then chances are I will buy it. I wish everyone could afford $1000 radio and gyro combo, I know they cant. I just got lucky and the products fit my needs and wants.

I guess you could take from it is one of two things:

You could nickle and dime the hobby and get to a means to fly or you could piece a platform together once and save some money or not. The only thing I can say is that if your needs are met then so be it. None of us can afford a diablo speed or a TDR Speed but what we can afford puts a smile on our faces at the end of the day.

trainrider06

First off thank you for reading. Aesthetics is a big part for me in some cases. The protos mini was not only the quality but the looks. It just has a look that is so cool to me. Plastic has been my down fall until the X3. I think Gaui got it right on this design in my opinion. THe main blade grips are plastic, but after a number of crashes they are original to the kit. Metal is a bling thing for me. the only real metal is the tail blade grips and the motor mount. For me the tail grips could be plastic and I wouldnt mind. I ended up with the metal tail blade grips just because.

In the end the buyer needs to live with the choices. Lots of give and take given the options we have. Some are cost driven, others are looks driven and as you stated metal driven. I myself look at support and availability and post crash cost. Looks also play in and as long as it is not ass ugly then chances are I will buy it. I wish everyone could afford $1000 radio and gyro combo, I know they cant. I just got lucky and the products fit my needs and wants.

I guess you could take from it is one of two things:

You could nickle and dime the hobby and get to a means to fly or you could piece a platform together once and save some money or not. The only thing I can say is that if your needs are met then so be it. None of us can afford a diablo speed or a TDR Speed but what we can afford puts a smile on our faces at the end of the day.

The advancements in plastic has lead to some pretty sturdy parts for sure, I suppose if a company has good quality control, and injection mold process, or whatever they use these days. One could have a good piece on their bird that lasts a long time, and serves them well. I personally don't have anything against plastic parts if they hold up well. That's impressive on those blade grips for sure! WOW!

On my ol 450SE that met its demise, it had a plastic tail case, and it cracked allowing the tail blades to rotate while I was under 3/4 collective pitch. So the heli flipped upside down unexpectently, (and mind you here I am putting the positive pitch on it the same time this tail flips it upside down) so it slams top first into the ground! Lol
This of course was I am sure some freak defect or something, because I had an Align 500 FB, that had a plastic case and plastic grips, and although I never crashed that one, the plastic pieces performed very nicely.

Myself being a fan of metal, and although I do appreciate the bling factor, even like a bit of bling just prefer metal parts, of course with my 3 Align heli's, they are all TT driven so it's metal cases only. The grips are black mostly and that happens to be one of my top 3 favorite colors, really if it was my choice all my heli's would be black with flames or something like that! Lol but practically it's not practical, because I'd have a tough time seeing em, so I try and keep em bright.

Yes, budget is a big decider, for sure I guess the asthetics of each our own minds eye comes into play somewhere in there too.

But as you said, it's all about enjoying what we have to fly that counts. That's the beauty of R/C aircraft for all of us that are in the hobby, as well the very nice people we find, and meet along our journey in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure this new job is going to kill me. Literally and Figuratively.

How? Stress? Danger, or being bombarded with toxins?

Heliman450

Just posted a new blog last night:RC-Help.com

Hi Mathias, I wanted to see your blog but it tells me I need a plugin. Where do I get and it and where do I plug it? :chickendance:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all! I've been looking into setting up my latest purchase and have been visiting other websites and Forums to gather all the info. I decided to downgrade my JRProPo DSX9 to be only my simulator interface for now and buy a Jeti Tx. My new supplier (Hugo) pointed me towards the DC-14 as the very smart looking DC-16 I was looking at has way more features than I currently need and I can buy those extras as and when I do. Upside is that it was almost half the price.

The changeover wasn't exactly smooth and now I'm off to the workshop to do the fine tuning. Why not smooth? Usual thing that the user instructions aren't that great but as I was putting together a hybrid combination and there being so many different possibilities, it's not expected that they can cover all bases anyway. That's what makes our hobby such fun!

Attached is the summary and wiring set-up I produced to capture the process. I'll get some links together in future contributions.

View attachment Jeti_Spirit Pro_Setup 14.02.16.pdf

Heliman450

Hi guys, I'd like someone to manufacture a nice big heli from chocolate and then I could just eat it and not bother with a rebuild :twothumbsup:

murankar

Staff member
I should have the last items delivered tomorrow for the X3. I hope to video my first vblog in almost 3 years. Not sure if it's going to be a review/overview or how to vid. I do know it will have at least 2 of those items in it.

Tomorrow I should be getting my new zeal mains and tail blades along with my bk servos. Looking forward to the new servos and tail blades. I have never flown carbon tail blades before.

Everything for this video will be done using a Vcontrol. Unless the swash leveling proves difficult like the last time.

leedude1

Rodney my man, I love the metal too and Im not sure if its in my head but some things intrinsically in my mind need to be changed and plastics are used as fabrication cost savings rather than an attempt to lighten things for us pilots and making them more crashable. Although the Nano is really a great indoor crash monster and beacuse of the plastic flexibility and low weight it has sprung back from many wall kissing adventures.:biglaugh:

The exception is in the micros like the nanos and the like where the weight is going to affect performance because the it can add up quickly. Even there I feel the need to at least have a metal swash and head. Ive changed them for all my birds, Nano (lynx swash on order, 150 Cnc options are a must, 180 head and tail case..yet the 450 is completely stock because I really dont feel anything"weak" in the bird and thus there it would be bling only,,,sorry correction, I got the metal fusuno canopy grommets because I was just tired of changing out the grommets every other day.

But like Mur said whatever makes you happy , and if you like it .......then its good. and boys, It is all good :cool-new:

murankar

Staff member
Exactly; If I would have had issues with; lets say the head and grips on the X3 then I would make a change to see if it works. Now the head block is metal but the grips are plastic. Since I have not had an issue with them why upgrade. Now the swash on the X3 is both metal and plastic (watch the build vblog in the blogs). THe only issue I have with the plastic outer ring is the link balls have stripped but to so much that they cant be used. In the future I might upgrde the swash but as of right now its staying the same. Others will say all the plastic needs changed out on the X3 because THEY (who ever they is) had a super bad crash. Does not mean its going to be the same across all the owners. Its things like this that give kits a bad rep.

From here on out I am not going to judge what people use. At the end of the day we are happier than... Cant say that on here but I will finish it in a PM if you dont offend easily. If you offend easily dont ask for the end of that statement.

trainrider06

White chocolate is disgusting!!!!!!!!!

What? Communist! That's un American to not like White chocolate! Haha!

- - - Updated - - -

I should have the last items delivered tomorrow for the X3. I hope to video my first vblog in almost 3 years. Not sure if it's going to be a review/overview or how to vid. I do know it will have at least 2 of those items in it.

Tomorrow I should be getting my new zeal mains and tail blades along with my bk servos. Looking forward to the new servos and tail blades. I have never flown carbon tail blades before.

Everything for this video will be done using a Vcontrol. Unless the swash leveling proves difficult like the last time.

Looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Rodney my man, I love the metal too and Im not sure if its in my head but some things intrinsically in my mind need to be changed and plastics are used as fabrication cost savings rather than an attempt to lighten things for us pilots and making them more crashable. Although the Nano is really a great indoor crash monster and beacuse of the plastic flexibility and low weight it has sprung back from many wall kissing adventures.:biglaugh:

The exception is in the micros like the nanos and the like where the weight is going to affect performance because the it can add up quickly. Even there I feel the need to at least have a metal swash and head. Ive changed them for all my birds, Nano (lynx swash on order, 150 Cnc options are a must, 180 head and tail case..yet the 450 is completely stock because I really dont feel anything"weak" in the bird and thus there it would be bling only,,,sorry correction, I got the metal fusuno canopy grommets because I was just tired of changing out the grommets every other day.

But like Mur said whatever makes you happy , and if you like it .......then its good. and boys, It is all good :cool-new:

That's what it's all about! Our minds eye, and enjoying what we have! :)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Everything is here for the repairs and upgrades. I had a squirrel moment tonight that last 3+ hours. Needless to say I did not get anything done tonight other than look at the servos, OMG these are so cool. Actually I got the tail servo in but that's it. I swear, I had to ensure i still had all the hardware to install a full size tail servo; I do.

So what happened well kind of a long story. In a nut shell I commented on some memes on facebook. The female who posted them started liking all my posts. I figured I would poke her as a flirt. Then she had an iPhone issue, the one where you set the date back to 1970. Well started a brief chat so I in boxed her. Next thing you know we traded phone numbers and started texting and its 4 am. My god i felt like a little kid again. The best part we went to school together and never really talked over the years and bam this happens. The even more best part is that she might be interested in my hobby, she said teach me. Okay she doesn't know what she in for and she has access to a farm. OMG i think its almost love, not really just saying that but it felt really great to chat it up. I am going to see her at some point soon.

Shes a country girl, loves fried bologna. Okay I done figuratively and literally.

Sorry forgot something

:chickendance::chickendance::chickendance::chickendance:

Last edited:

trainrider06

All I can say is investigate her with a guard up!
I had a check list that I went down when meeting online girls.
1. Full body recent pix!!!!
2. Family history (any kinds of psychotic drugs nessisary to get through the day)
3. Kids...any adult kids living at home?
4. Grandkids are they raising grand kids because their irresponsible kids still want to party or are stuck on meth, crack, alcohol, or some other thing that doesn't allow for them to raise their own kids?
5. Money, do they struggle working at some really low paying job, live with their parents???
6. (My personal thing was) must love motorcycles....I mean really love em enough to take out of state trips on one! Lol
This was just my list, or a good part of it. Based on my likes/dislikes experiences in life, based on personal preference.
Dealing with past poor women looking for a leg up in the financial arena, alcoholics, drug addicts, or moocher kids living at home....:)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Uri, I had the same kind of late night. Wife woke me up when she got home late and I'm a bit tired at work today :)

Haha....that's a helliva wife! :) well as long as she didn't wake you to fix something around the house, nag at you or something like that...:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom