You Log In, You Post In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Staff member
I have some things for sale on another forum I moderate. Nothing RC related (trying my best to NOT go down that route again) but I am thinking about either selling or parting out the F4U and the Super Decathlon. Both are nitro powered, one 2 stroke and the other a 4 stroke engine. Servos, old 72MHz Tx (great for long range FPV) and even has a carrying case. Just need to get pictures and get it all listed.

Tony

Staff member
Nothing like having to spend $100 on a new kitchen faucet because your other one turned into a geyser... Catching a break is seeming like catching a unicorn...

Tony

Staff member
Who would have thought it would be this hard to edit a friggin video. Everything recorded on the tablet is being stretched to the max and looks like crap... And all I want to do is get a short video up... ugh...

trainrider06

Nothing like having to spend $100 on a new kitchen faucet because your other one turned into a geyser... Catching a break is seeming like catching a unicorn...

Amazing how much those plastic component faucets cost, the old ones were hard core, replace a couple of rubber gaskets and good to go, unless you had a lot of lime deposits in the water....

Tony

Staff member
I don't have lime, but I do have calcium. But thankfully it's not as bad as my last house. Wow!

This faucet should last a little longer than two years. Comparing prices, it would be a fool to not spend an extra few bucks for something that is going to last. But, comparatively, it's still a cheap faucet when put with what else is out there.

trainrider06

Yeah I am shocked at the components in those faucets, plastic, thin metal (when metal is used).
Setup for failure! Yup mid range average price, I about fell over one day looking at faucets a couple years ago when I was doing a bathroom remodel, of course the one my wife liked were the 2-300 dollar models!

Heliman450

Hi Tony, oh dear! You must be one of the most unlucky guys I've ever come across.

In my industry there was lots of problems associated with Chinese supplied materials. One project I came across had cast alloy fire hydrants that just failed when the mains pressure came up towards normal operating pressure. Fortunately nobody injured from the flying parts. It lead to a routine project requirement being initiated to never use Chinese spec. items.

Sometimes one has to pay for the higher quality items.

murankar

Staff member
In today's standard even a middle of the road item might be as good based on the environment. Really the more expensive stuff is more on looks than anything unless its a moen with touch sensors. Looks is everything, buy it for looks buy it for life. If you live in the US you now what that is.

murankar

Staff member
SO I followed the 180 CFX page on face book. This guy is having an issue with his motor cutting out. So I replied with my suggestions (not that I was right or anything). RIght afterwards (albeit a few hours later) someone replied with "Is it cold where you are?". Since it followed my post and they did not address who they were talking to I responded with "Yes its 14 degrees here." This person replies "Your not the person with the issue". I replied back my bad. I am done on there after that. seemed like i rude reply to me.

Tony

Staff member
You are right about that. But I would LOVE to have the touch faucet in the kitchen. There are many times that we are cutting poultry or pork or something and then I have to wash my hands, and then clean the faucet lol. It sucks lol. But, that is the price I pay being poor.

On a side note, after about a year and a half, I fired up the old server to see if it still worked. When it started, up, massive memory errors and no boot record found. I did some playing around and found the CMOS had died and reset everything. So after playing with some settings in the BIOS, I have this sucker up and running again. The memory errors seemed to be fixed by pulling and reinstalling the sticks.

I did have to redownload my client and once I did that, boom, all my virtual machines are back! And I'm going to be adding more. Why? Because I can lol. Right now, I have Debian, FreeNAS and Ubuntu Server running on it. Soon, I will have Windows XP, Windows 8 and anything else I can think of to put on it. I have some ideas for it, but that will come in time.

anyone have an idea of what else to put on it to play around with?

murankar

Staff member
If your thinking about a dedicated linux server I would strongly recommend Arch Linux. They use whats called a rolling distro methodology. Its the most cutting edge and secure for being cutting edge. Thats not why to use it, you choose it because it is secure, current and built from the ground up by you. Down side is that it is a die hard system and very well documented on the net. Its a tank of a linux distro, more than ubuntu or debian.

The biggest pain you will have is getting the xserver running with a desktop. It is very fast and I recommend LXDE for your desktop because it is very light weight and very robust at the same time. I use Arch the most even on my raspberryPI media center. If you want to learn Linux it will learn you real good.

Tony

Staff member
I will look into those and give them a shot. Giving up for tonight. Trying to install FTP on this thing and I must have a setting wrong somewhere. I can get in anonymously but I can't log in. But, this is an old system so I could have really screwed it up before I shut it down over a year and a half ago. Going to just wipe it all out and start over playing around lol.

I really need a NAS, but just don't have the money for the drives. I did fine two 3TB drives for $160... If I only had the money... Even though I need about 6 of those drives to put it into RAID 6. Double parody FTMFW!!! :chuckles:

murankar

Staff member
If you decide to try this route I would backup the vm image after installing and initial configuring of the system. you will break it just trying to learn it for the first time. There is no installer or anything to make it easy. Its truly a die hard system but is a solid beast once running.

Also once the xserver is running with desktop then I would do another vm backup. this will allow you to start over if need be.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Just watched a few videos on just installing it, and yup, you are right. Command line central to get this going. But doesn't look all that hard. And seems to be a pretty solid system once it's up and running.

murankar

Staff member
yes it is a solid system and runs most current stable. Ubuntu runs almost current stable but is bloated with a bunch of crap. I like arch because it gives the freedom of how your system develops from the ground up. I think you'll love it just because its a challenge.

Tony

Staff member
Not liking virtualbox that much. Keeps showing space warnings and killing the installs. Alright then, that one is going away and I will just play in vmware. I need more HDD's for the server...

Tony

Staff member
Guess what I learned today... I learned that I SUCK at applying monokote! So the F4U is going to be stripped then it's going away. Will re-kit once I have the money.

murankar

Staff member
Space errors? Not enough memory allocation or hard drive? I have not seen those errors on mine yet. Running the latest on win10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom