Trucks Tmaxx 2.5 'rebuild'

Tony

Staff member
You can try taking it apart and cleaning and lubing the gears. Just use the same lithium you used in the starter and you should be fine.

bigone5500

What is a good starting point for carb settings on an engine that has been run before but has been taken apart and cleaned?

Tony

Staff member
Bone stock settings is what I start with. You can go in maybe 2-3 hours on the high speed, but the low speed should be pretty much set. Unless of course it was overtightened by the last owner...

bigone5500

I may try to start the engine today. I'm not real sure what'll happen though. I did figure out what the issue was with the WOT. When I gave it full throttle, the slide was hitting the easy start motor. I loosened the carb nut and turned it a little. Now it works pretty good. The servo seems to be trying to work better, maybe it just needs some exercise...???

Tony

Staff member
If it needs "exercise", then it needs to be cleaned. Let me know how the starting goes. Fuel, Fire, Compression, that's all you need.

bigone5500

I think I'll take the servo apart anyway just to ease my curiosity. I had a rough day at work and my face is raw from wiping sweat so I'll probably wait till tomorrow for the engine. I can sit right here at my desk with the window unit blowing on me and work on the servo. *sighs*...I still need to build the truck stand. So many things to do.

bigone5500

I just remembered. I forgot to mention that I ordered a set of bulkheads for the front. When I was putting it back together, I found one was cracked. I got a pair for $10 on amazon.

bigone5500

I thought about doing a video on how to install them but since you will be doing a series on the Tmaxx I'll just grab some stills and post a timeline instruction.

Tony

Staff member
Tighten up on your brake a little. You only want about 1/16" of play when not touching the trigger.

Tony

Staff member
When you are at neutral (finger not touching the trigger), you should have just a slight amount of play between the throttle and brake rods. It should be putting no stress on the servo. But the tighter you can make those rods (without putting pressure on the servo), the faster throttle and braking response you will have.

bigone5500

Roger. My parts will be here Thursday and when I get them installed it will be time for a ride! I'll try to start the engine tomorrow and get it tuned to the best of my ignorance.

bigone5500

I started the engine today. I got it to run but it dies easily when going full throttle. Also, when the truck is on the ground, I can't give it any throttle as it will also die. I think the idle needs to be slowed down as it is engaging the clutch full time.

Tony

Staff member
I can't tell if that thing sounds lean or rich, need a longer video. But yes, the idle does need to go down.

where are your needles?

Top Bottom