Trucks Tmaxx 2.5 'rebuild'

bigone5500

Got this truck today and man is it dirty. Not taken care of at all. But in actuality it's probably not as bad as it seems. There are a few parts I need to replace including skid plates, a shock spring retainer, glow plug wire, air filter, tires, and possibly the worst, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. This is going to be a fun ride as I have never torn into a truck as far as I will with this one.

First is going to be the engine. It has to run or the truck can't go. I'll clean it with alcohol then lube it with WD40. I'll reset the carb and replace the glow plug then try to start it.

20180607_184613.jpg 20180607_184617.jpg 20180607_184621.jpg 20180607_184629.jpg 20180607_184632.jpg 20180607_184636.jpg 20180607_184643.jpg 20180607_184703.jpg 20180607_184739.jpg 20180607_192402.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that thing is a truck, if it is not that dirty, then it was never driven. Take a look back at all of my videos on the T-Maxx that I had. Now THAT thing was dirty lmao.

And I will bet if you replace that stripped out spur gear, the transmission will be fine! Just remember what direction the diffs were before you pulled them out so you are not driving in reverse.

And before taking apart the engine (I think it may be too late), spin it counter clockwise and make sure it has compression the way it is.

bigone5500

I haven't touched the engine yet. Just got it stripped down some. I'll focus on the engine this weekend.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I saw that shock shaft in the pictures. Completely forgot to post it lol. But I assure you, I did see it. lmao

bigone5500

Along with the afore mentioned issues there are also some decayed rubber boots. Those will be replaced also.

As for the differentials, what oil goes in them?

bigone5500

I'm working on the easy start for the engine. I have it apart and the only grease I have is some called Zeniplex 2. It's an aluminum complex EP grease and is very good in large industrial bearings. I think it will work in here but want to be sure. I also need to know if the one way bearing needs oil.

Tony

Staff member
If you put oil on that OWB, you better make sure it is OWB grease otherwise it will start slipping. As for the other grease, as long as it has some thickness to it like axle bearing grease for your car, I don't see why not. Unless the particulates are pretty large in that grease.

bigone5500

I guess to be safe I'll get some bearing grease. I'll not oil the OWB due to the fact of I don't got no OWB grease. I think the engine has some wear on the piston and sleeve but I'll run it till it dies.

Tony

Staff member
If you can push the piston up through the sleeve and you can see the oil groove, replace the piston and sleeve. Otherwise you will play hell keeping it running.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like I might just have my truck rebuilt before you have yours rebuilt lmao.

Top Bottom