Trucks Tmaxx 2.5 'rebuild'

bigone5500

I have an idea but may be a bad one. I have the front and rear differential assemblies removed from the base plate. Would it be ok to put them in the kitchen sink and wash them up with some dish soap?

By assemblies, I mean the shocks and all are still attached.

Tony

Staff member
No, the groove is a good thing. But if you can push the piston into the sleeve and you can see the oil ring above the top of the sleeve, then the sleeve is too loose.

bigone5500

I haven't taken the head off. I think the engine is probably fine. It has good compression and makes a distinct 'pop' when rotated.

So I assume the soap and water treatment is fine.

bigone5500

I got the front, rear, and transmission washed up. I'll be tearing them down and greasing the differentials later today.

One thing I found is the front right wheel had major wobble. I figured it was due to a worn wheel. This may not be the case. I found that wheel had a different hex hub than the other three. 3 are metal and the one is plastic. I wonder what the deal is here...?

20180609_111149.jpg 20180609_113024.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That's not a different size, or didn't used to be. The one on the left looks like it has been broke off. If the back side is ragged then it was most definitely broke. Time for some aluminum ones so you can destroy wheels properly lol.

bigone5500

It's not been broken. At least I can't see any shear marks. Here is a little better photo. Left is plastic and right is steel.

20180609_114550.jpg

bigone5500

Curious question came to mind. The same grease used in the easy start is ok for the differentials right?

Tony

Staff member
I don't see any groove in that piece for the roll pin to set into like I see on the right one.

And usually the grease in teh ez start is a little light for a diff. But it can be used if that is all you have.

bigone5500

The groove is there on the plastic hub. Just not in that photo. I will get the right grease. No need in making do when you can do it right.

20180609_115544.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Very interesting on those. Looks like they broke or lost the other one and were like "hey, this one fits. Lick it and send it!!!!" lmao. But I would definitely get a new set of them. Traxxas makes some that are blue and aluminum. At least they did. I have not kept up lately lol.

bigone5500

I am going to hobby town today and have a big shopping list. I'll check those out. The most expensive item is going to be tires. All 4 are dry rotted.

Fuel tank is cleaned and ready!

15285640841458401665289814975321.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Nice, make sure the filter is not clogged in that tank and if it is, just get an inline filter like we use on the helicopters and airplanes. And make sure that gasket is in good working order on the lid and that the lid has enough spring pressure to seal it.

bigone5500

I had no idea there was a filter in the tank. I sprayed contact cleaner in the tank and it flowed out pretty fast. Maybe it will be alright. As far as the lid goes, it seals well. There is a screw under the lid that tightens it if there is an issue.

Tony

Staff member
You can use carb cleaner and blow it reverse into the tank through the filter to clean it out. Just FYI.

And that grease will work great in the diffs. I would actually suggest removing it from the EZ Start and putting lithium in there though. That stuff has a LOT of drag and can help overheat that little motor.

Top Bottom