Power Supply's Portable power supply

cml001

image.jpgimage.jpg
Alright dean... Hats off to ya bro!!! Urs is a hell of a lot cleaner than min. I HATE work'n w plexi!!! Several small crack and one rather large one coming off the right volt meter... Screw it.. It's portable and it works... Trade out the binding post when they come in as well as the grills and I'm done. Oh.. Tomorrow I'll put in the walls and lids for the storage compartment... Yeah... Glad u guys showed me this. May even look for one of those "high voltage" warming stickers.. Hehehehe.. Cover those cracks.. Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

pvolcko

Looks pretty cool. Probably don't want to leave that unattended outside a public building, though. Likely to set off some red flags and get a high velocity water shot through the power supplies. :)

deano1

Cml001 hi the bullets on the power supplys look great and I really like the idea to shrink them. The switches you used are they push switches or soft touch they look good to. smaller case than mine I think nice and tidy I really like it.

deano1

hi Graham I see the parts are coming together. In the uk Maplin do a high impact case its inside dimensions are 485x355x186mm which is similar to the Pelican 1550 which is 482x368x195 the Maplin case is £50 not that cheap but a lot cheaper than a pelican

Graham Lawrie

hi Graham I see the parts are coming together. In the uk Maplin do a high impact case its inside dimensions are 485x355x186mm which is similar to the Pelican 1550 which is 482x368x195 the Maplin case is £50 not that cheap but a lot cheaper than a pelican

@deano &Kev Cool I will be there this weekend:) I have got more parts and at work today I found an industrial drill case that may do the job as well . Either way I will have one soon. Get my cable ties from Maplin.
Cheers guys:)

cml001

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around lately... Try'n to pick up some extra hours at work... Yeah.. Looks like I should be blow'n something up with this thing right! Lol... I'm happy with it.. Got a little discouraged when the plexi started to crack.. But it's kool.. Think my grills are missing in the mail.. Still not here and I don't see tracking info into the states.. Prolly gett'n a refund on those.. But as I said it works great. Wish u had shown me this link earlier slobber.. I like that case a lot. The switches came from adafruit.com.. They have a bunch of cool stuff. It's push button hard switch.. There are several colors to pick from and u can get them as hard switch or a momentary switch(can't use the momentary for our projects)... But they have a lot of kool stuff... Not to expensive either, check it out.

deano1

Sorry about delay Slobberdog and am not that good on computers don't no how to put the web page on. But that's the case It looks a good case for the price and now at £40 I'm tempted to get one and check the difference between that and the pelican case and use for my spare dell power supplys

Graham Lawrie

I am looking at connectors for the PSU positive and negative connections rather than soldering them on. Are there ones you can buy and what are they called?

Tony

Staff member
The only connector that I'm aware of is the pins that are on the backplane of the server where this PSU plugs in. I suggest just soldering on 4mm bullet connectors. It's secure and just works.

deano1

Cml001 I forgot to mention about how I cut the plexi its a bit late I no . well first I did not take the plastic film of good protection and easy to see the lines put onto it. then make a template out of thin ply or cardboard anything very easy to work with. then I marked out with template and cut the plexi with a fine toothed wood saw and after I used a file to smooth the edges. When drilling the holes I placed the plexi on wood and took it very easy not pressing hard at all just letting the drill bit do the work . For the big fan guard holes I used a hole cutter of 50mm same thing take it easy . I hope this is helpful for anybody cutting plexi

pvolcko

The PSU has blade connectors on it, right? You may be able to find a female crimp-on blade connector at either the auto parts or car audio stores that will work. Take some measurements and bring a caliper with you to check things out before buying a bunch. :)

For this kind of high-power application, though, I'd solder on a 4-6mm bullet.

Tony

Staff member
Blades, yes. Blades that you can use automotive connectors on, NO. Remember back to the old glass tube fuses used on older cars and trucks? Remember those holders? Yeah, that is what these PSU's use.

2012-06-16 00.51.24.jpg

2012-06-16 00.51.24.jpg

pvolcko

Might be able to take a piece of copper bar and hand mill it down with a dremel tool.

Yeah, solder some bullets on there and be done with it. :)

Slobberdog

Here you go Graham, I wanted the same pic when I was going to do the job,

image.jpg

Tony done two connectors where I only done one, solder the two together on the bench the just solder them to the posts on the psu

image.jpg

Top Bottom