Power Supply's Portable power supply

deano1

Thanks i could not have built this without RC-Help. The project was really enjoyable and hope these pictures are helpful 228.jpg231.jpg229.jpg202.jpg

202.jpg

228.jpg

229.jpg

231.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Very nice. It's clean and quite usable. Are you just running dual 12v PSU's or do you plan on adding a 24v seriesed? I like it! :thumbsup:

Dirk

Now that is super cool! I like it too. Give us more detail about the inner workings please.

deano1

Thanks for the complements, its 2x hp dps600s i wired both of them into one IEC panel outlet. Plug in and they both go on standby with leds on the toggle switches to confirm. Turn on right side toggle switch gives me 12volt and the led goes off and volt meter comes on. I have the second power power supply on standby to keep it cool when on 12 volt incase voltage is going through it being wired in series. The right side is the same turn on and that gives 24volt so thats why i chose 75amp power pole connectors, there is storage in the front bit for cables. I have pictures of the build if anybody is interested i just need a pl8 now any questions no problem i will be glad to help.

Dirk

We will never say no to pics Deano! I just added a computer power supply to my Powerlab 6. Mine is a baby compared to yours, but it suffices at the moment for my 450 batteries.

deano1

portable power supplys

The case i used was a bit big but wanted room for storage as well. I got it from ebay and cleaned it with lighter fluid and it came up like new. I already had the ply wood its 18mm thick and just cut out to size for the bottom that was for the power supplys to be attatched with L brackets and then secured with M3 dual lock velcro to the bottom of the case125.jpg129.jpg193.jpg

125.jpg

129.jpg

193.jpg

deano1

Sorry about the delay i'm a bit busy at the moment.Now as u can see i had a redisign and tidy up. If i was going to do it again i would turn the power supplys over and make longer L brackets so that the AC cables run closer to the bottom just a thought.135.jpg141.jpg173.jpg

135.jpg

141.jpg

173.jpg

deano1

Just needs 5mm perspex on top all the power cables are 10awg and the rest was done with 600mm futaba 22awg extension leads which i got cheap of ebay.140.jpg168.jpg170.jpg

140.jpg

168.jpg

170.jpg

deano1

A bit of black velvet of the girlfriend and done all i need now is pl8 to finnish should be good enough for my 450 lol. was just looking on ebay and dell 6650s cheap 5mile away 72amp could not resist for a future project hope the pictures were helpful005.jpg186.jpg220.jpg

005.jpg

186.jpg

220.jpg

Lee

Its an awesome looking case. I think most people are taking notes on your design. I'll certainly be trying to copy some of your ideas deano.
You are going to mount the charger in the bottom? A lot of the ones I have seen, mount the chargers in the Lid.

deano1

The idea was for the charger to sit on top of the perspex in the middle near the back. Storage were the velvet is i would put the AC cable and charging leads. I'm not sure of what chance if any of the power supplys overheating when i charge at 30amp especially being in a case. I have put foam in the cable channel at the side of the power supplys to stop air recirculating. I have not slowed the fans using pin 4 i hope it will keep cool.

Tony

Staff member
Watch my video of me and Matt charging 9 batteries at one time. I have done the mod to slow the fans down, and in that video, you will see that the PSU's will over ride the pin and kick the fans on high if it needs to. and even pulling a constant 30 amps out of this thing, it never kicked the fans on high for more than about 30 seconds. Mostly just pulsed them. So no issue with keeping them cool on low.

pvolcko

It does look great. I'd be worried about scratching up that black plexi top. Maybe put some clear protective film on it which can be replaced when it gets nicked up enough to look unsightly. :)

deano1

Thanks Pvolcko al try that protective film. I looked at the videos so am good to go very informative and soldering 4mm bullets to power supplys i really like it.

Sparse

you could probably hook a real heli up hop in and fly with that set up.:cheerful: good build bud. up up and away LOL

Top Bottom