Power Supply's Portable power supply

deano1

thanks i really enjoyed the build if i was to do it again i would put the 4mm bullets on the power supplys great idea Tonys video. 3 servo plugs i used but Tasajara took out the ones not in use so made it more tidy nice i liked it. Anybody wanting to use these power supplys needs to look at Tony's 1000watt power supply build video and Coolgabsi 1000watt power supply using 2 dps600 affordable dependable powerful. they are exellent and a must read

Tony

Staff member
I can't remember if I posted this in this thread, but on the pins, I just bent them over and soldered all 4 of them together. If you do this, just make sure you don't touch any other pins. It's working great for me!

deano1

Thats a good really tidy idea but i have 12volt as well so i turn the power supplys on individually by the toggle switches so needed the wires for the switches

cml001

Great job! I am goin to copy your case as it seems.... Well it's just awesome... I have ordered 2 dps-600pb power supplys and a pelican off eBay. I have servo wire and other wires to match what I see in your photos. I do have a couple of questions tho. Where did u get the harness for the pins? Which pins run to your toggle switches(where did u find this toggles)? Where did you tie in for the volt meter? How did u supply power to the two fans atop the plexi? I am no electrician by any means... So I guess I'm ask'n for a wiring diagram.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

deano1

Thanks I am a bit busy but will have time Thursday I will post exactly what I used and answer your questions and use pictures if that helps

cml001

It would yes. I do apologize, after further review I answered some of my own questions... I posted after getting of work when I should have went to sleep... 6-12hr shifts back to back makes me a little stupid... Lol... I look forward to your help... Thanks again.

Slobberdog

for the switches se the two pics below

SWITCHES.jpg

and which pins are which

WHICH PINS.jpg

the two circled the same colour go to one side of a switch the other two go to the other side this is how I have mine rigged, the fan comes on when AC is applied but you switch the PSU on fully with the switch.

SWITCHES.jpg

WHICH PINS.jpg

cml001

Kool, if u enclosed the 2 PS's in a box and wanted to add 2 fans to the box u have the PS's in.... Under where Delano has the chrome ringed grills for example.... How would u wire them? Would it be advantageous (using my big boy words this morn'n) to add a amp meter to the box as well as a volt meter?... Happy Turkey Day fellas!

Slobberdog

I have mine enclosed and tbh the fans on the psu's do more than an adequate task as long as you have good air flow around the enclosure, don't think adding extra fans would be that much of a requirement,

see my build thread here to see what mine looks like for a second perspective

My charging box

hope this helps

deano1

Thanks Slobberdog you explained it better than I ever could this is what I used hope it helps any questions no problem.

2 HP DPS 600s.
Pelican case 1550. ebay.
18mm thick ply wood I had.
500x500x5mm Perspex. ebay.
Scotch dual tape. ebay.
piano hinge 500mm.
10awg silicone wire red and black 1metre of each.
6x600 futaba heavy duty extension leads. ebay.
2 binding posts for 12volt side. ebay.
2 toggle switches led tip with carbon aircraft covers 12volt. ebay.
2 Anderson powerpole 75 amp connectors with panel mount.
IEC 3pin chassis mount. check amps. ebay.
2 digital volt meters 4.5 to 30volt (2 wires only ) ebay.
2 ring connectors 30amp 12 volt. ebay.
16 caphead stainless bolts 4x10mm and nuts.
14 countersunk stainless bolts 4x15mm and nuts.
2 steel fan guards 60mm. ebay.
4 countersunk stainless wood screws.

deano1

slobberdog great charging box really like all the room in it. My toggle switches that I used were not as straightforward as the switches you used there are three connections on mine and I had to use a bridging wire as u can see on the right hand side of the picture from one connector straight to another.140.jpg

140.jpg

cml001

Awsome.... Time gather supplys... I'll let u guys kno of my progress.. Gonna be a while tho.... Holiday season & all... Plus my trusty Trooper is acting up, my have to put her in the shop... But I'll keep u guys up... Thanks a bunch.

deano1

]cml001 I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did. Regarding the ventilation I did not want to drill holes in a good pelican case I preferred to keep it water and dust proof and then maybe later I could use it again for something. Tony assured me no extra fans would be needed however I did put some foam in the channel were the cables and switch wires run for 12 volt to stop recirculating warm air going back into the power supplys you can see the foam in this picture.155.jpg

155.jpg

Slobberdog

I would have not waned to cut the holes in the side of a peli case either Deano1, that's why I ended up going for a $16 plastic tool box for mine, it was easy to work with and I don't mind what I have done to it.

but I would have loved a peli case though.

deano1

Hi Slobberdog sorry about delay been away. Yes at the end of the build though we have the same watts but you have less cost. I did get the pelican case second hand of ebay. I now have two Dell power supplys and thinking of another project and this time thought I might save some money and get a box like yours or similar for anybody interested the Dell power supplys are 1800watts and from what I can gather there is no need to modify or isolate the power supplys in any way. Its just a straight forward build but they are a good bit bigger and they have two fans in each power supply. What do you think a bit bigger but still portable and will still fit inside a pelican 1550
004.jpg

004.jpg

cml001

I've gotta get on the ball... 12hr shifts make free time hard w family, house stuff... Holidays and such... I've got all my equipment... i306B, 2 dps 600, 2 volt meters, 2 switches, and various wires... Couple misc things still needed... The case I got is crap(eBay for cheap) so I may find some other case... But I gotta get on board and start this project... Tired of charging on little eflite chargers.. Takes forever! Someone give me a "REAL" day off!

deano1

Cml001 patience my friend once you sort out what your putting the power supplys in it does not seem long before its finished. If you use the same idea as me and have ply wood or something similar to keep the power supplys in place it makes it easy to use a template say out of cardboard this made for first time perfect cut on the ply wood and Perspex. The volt meters are they the ones with two wires they make the wiring simple. I have not had much time and still have not got a charger yet was looking at the pl8 I don't no much about them so why did u choose the i306b what amps output has it any other information would be appreciated thanks.

Slobberdog

the 306b is 30 amps 6s capable,

the 308 duo is prob the best value out there at the moment as it can do 30 amps per channel at the same time and is 8s capable, plus there's other stuff as its an intelligent charger, Lee has just picked one up and he loves it,

Top Bottom