What Did You Do Today???

Yank1454

Rob, you should have seen me after I installed the engine and transaxel in the 911. I jacked it up as high as I could on stands, then used two floor jacks in tandem to snake it all in. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but I was by myself, so it took some getting up, getting down... etc. What is cool is it was all in one unit. You get it in place, four bolts, and then you just hook the electrical, linkage, oil lines, fuel, drive shafts, etc., and good to go. Oh, the reason for the extraction was the synros in the trans were bad. I had it rebuilt, new clutch, bearings, surfaced flywheel, rebuilt starter, alternator, drive shaft boots. and a restoration of the Weber carbs. Oh, I totally went through the brakes, had the calipers restored, new pads and hardware, new rubber lines on all four corners, new Konis x 4, ... All new shifter linkage bushings.... New horns... Uh... LOL!!!! And the original interior was gone, so I found original rear "seats" etc and lucked up on some aluminum frame Wolf Racing seats for the front... and a really cool Raid steering wheel, all from the same era, early 70s and rare.

It is kind of tired at 108K on the original motor, but still will run well over 135.... last time out. The plan is to pull the motor and replace it with newer one with 100 more HP. 300hp in a 2,200 pound car should be pretty quick I would think. ;)
Cool project.
Mine years ago
B4 and after.
'88 cutlass GT #95 of 400 proposed.
Paid $200 Worth $15K +

Attachments

• received_3045224612358957.jpeg
    received_3045224612358957.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3
  • received_308962871270484.jpeg
    received_308962871270484.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3

Fly-n-Low

I remember those Cutlass'!!! That one is so fine! You still have it? I had a friend that had one. Kind of their answer to the SS Monte Carlo. That Buick Grand National though!!!!

Back then I was driving an 80 Z28 with a hopped up 350 out of an old Corvette, then added an under the hood super charger, headers, a blueprinted transmission (would bark third gear!), 265 50s on the front, 295 50s rear, IROC flairs and front spoiler, and a fiberglass L88 hood. AC blew cold and it idled like a baby and it ran on rails... But oh the 0-140 it would scream!!!

Attachments

• Z28.jpg
    Z28.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Z28mot.jpg
    Z28mot.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Yank1454

I remember those Cutlass'!!! That one is so fine! You still have it? I had a friend that had one. Kind of their answer to the SS Monte Carlo. That Buick Grand National though!!!!

Back then I was driving an 80 Z28 with a hopped up 350 out of an old Corvette, then added an under the hood super charger, headers, a blueprinted transmission (would bark third gear!), 265 50s on the front, 295 50s rear, IROC flairs and front spoiler, and a fiberglass L88 hood. AC blew cold and it idled like a baby and it ran on rails... But oh the 0-140 it would scream!!!
Nice rides. I sold it years ago.
Only reason they were "GT" is a dealer in Highpoint NC got permission to do a dealer mod.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Got my motivation music going while on my flight simulator. Play both Mandalorian & The Book of Boba Fett Main Title Theme. I'm pumped & the FAA can't touch me here!!!!:emono::evil::nana::punch:

Rob Lancaster

Well, I finally got to the airfield a few days ago. Had fun, flew 4 packs. All went well until the 4th pack ran dry. I headed for the large table I took off from. I made it but slid to close to the edge, so I popped the collective pitch but went to high. The head speed blead off to fast and the heli landed hard on the uneven grassy ground snapping the right skid. Then she rolled over on the right side stopping the slow blades in the grass.

I put the stock skids back on and did a test flight in the back yard the next day. Sure enough, the tracking was a little off and she was pulling to the right. I was starting to fight it to maintain control. Time for the pitch gauge. The numbers were pretty good, so I just adjusted one turn out, one of the mixing linkages and BOOM! She floats and flies great again. WHEW!......

I made a new fly bar lock because the other one I made was way to flimsy. And again, I had some left-over aluminum stock from the antenna builds, so I whipped up this little gem. This one works well, so it's a keeper. Anyway, I need to strengthen my skid design in the weak areas. Hello nephew with the 3-D printer...

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 2

Fly-n-Low

Sweet! Amazing what a bit of tweaking can do. I set up all my links with a set of digi caps. I know some people frown upon this, but I used a set of weights and spacers to test run mine on a table after I crashed it. Blade tracking - I spent a lot of time on. Amazing how smooth you can get it. I hate vibration and so does the gyro!

So do y'all do this? This was the only way I could get my blade tracking perfect or close enough I was satisfied with...

Last edited:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Cool project.
Mine years ago
B4 and after.
'88 cutlass GT #95 of 400 proposed.
Paid $200 Worth $15K +
Very nice, I envy you. Sure do miss the era of the true American muscle cars. I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum 383HP when station in West Germany. No speed limit on the Autobon, used to give the European cars a pure fit because was able to match their speeds. USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:arms::hdbng::chickendance::yourock:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Well, I finally got to the airfield a few days ago. Had fun, flew 4 packs. All went well until the 4th pack ran dry. I headed for the large table I took off from. I made it but slid to close to the edge, so I popped the collective pitch but went to high. The head speed blead off to fast and the heli landed hard on the uneven grassy ground snapping the right skid. Then she rolled over on the right side stopping the slow blades in the grass.

I put the stock skids back on and did a test flight in the back yard the next day. Sure enough, the tracking was a little off and she was pulling to the right. I was starting to fight it to maintain control. Time for the pitch gauge. The numbers were pretty good, so I just adjusted one turn out, one of the mixing linkages and BOOM! She floats and flies great again. WHEW!......

I made a new fly bar lock because the other one I made was way to flimsy. And again, I had some left-over aluminum stock from the antenna builds, so I whipped up this little gem. This one works well, so it's a keeper. Anyway, I need to strengthen my skid design in the weak areas. Hello nephew with the 3-D printer...
Used to track blades on army helicopters; Huey's & Chinooks. No easy task especially in the winter with that down draft:emomad::lol:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Nope didn't have them in 1970s. Did it the old fashion way, remember in the old days how the trains picked up the mail without stopping? The had a specially made pole they attached the mail sack to and the RPO (Rolling Post Office) grab it on the fly with a hook. Well we had something like that with a mark tape. The helicopter spool up and the ground crew held it up for the blade to leave a mark on the tape. The tape had numbers on it for use to figure how much pitch was needed for each blade. So you can see that was time consuming, could spend several hours. Once in Vietnam we had a blade that we couldn't track and lost a whole day. That blade grip had a very fine crack discovered and the maintenance officer had us replace that part. Doing tracking on a Huey with two blades went a lot quicker than that of a Chinook with six blades. Tried to do this in calm weather if possible. But if we had to get that helicopter operational, this task had to be done regardless of what mother nature said. We sometimes worked around the clock using flood lights if needed.

Top Bottom