What Did You Do Today???

Yank1454

Very nice, I envy you. Sure do miss the era of the true American muscle cars. I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum 383HP when station in West Germany. No speed limit on the Autobon, used to give the European cars a pure fit because was able to match their speeds. USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:arms::hdbng::chickendance::yourock:
What ratio it have in back ?
4 speed auto ?

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
It was 4 speed auto. Too much torque for a standard. Can't remember the gear ratio but it had to be a beast. Also on the drag strip went thru a set a tires like bread and blew several water pumps. But I loved her and when station in the Panama Canal Zone 76-79, had it with me. Prior to returning to the states a local guy paid me full price. That's how popular American muscle cars were in Central and South America. No rust or body damage, she was in mint condition. :banana:

Yank1454

I had a '70 SS Monte Carlo.
454Hp heads,Keith Black pistons.
$6500 in engine,Trans doing myself.
Did 1/4 mile in 10.57 sec.
Last NC hurricane flooded where was stored.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Man that's a real bumper to lose a work of art like that. A '70 SS Monte Carlo OMG She ruled!!!!!!!!!!! There was a shop in Switzerland that custom built 1955 Bel Air Chevy's that looked like they came directly out of Detroit. They were that good and people had to place their order a year in advance.

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys!
Here's how the last few days went for me.

I finally retinted the rear window of the car like 4 days ago. The guy did a great job.

Yesterday I finished my brother's oil pan gasket and was on top of the world. Doing that kind of work on the ground is a real Kamala!!! Especially for me now. As I let the gasket seal set-up, I jump in the cherry Civic. Went to the store, parked the car and went into the store. Came out of the store. Got into the car and backed into a 40-foot container trailer! DOH!!!

Well see for yourselves.
I can't believe I did that!
Now I'm even deeper in the credit card hole! DOE again!!
I need to start a Go Fund Me Page already...

Attachments

• 20220128_164039.jpg
    20220128_164039.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220128_164103.jpg
    20220128_164103.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220128_164138.jpg
    20220128_164138.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 3

Rob Lancaster

Hey guy's,
Anybody know where I can get a decent analog Atomic Clock in the 12-inch range?
Keep in mind, here in Hawaii were -10 hrs. UTC. All I've been able to find are clocks that only go to west coast PST -8 hours. No good for Hawaii...

Rob Lancaster

I'll ask around.

Thanks buddy.
I wish I could've snagged one of the three cesium clocks that were used at the Omega station up the road when the station was decommissioned in Sept. 1997.
At that time and earlier, those clocks were valued at 75,000 bucks. And they had an accuracy to within; are you ready for this? One second every 25,000 years! Now that's my kind of clock.

But for some reason, the government took ALL 3 clocks when the station was abandoned. Damn them!!

Rob Lancaster

And I bet they're sitting in some warehouse collecting dust.

I wonder where they all ended up.

They stripped all the cool equipment from the Screen Room or the Timing and Control Room. I guess you could say the nick name of the timing and control room was the Screen Room. That's because the room was essentially a Faraday shielded room. That's where the three cesium clocks, five frequency generators, two signal format generators, WWV receivers, and a controller panel that was part of the things needed to switch the transmitters from "A" to the back-up "B"...

There were also some oscilloscopes and paper plotters used to monitor the stations phase and more, like various alarm panels. I still recall station "C" Hawaii's, signal format burnt onto my brain. I still hear the tones being blasted out around the world. The two huge transmitters were left behind. But they did take all the huge tubes and transformers out of them. Below is the original 1969 introduction and training video for the Omega Navigation System. I saw it built; and I saw it destroyed. Bummer!

Snap #2020 and 2223 shows the main antenna switch. Used to switch the antenna between transmitter A and B. Snaps #2169 and #2170 shows my only souvenir from my kick ass party station. It's from the antenna switch and it's shown in snap #2020, (red arrow) ... It must weigh 10 plus pounds or something. Note these giant coaxial cables were nitrogen filled to help prevent internal arcing and corrosion that would screw up the cable's impedance.

Snap #2011 shows what's left of transmitter "B".

Snap #2038 shows what's left of the screen room. The stations back-up battery room, (to keep the clocks and the whole screen room online always). It's just to the right.

Snaps Omega Japan and the one to the right shows the brains of the omega station. Timing and control! They were all identical. Rack #8 (not shown) was the main relay driver. It was kept outside the screen room because of noise and such.

Hey, can anyone spot the three cesium clocks?

Oh man I could go on! And ON!!. LOL!!!
Light bulbs that light up in your hand, look mom, no wires!!

Attachments

• Omega Antenna2.jpg
    Omega Antenna2.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02020.JPG
    DSC02020.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2223.JPG
    2223.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02011.JPG
    DSC02011.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02038.JPG
    DSC02038.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Omega Japan-01.jpg
    Omega Japan-01.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1
  • more of the omega gang.jpg
    more of the omega gang.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1

Fly-n-Low

Awesome Mr. Lewis, and thank you for your service! I worked at an FBO with a fellow that flew a Cobra in Nam. He had all kinds of stories to tell while we were in the belly of a Baron doing a spar mod AD which took at least a week... He talked about flying under bridges, cutting the antennas with rotor blades... flying well over the service altitude... And he said doing a loop happened way before people will admit.. LOL!!!

Back to the FBO, being a Beech dealership, we ran a LOT of King Airs through the hanger. Was doing a dynamic prop balance, had the cart out there, etc... Goober in the pilot seat fell asleep... or who knows??? Any way on a run up, he released the brakes and.... Everyone ran and the prop ate the cart... Talk about a high $$$$ f**k up.. Engine, prop, etc.. And a PT6 is not cheap!!!

Love the story of the muscle car in Germany!!! I have heard stories of American muscle giving them fits before. Funny though, my 72 911S (I call the "go cart") gives fits over here. Fixing to repower. It has a 2.4 @ 220hp but tired... So I figure a 3.4 300hp will be better and in a 2,100 pound car should be a blast!

Last edited:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Much respect to Cobra pilots, who flew the AH-1Gs and that's true about them doing loops:onthego:. They built up speed so fast coming out of the loop aiming towards a enemy target with their armament the VC or NVA never saw it coming. They were death from above and the infantry loved them. The Stability Armament Systems (SAS) were so good at a dead hover that they could score a direct hit. There was a special unit whose sole mission was to provide Aerial Rocket Artillery (ARA). They carried large tubes full of 7.62 rockets, and as a floating platform had perfect line of sight. Nothing escape these birds of prey and I mean nothing. With enough speed and attitude without the rocket tubes, they could do roll overs in a matter of seconds. Always wanted a Porshe 911, so after I got married my wife got me one (a plastic model one) can't never said she didn't get me a 911.:waa:

Tony

Staff member
I would like to say to those that brought politics into my website, Read the rules to this site!

2. Controversial Topics
Controversial topics, such as religion, racism, politics, abortion, retardation, etc., are NOT allowed. These topics start out civilized, but over time invariably develop into all out flame wars and heated arguments. Posting “attitudes” need to be kept in a civilized manner.

Why do I have that rule and why has it been a rule since 2011 when I created this site, because what happened above, is EXACTLY what ALWAYS happens when you bring any of those topics into a friendly forum.

To everyone involved, this is the only warning. Next time, I will hand out bans and believe me, I really do not want to have to resort to that. I love this site, I love the people that are on it but I also must protect this site. Let's keep it clean and keep having fun.

Rob Lancaster

Hi guy's, it's been a while.
I finally got the car back to her happy shinny self. The Honda body shop did a great job with the blend and everything else. I'm so paranoid now when I back up.

Hey, have you guys heard of those sky lanterns? You know those little hot air balloons?
I started launching a higher performance version of those balloons some 34 years ago. Threw out the years the quality of the birthday candles went way down so the flight times suffered greatly.

Recently a friend started to fool around with the sky lanterns and experiment with his own fireball designs. I'm not sure I want to let him light his funky balloons around here, yikes! Anyway, I'm trying to teach him how to do it right but he don't seem to interested. Oh well, I'm just going to continuing working on the ultimate candle for this special application. I've been experimenting with deferent size candles and most important, deferent size wicks. I can't believe what I've learned! The burn time is way up and I went from a small flicker to a rocket engine. I hope I don't start burning holes in the top of the balloon... LOL! Oh wait! That's serious.....

Top Bottom