What Did You Do Today???

bigone5500

scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred ! :arms:
It has a few problems such as clutch and fuel injection. Other than that it has original tires and will need new ones. These don't look too bad but at 14 years old they can't be trusted. One thing is for sure, the chrome is proving to be a major PITA to polish.

bigone5500

I found the wiring harness to the ECU was chewed by rats. Luckily I was able to repair the single wire and now along with the factory exhaust it idles smoothly and is nice and quiet. The fuel injection problem is gone too. Now to drain the oil, remove the filter and attempt to repair the stuck clutches. Hopefully I won't have to buy new ones.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Sounds like a labor of love. Knowing when she's done heads will be turning so hard they'll hurt the neck. I have some biker friends who appreciate a work of art. :peaceful:

Rob Lancaster

Hey guys, last night I was making a AAA 6-volt alkaline battery pack out of a half inch copper pipe and fittings.
I found out the hard way that when using you're run of the mill alkaline batteries, if there's a scratch or scrape in the label (or the side of the cells canister) that cell can short to ground.

I didn't know that! Wow that's kind of a delicate set-up. From now on, I'll make sure all the outer insulative casing have no flaws... Remember folks, if it stores energy, it can burn you, so treat it with care! Whew the burns aren't bad.

bigone5500

Hey guys, last night I was making a AAA 6-volt alkaline battery pack out of a half inch copper pipe and fittings.
I found out the hard way that when using you're run of the mill alkaline batteries, if there's a scratch or scrape in the label (or the side of the cells canister) that cell can short to ground.

I didn't know that! Wow that's kind of a delicate set-up. From now on, I'll make sure all the outer insulative casing have no flaws... Remember folks, if it stores energy, it can burn you, so treat it with care! Whew the burns aren't bad.
You can use the thin plastic that is used in blister packaging to make an insulating layer between your batteries and the metal.

bigone5500

Well I was successful in repairing my clutches. Those things were rusted together. Luckily they very easily pried apart with a screwdriver with a gentle touch. I used some 220 grit emory cloth to get the heavy rust off then soaked the metal plates in evaporust for about an hour. I soaked the clutches in 30w oil in the meantime. It wasn't too bad of a job for my first time with a clutch pack. I ordered a new K&N air filter for it also. Next project is to remove the spark plugs and see how they look. There is a slight miss in it that is annoying. I may have to just run it for a while to get the old fuel out. However, I did put a good bit of fresh in along with a little marvel mystery oil and some seafoam.

Rob Lancaster

You can use the thin plastic that is used in blister packaging to make an insulating layer between your batteries and the metal.

Good idea! Except the batteries barely fit the 1/2-inch copper pipe so there's no room for a plastic or electrical tape insulator. So this time I cleaned the little burrs from the cutting process off. I know that's what caused the scratch in the insulating coating. I installed new batteries a while ago and so far no hot potato...

Tony

Staff member
Today, I broke the website lol. Well, the server. so the website will be moving to a new server and I was going to do it in a way that kept the site up, and yea, didn't work. sorry for anyone that has tried to access the last few hours.

Rob Lancaster

No problem on this side.
Except we're trying to solder a power supply together but we're having trouble getting the right DC voltage out of it. It's a very simple thing to build but it ain't work'n LOL!

Oh wait, there she goes! The voltage is good, and the AC ripple voltage is nice and low. But Tom want's a lower ripple voltage, so we'll just add more capacity and hope the in rush isn't too much. We'll see. The O- scope will tell the truth...

Last edited:

bigone5500

Got new tires put on my cruiser yesterday. Also had to fix the fuel pipe I broke off from the gas tank slpiiping off the side. It was for the best though as it forced me to take them both off the intake and therefore removing both injectors. Lo and behold the injectors had crap all in them. I cleaned them out with degrease and eventually got the bike back together. I couldn't believe how gods it ran. No more sluggish performance and nice smooth throttle. Plenty of power too. Overall I'm happy with this bike. I am now thinking seriously about selling my ninja.

Tony

Staff member
I would just like to go on record and state DNS can be a major PITA!!!!! OMG. I'm done poking the server for at least a week lol. Sorry about that everyone.

bigone5500

I'd like to know how you have a web site on your own server and the .com address still works. What do you tell your ip address to so it knows where to direct traffic? I've never really researched that.

Tony

Staff member
I'd like to know how you have a web site on your own server and the .com address still works. What do you tell your ip address to so it knows where to direct traffic? I've never really researched that.
This is exactly what DNS is. Basically, you type in "rc-help.com" and that is resolved to an IP address that you set with your registrar to point to a specific IP address. Since this is hosted here, you have to specifically open ports in your firewall that would normally not be open, but since it's only pointing to one internal IP address in the network, it cannot see the rest of the network.

But, it all starts with DNS and setting your A record "@" to the IP address where the server is. In my case yesterday into today, I was hit with the very long propagation issue. Usually it's very fast (within an hour), but this time it responded in 1.5 hours, then went away again for 12 hours, and then came back today. DNS, what PITA lol.

Top Bottom