What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

There is a lot of lightning... but the threat has become one with wind and rain. Most wind gusts have been in the 50-60mph range with some spotty reports of up to around the 90mph range. I've seen radar indicated speeds of up to 127mph but understand those are the outliers and may be in error. In anycase, radar indicated winds are at the height of the radar beam and may not be the same on the ground. Trees and signs, including billboards, are down everywhere.

Tony

Staff member
I made a slight change to the ad formats. I put the smaller ad back at the top (sorry mobile users...) but I left the larger "responsive" ad at the bottom. I'm curious what adsense is going to do about that one. I know I'm not the only one that has been hating this massive format...

leedude1

I was fooling with it last night, knowing I hadn't changed anything on my PC .
I was able to upload a picture from my PC that I had already posted on the forum, therefore it was the picture itself. I deleted it from my PC and downloaded it again from my phone. I realized the photo was larger than others I've used so reduced the file size and that did it.

Tony

Staff member
Hm, the server is usually pretty good about resizing photos. We had this issue a couple years ago and I could have sworn we resolved it. I will keep an eye on it and see if I can improve it.

Tony

Staff member
So I went out to replace both of the radiator hoses but after charging the battery, filling up the compressor, putting air in the right front (goes flat every 2 days, rim leak at the tire seal, hard to fix) and getting it pulled into the garage with no water, my back was already telling me I had enough, and I hadn't even done anything yet. So I pull off the CAI (Cold Air Intake, SLP Stainless if anyone cares, probably not...) and there is the upper hose that blew out. I take and compress the spring clamps and the hose comes off without a fight, very odd for a car that is over 23 years old.... Whatever, I grab the new hose, measure out where to cut the excess hose off at, cut it, and put it on. I just so happen to have some antifreeze behind the drivers seat (small leak on the heater hoses, but those hoses are $200... I will just keep dribbling in coolant lol) and I put it in the radiator.

The antifreeze was full strength so no worry about overheating or freezing since I topped it off with RO/DI water, which is the purest form of water there is. Nothing but hydrogen and oxygen. So I get it mostly topped off and need to start the car to get it to warm up and open the thermostat and right when I start it, the ac compressor clutch is making a horrible noise. Yup, it was rubbing the pulley face even though there is no refrigerant in the system and thus, will not kick in the electromagnet to suck the clutch to the pulley. Maybe there is a fault causing it to energize... I don't know. So I turn it off and the clutch is still sucked up to the pulley.... So I grab a screw driver and try to pry the two apart and yea, they are not coming apart without some real force...

I ended up grabbing a pick and a small screw driver and working it where I got the screw driver between the clutch and pulley and put some heavy force on it to see if it was magnetic force or if it was just tension... It was what I didn't want, tension. Somewhere in the years this has been on the car, this clutch has gotten stupid hot and warpped the little pieces of metal that are made to PULL the clutch away from the pulley. Now, they are forcing it to the pulley causing a horrible grinding sound and producing a lot of heat and some sparks. Real safe...

So I have two options here, actually 3, okay maybe a few more after that...
  1. I can get a new compressor. It's only $300... Who needs food, a roof over their head, electricity....
  2. I can buy a new clutch and removal/install tool... Not as expensive, but still out of my range at the moment sadly.
  3. I can purchase the removal tool only... Cheapest by far, but far from cheap for my situation...
  4. I can rent the tool from autozone, but sadly the check you use as collateral would bounce higher than any bouncing ball in the history of bouncing balls (there is an innuendo in there somewhere...)
  5. I can take a rather large pry bar and just break the clutch straight off of the compressor and hope like hell I don't damage the pulley since it is an important part of the belt system on these cars....
Pretty much my only option is 5... There are other options but lets face it, it needs to be replaced so why bother being gentle with it. I guess there is a 6th option that goes along with option 5, adn that is to back off the nut that is holding the clutch on and pry on it at different spots to work it further from the pulley. This actually may be the best option with the least risk to the pulley attached to the compressor.

I do still need to pull everything off of the front of the compressor and replace the front seal. It started leaking about 5 years ago and I just never got around to getting all of the tools around to replace it. Hell, I have the seal on top of my tool box, but I don't have a seal puller (can just use a slide hammer and drywall screw honestly), I don't have the seal installer (very important to keep from ripping the new seal), I don't have the clutch puller, I don't have the clutch installer, I don't have the pulley puller, but I do have the snap ring pliers to remove the 2 snap rings holding all of that on, so I guess there is that....

By the time I was done with the upper hose and trying to figure out what I was going to do about the AC, my back said you had enough and I turned off the battery charger, turned off the compressor (air compressor for the shop), closed the doors and turned off the lights.

Oh, and the power steering pump is whining again because it is out of fluid due to a leaking pressure hose, or might be return.... not sure. Everything leaks on this friggin car... But, have to have money to fix every bit of it and there is no money coming in at all and I"m looking to start selling off things just to pay for gas to drive back and forth to OKC in this clapped out POS because there is absolutely no work down here where I am... Not for an old fart like me.... Sometimes, life just sucks...

Rob Lancaster

Hey Tony; What kind of a car do you have?

The one I have is a 1982 Honda Accord 5 speed hatchback. And she's in so many pieces and it will stay that way. It's a great car but I simply don't have the back bone to replace the cam, carb, yup I said carb, radiator and all hoses. Of course the battery and timing belt and all outer belts and seals. Then the dash board has to go back in. Next comes the lower cowl under the windshield, it needs to be riveted in place before the windshield is installed. Then the two front fenders are installed. Now the windshield needs to be installed. Let's not forget the steering column. Oh and the seats are waisted! All fluids need to be replaced and the fuel system needs cleaning and fuel hoses need to be replaced. The axils need to be repacked and the boots need to be replaced. Oh I almost forgot. Because the Silver Edition has gone where no '82 Honda Accord was supposed to go, "the pineapple fields and mountains"..
The inner and outer Tyrod's are bad so the car can't be properly aligned until that is corrected. Just incase you're wondering, I already replaced all struts. I blew the left rear one years ago on one of the missions, ha! Indeed she's been brutalized, LOL!! Sometimes while jamming in the fields, the vibrations are so bad; I taught da windshield was going crack brada.. LOL!!!!!

The car has been sitting for so long the thing is starting to rust out again! It was the rust that got under the bottom of the windshield seal that swelled so bad, the windshield cracked up bad. The early Honda's had crappy steel and they were not etched dipped before painting. NOT GOOD IN HAWAII!!! Cancer city babee! Now their awesome when it comes to the steel and body prep, but now days the paint quality on the new cars suck! The sun literally burn off the paint in 5 to 8 years, if left in the sun, here in Hawaii. (Water colors thanks to the liberals)… But at least you can repaint a car with little or no major body work, unlike with my '82 Accord, I should have bought stock in fiber-bondo, and with a uni-body, what a nightmare.

Hey,, at least my back is getting better. But I'm not sure I want to destroy it by putting a car back together that doesn't have AC, power steering, auto trans, airbags, antilock brakes... Oh I need a navigation system too. I hate to not know the course.

It's like China in rush hour around here... BLINKER optional!! And if one guy goes through the intersection and turns left and cuts you off,, they all think they can go and your an ass hole for going strait! I've come with in inches to dick heads that are mystified to the rules of the road. Yup; airbags and ABS are now a equipment requirement! Every time I get on the highway I look around at all the cars around me. I think most if not all of those drivers are not really qualified to operate a motor vehicle in the first place. In fact, if there was the slightest emergency at 60 or 70 mph,, were all dead!! FOOLS!! Oh; don't get me started, LOL! Remember, head on a swivel and keep'm away from you; or else...

Ok, rant over... :biggrin1:

Ok Tony, take care of your back too and I'll try to do the same. But like you; I no mo money, so life does suck often,, Hawaii isn't all it's cracked up to be; believe me, dang.. What, you want a whole nother rant? No, no! It's to late, lol!

Maybe I'll take up the new Trex tomorrow, we'll see. o_O
Take care everyone...
Rster...

Top Bottom