What Did You Do Today???

Admiral

Recently cruised from Singapore back to Australia, about 12 hours out of Darwin there was a medical emergency requiring evacuation. The ship has no Heli deck so the patient had to be winched off the back deck, the rescue crew and the ships crew did a great job just thought I would share.

dawn rescue (Medium).jpg IMG_20190831_111838 (Medium).jpg IMG_20190831_111849 (Medium).jpg

Rob Lancaster

Ok,, yesterday the dishwasher's soap door starts to not open during the wash cycle.
What's this, the thing is only 24 years old, ha! With that said, there's no digital controls on this babee.

So I take off the front panel and inspect the operation of the soap door, spring and bimetal release mechanism. All is fine there. Ok let's find out why the bimetal release isn't getting voltage.. Fallow the wires up to the what? "The timer"...

I know that's it so I go online and search for the part. For some strange reason, the part is no longer available. What, after 24 or so years; haa!
I'm sit'n there think'n, this is it for the ole gal...
But then again,, can the timer or what ever's inside that mechanical box that's causing the non-triggering of the soap door, still be corrected?... Can the box be disassembled so I can get in there for a closer look? Hummmmm…….

Upon closer inspection the answer is yes. The timer box can be carefully disassembled with a pair of plyers. Just bent the locking tabs to strait and the sides come off. Bingo!! Now I can learn how she works and hopefully find out what's wrong and fix the problem. It really didn't take that long after that to figure out.

In the timer box is a multi cam spool. The cam moves electrical relay type connections up and down for different timed functions. Guess what?.. The one for the soap door release was a bit arced black but not to pitted. They all needed cleaning but this one apparently needed more. Bro Tom forks over some electrical parts cleaner so I soak the contacts and brush where I can get the brush into. If I bend the contact reeds, (for lack of a better word) I'll really doom the machine. After cleaning, (I hope), I blew out the relay mechanism with some canned Ozone/O2 that showed up conveniently.

Time to reassemble!
Now it's time to test.
He nails it!!!
After three tests, the soap door works every time. Well at least three times so far; HA!
Lookin at the whole picture, all the gears and cam lobes are ok so I think we had a typical relay contact fault. That is, I hope!!!!.... I also add, I hope what's left of the contacts; they handle for a while,, Worn contacts are worn contacts; DOH!!

Check out a few pics...
R..

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 6

Tony

Staff member
Pretty much what I would have done, and pretty much did do to out washing machine lol. If my dishwasher goes out, the wife will make me (if I can) buy a new one. The one that we have sucks big time (came with the house). You can also hit those contacts with some emery cloth to scuff them up if there is enough metal left. It's like filing the points on an old car lol.

Rob Lancaster

It's like filing the points on an old car lol.

Exactly!
That brings me back to when my dad had a 1976 Honda Accord. It had ignition points. It was a great car except for the points that needed replacement every 15,000 miles. Oh and it was the biggest rust trap you ever did see, lol...…

Rob Lancaster

Red alert...…. Again....………
Here we go again folks..
Today at 5:06pm the civil defense sirens on the whole island sounded again. So far not a word about what happened this time. LOL!

Last time we were told a missile from North Korea was in bound. Man the population panicked and ran. People were stuffing there kids into storm drains!.... Me,,, it was the morning so I slept through the whole thing, LOL!! After a nice yawn in the afternoon, I was told about the whole event.

leedude1

Yeah well if your gonna go ...best way is to go is in your sleep I always say. lol Plus if their inbound already, you ain't gonna get far enough away.. go take a nap and see whats left when you wake up.. less traffic too I bet.

Tony

Staff member
If you have to take this into the shower with you, it's been a rough day......

81JO9vqIQQL._SL1500_.png

That image was WAY bigger than I thought it was...

Rob Lancaster

Ok, I go for another Becks in the outside patio refrigerator, right.
I sense a disturbance in my defensive sphere so I look down.
I see a nice 5 or so inch centipede come'n my way!! Dance babee!!!

Honestly this was an American Funniest Home Video clip for sure!
I look for a club or tongs but no way. I only find a fly swatter. Oh man, a hand phaser would have been a better find but no way; doe!!

Anyway, I swing'n the fly swatter at this thing with NO effect! I took out a piece of the swatter and this damn thing rears up on me and starts to bounce about. Without long tongs; I'm out of here!!! It get's away, and I'm hoping that thing doesn't find it's way into the house...

Sweet dreams,,
R..

Tony

Staff member
I hate this mouse....

So I was working on my router (it's a Linksys with DD-WRT on it) and I have one of my 8TB drives connected to it that I use as a file storage drive. I went into the NAS menu and was verifying things when I hear a click... The left button on this mouse is so light and requires so little pressure, that I wasn't even (or so I thought) pressing on it and it clicked. Guess where my mouse was on the screen?.... THE FRIGGN FORMAT BUTTON!!! Yea, it was hovered over the bright red format button for the 8TB drive that I have ALL of my files on. No conformation, no warning and NO way to stop it. That fast, because of a stupid POS Logitech mouse, all files GONE!!!

Thankfully most of the files are also on my server but I still lost quite a few files. This mouse is going to go into the jaws of my bench vise, then into the burn barrel. With everything else that has went wrong in the last couple of months, I damn sure didn't need this...

RandyDSok

The switches in the Logitechs are still some of the better ones you'll find but like everything, they will also wear out. There are replacement switches available but usually after a few years of use, I still prefer to replace the whole mouse.

Tony

Staff member
That is just the thing... This is my NEW mouse that I just purchased not 6 months ago or so. My Microsoft Sidewinder still has, after 8 years, stronger switches than this brand new Logitech mouse. It was dumb luck that the pointer was over that format button, but I feel it wouldn't have happened if the mouse had stronger switches.

Top Bottom