What Did You Do Today???

murankar

Staff member
About to take a test that is scheduled for 7 hours. Its claimed it has been done in 3. We shall see. Not looking forward to this test. I will be i radio silence for most of the day.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I wasn't careful and screwed up and put a micro quad in the air FPV style. Yea, "rusty" is an understatement.........

murankar

Staff member
No it's bout time slacker.

Wget, the only way to download, :lmao:

Finished the 7 hour test in 5.5 hours. I got my score on the test already, 93. Yes I am disappointed. Don't ask; just know I dropped 7 points on stupid stuff.

If you had to crunch in 5 days the info in had to you would be ecstatic to have a 93. I on the other hand am not good with it.

So i had to configure 2 clients, 3 servers and one of those servers was reconfigured 3 times per the test.

It's amazing to see how the military side of IT works.

Tony

Staff member
Wget, the only way to download
Yea, but if you create a text file, lets call it files.txt, you can populate that file with all kinds of links, do a wget -i files.txt and it will download everything in that file while you are sleeping. Great for those (me) that have slow internet connections.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah about that :lmao:
Make sure you understand the man pages before using.

Never do switches unless that what you NEED.

Tony

Staff member
So over the last week or so I have been transferring all of the files from teh 8TB drive that I had in my desktop computer onto the 8TB drive in my server so that I could eventually take that 8TB out of my desktop and put it in the server. Man that sounds redundant lol. So I did that and today, my last day on the trial of Unraid before I have to purchase the license, I decided to power the server down, take out a 500GB WD drive that still has VMWare on it in a running config as well as one of the old Seagate 7200.11's. If anyone knows computers, you know about the 7200.11. It's a 500GB drive and they ALL FAIL!!! So no surprise that it was giving off SMART errors in my server.

I did all of that and when I powered the server back up, I was greeted with a message saying the array could not be started because it was invalid. Oh goodie. I did some research and the only thing that I could find was an article saying that you can remove any drive you want and replace it with another drive, but you have to rebuild the array. To me this means I lose EVERYTHING. Not something that I really wanted to do. I even tried powering it back down, installing the 500GB drive back into the system and power it up just to see if I could remove the disk before I installed the 8TB drive. And NO, you can't do that.

So I powered down again, took out the 500G drive and put in the 8TB drive, powered it back up and did what that article said to do. I checked all of the "preserve" boxes that I possibly could to hopefully NOT lose all of my data (if this would have went south, I definitely would have lost ALL my data. There are no backups of what is on that first 8TB drive...). I did that and it reset all of the drives back to their original state. Thankfully, any drive that was in there and was already populated stayed exactly as they were. I was then able to format the 8TB drive and add it to the array as well.

The thing that sucks though is every time you power down the server, you have to go through a stupid process to get it back up. If you are doing a cold boot (booting from completely powered off as if unplugged) I first have to wait for the PSU error to come up (you hear a beep) and I have to hit F1 to continue the boot sequence. It WILL fail to boot. I'm trying to boot from a USB stick and for some reason, on a cold boot, it will not initialize the thumbdrive. I have to wait for it to say NO OS, and without powering it down, I have to pull out the thumb drive and put it back in (while on the same No Os screen) and it will beep. Once I hear it beep, I can do a ctrl+alt+del on the server and it will boot just like it should (this is called a warm boot if you were wondering). I have not found a way around this. And today, I have made that job even harder because I'm using a long usb thumb drive and I have a port on the inside of the case on the motherboard that I can plug it into. I did this so I would not hit it and break it. So now every time I"m about to do a cold boot, I will have to pull the side panel off of it and pull that friggin stick out and put it back in.... ugh. I need a new server....

Tony

Staff member
Finally got this switch working. Don't you just love it when you have a loop in your network somewhere....

Tony

Staff member
It is confirmed, my Swann cameras are NOT POE. They have the RJ45 jack, but they MUST be powered via the 12v line. There is a workaround on this though to where I can use my switch to power them, and that is a POE to 12v adapter like the one below. I think I may need to pick up a few of them....

Amazon product

Tony

Staff member
Had a second Foundation Pro Test Kit from RedSea sent to me from BRS and this one is leaking as well. So I think I'm done with the Red Sea kits. I will say this though, BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has AWESOME customer service. Rather than sending a third test kit, he offered to refund my money and I could go to a local store and pick up the kit locally. I didn't want to do that because they have provided awesome CS and I wanted to keep that money with them, so I just had them put it in as a credit. I think I'm going to order a different test kit this time. Hanna maybe?...

RandyDSok

Tony,

I talked to my friend after we spoke on the phone, he mentioned that Cisco switches have a way to "reflash" their OS's in a recovery mode... it may be something you may want to look into to see if the Brocade also has that option or not.

He'd still be happy to look at it as I mentioned if you wish. It'd probably be a good idea to also bring the console cable you mentioned since that'd keep him from needing to rewire his T/R wires ...

Tony

Staff member
I'm guessing you do it via the console port? I will definitely look into it. I would like to keep this old switch (by a week lmao) as a backup and all I have to do is put my current config on it and go.

As for my console cable, I just tore the serial end apart and put 3 wires coming out of it. One ground, one Tx and on Rx. I just swap the Tx and Rx and it works. As far as I know from what I have read, that is the only difference between the console port from a Cisco and a Brocade.

Tony

Staff member
Had to install my OS AGAIN because Microsoft accounts are STUPID!!! Forgot to do a local account only.

Top Bottom