What Did You Do Today???

murankar

Staff member
so then cisco commands will work on the switch.

So you will need some help setting up the switch. If so Ill send you some commands to help you out.

If you have it on there you can set up vlans to segregate your network traffic.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not 100% sure on that. There are some options that say router, but I have not played with them yet.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I screwed up. I was thinking that something that I had done was causing some issues, so I decided to start over. Well, shouldn't have done that.... Now I have to either make or buy a console cable.... ugh.

murankar

Staff member
Without a router you want be able to transfer traffic between Vlans . If you go that route. On your small network the only thing I would segregate is your security stuff from the rest of the network. That's way your security stuff can't be seen through a network breach.

RandyDSok

I'm giving up on it and tossing it in the trash. Lesson learned.

I may know someone interested in your trash... LMAO

( and may know someone else that may be able to help setup ... not me so I can't speak for them but I suspect he'd be interested if he has time ).

Tony

Staff member
I have been doing a lot of reading and I think I just need to get me a console cable and put an emulator on my computer. Hard resets on these switches puts it into a state where there are no users, no ip address, nothing. You have to physically go into it and set that up. I have one on order, and if mine doesn't work, Matt I'm sure has one for a Brocade (they are different from Cisco) and hell, you or your room mate (lol) might have one. Finding one online that came with one of these servers is proving impossible. Once I find one that works, if it is not mine and I can't keep it, I'm pinning this thing out and making my own. I don't care if I have to use some sort of jank ftdi adapter or whatever lmao.

RandyDSok

When my friend is configuring a switch or router, he typically uses a secure shell client like Putty and a console cable... ie just using the CLI of the device he is connecting too. Of course, since my friend is Cisco certified... all of his console cables are Cisco compatible as far as I know.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, from what I have been told, the pin out is different between the two. You would think there would be a standard beyond the physical size of the port...

murankar

Staff member
Nope they do that to force you into cisco products.

Yes you will need putty and a cable until you get remote admin setup. They should have provided a cable.

Tony

Staff member
Wife made me turn the AC on in the house last night. Earliest in the year that I have ever turned the AC on...

Tony

Staff member
T-Maxx video may be a little late today. Had some editing issues, but the video is rendering now and once it is done, I will get to uploading.

Tony

Staff member
Just had to order a SECOND 48 port switch. Yup, I will have a total of 96 ports available to me if I can figure out how to reupload the firmware to the first one I purchased... Yup, I bricked it....

Top Bottom