600 Uri's Big bird build journal

Tony

Staff member
Bring it on, I will pull out the pro for that one! I think you and I, tomorrow, stall turn comp!!! (*slaps Rodney with a leather glove across the face*)

trainrider06

Ohhhh! The ultimate insult! (Leather glove slap) well your lucky I gotta work tomorrow, but hopefully I can get to the field Friday and show you how the pro's do it, and I will add another little tiny heli to my canopy to signify another bandit downed by the Ace!

murankar

Staff member
HA you guys have too much time, lol.

My issues are not enough stick time. If I ca get the stick time I might be able to get past the mental hurdles that I have. That's my biggest issue right now. Mental blocks. On the sim no issues, in real life brain freeze.

Tony

Staff member
I had the exact same thing happen to me. You know what pushed me past it? I just forced myself to do it. I had practiced on the sim, but I was scared to crash my heli. So one day, I just did it. This goes with flips/rolls, inverted hover, hammerheads and so on. Once you do the first one (hammerhead is by far the easiest to get out of if you screw up), then the next ones will just come naturally. But sometimes you have to move out of your comfort zone and just do it. That is what I had to do.

trainrider06

Well....of course unless your a natural born Ace pilot like me...haha!
Just get one of your lesser heli's and mess with it Uri, one that won't hurt so bad if you smack it.
Just Hoover the heck outta that Goblin if you want.
When I first got this 500 Pro all put together, I was so freaking freaked out and intimidated with it, just saw $$ signs every time I spooled it up to hover it even. My other heli's I could fly fine. Then one day I was like, well shoot I should be able to fly this 500 because I've been flying these smaller ones just fine.....so I just brought it up into a hover, turned right, and took off.
Granted the first time I only made 2 passes (because I was shaking so bad I could barely hold the radio) and landed it.
Lol but after that I was a lot less nervous on the next pack. Just take your time, you'll go when your ready.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah the 180 cfx needs a few things. Servo caps, blades and I tihnk thats it. Last i checked it I had to invest another 60 or so to get it running.

trainrider06

Well it just takes a bit to get back into the swing of things, myself I will not even fly one after a major build or rebuild until I at least get a couple packs through it, and move it around a bit to check flight controls a few times. I mainly just do that for my own mind to feel more confident with it.

trainrider06

Yup! I'll admit it! I don't get to fly it seems but once a month, and I have to get back into the groove each time....very frustrating...:(
If I had my ol country estate instead of this dang city slicker house now I could be better versed in stick time...:((
But I am still Ace pilot....:wink:

murankar

Staff member
Well folks the Packs are made and the UI sensor installed and verified it was working. The Image below is a screen shot of the 570 screen once its all connected. In the volts section you see 2 numbers: the top is the RX pack and the bottom is the flight pack(s). I cant remember right off hand if i did that with one pack or 2. If I did it with one pack then my home made jumper wire was installed. What I do for that is plug the jumper into the ESC negative and plug the pack into the ESC positive. 5 hours of messing around with the packs.

If anyone decides on using the Castle bullets let me know they can be a PITA. This assemble the opposite of EC5s. You slide the housing on the wire first, solder the connector and then slide the connector in to the housing. You WILL need to use something to push the connector into place and maybe even a hammer. They are that hard to get into place. Once they are in the male connectors may need the metal ends squeezed a bit so they slide together with some ease. If you don't then you will have issues pulling them apart.

All up weight with flight packs is 3.7 Kilos or 8.2 pounds.

Off to the shower and maybe eat.

00393_Goblin_570_UI-Sensor.png

00393_Goblin_570_UI-Sensor.png

Last edited:

trainrider06

Yeah I have had those connectors before the ones where you pull the wire through then solder the connector to the wire. A tip off is to look at the bullet and you can see there is a bevel toward the back of the connector where the slot clicks into the plastic connector...

murankar

Staff member
2 problems; Just realized I need to build a charge board which = more soldering and the weather is going to be super crappy till next week.

murankar

Staff member
rainy all weekend. It was foretasted to be in the 70s by monday now its in the lower 60s cloud with a 40% chance of rain.

Smoggie

I hope the weather breaks for you and you get a chance to get a maiden in. Good luck if you do and dont forget the pics and video :poidh:

murankar

Staff member
I finally broke down last night and made the charge board for the packs. I charged up the packs and went to finish the setup. After messing with the hobbywing for over an hour I finally got the dang gum thing to work. Here is the deal with the 100A Pro V3 HV, the port for the fan in the front of the esc is used to program the esc. It also provides power to the programmer. Once I figured that out I was able to go in a change the PWM and kHz and I think thats all I had to play with at the moment. have yet to set up the governor because I cant go out and fly. We have 80-100% chances of rain all day today and all weekend. Time to break in some packs on the bench. At this point the Gobby should be all ready to go up in the air. The radio is setup, endpoints, gear ratios, pole counts, etc, etc etc. Now its time to set the alarms for low voltage on the radio for both the flight pack and the RX pack.

murankar

Staff member
OH yeah, it stopped, well stopped enough, raining at lunch. Went out at got gov store on the hobbywing set. Head speed at 50% is 1780 without load. Now that I have my head speed displayed on the radio I can adjust the head speed to 2100, 2200, 2300. Currently I am using the stock 21 tooth pinion. Who am I kidding yes I even got it off the skids just enough to make a smile. I had to smoke a cigarette afterwards.

This thing sounds so awesome. In real life these things operate so smooth.

Top Bottom