600 Uri's Big bird build journal

trainrider06

Yep! That's the thing with the bigger birds, that size both in dollar signs, and physical size tend to screw with ones head! :)

Smoggie

The 'pucker factor' of a big heli soon wears off, trust me. Once it does you will find that they are so much easier to fly, kinda like flying via slow motion replay compared to a smaller heli. They give you so much more time to think.

murankar

Staff member
If the wind stays down today I'll be out after class. I am thinking of setting the same head speed for each bank. I am around 84% for throttle output. This is netting me between 2100 and 2200. 90% did not seem to add much.

Smoggie

The rule of thumb for governor use is 85% is the maximum that you can go to and still have enough 'overhead' to maintain constant headspeed under load and/or when the battery runs down.

Given that you appear to be close to the maximum governable speed 2100-2200RPM seems kinda low. The manual talks about 2500RPM+ for a 12s setup for hard 3D. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure 2100-2200 is plenty for now but it surprises me that you need to top out your governor % to get it (with stock gearing).

Did you calibrate the throttle range in the ESC?

murankar

Staff member
that was sitting on the ground and not truely monitoring the head speed. I have a hard time taking my eyes off the heli while it is spooled up. I may have to reset the gov store feature on the hobbywing.

murankar

Staff member
SO the Saga continues. So I did fly Saturday but no video, and Tony has been relentless on my butt because of it. I think Ill be getting the ban stick next if I dont start cooperating around here.

Now for the most interesting part, the Garbon is broke. No I did not crash but I did how ever forget to remove the blade holder before plugging in the RX pack. I leaned a couple things on Saturday, One) Blade holders are over rated, Two: BK Servos are strong enough to brake the horns and Three: the horns are weak enough to break before the servo does.

With the advent of this new test on the Garbon, I know have not only new SAB horns due in I also have the motor and esc for the X3 packed with it. What does this mean; someone should be flying this weekend.

Tony

Staff member
Are the arms metal or are they plastic? And yes, those servos are overly powerful! lol. But you know this, now... And never leave the hair back on a heli when turning it on, again, you know this now lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Plastic arms. I have SAB arms coming in which are also plastic. They come highly rated so I figed at $4 a piece they should be worth it. This also means I will be replacing possibly 4 arms this weekend. Before I leave I will be ordering another set of 4.

Smoggie

I use the SAB horns on a couple of my helis, they are nice and chunky, I like them. Powering up the heli with the blade holder in place is something I guess we have all done, I bet you wont do it again though!

Looking forward to the video, if you do one I promise to do one too (complete with shameless copy intro).

murankar

Staff member
Copy what you will nothing shamelss about it. If you aint cheatin you aint tryin.

As for the blade holders, I will probably do that a couple more times.

trainrider06

Man I have caught myself a couple times almost powering up the heli with blades pinned back....luckily I concentrate on other stupid things to screw up on!

murankar

Staff member
I dont use the blade holders a lot. I normally just fold the blades back or leave them extended. Unless I am traveling.

murankar

Staff member
Befor I get to far into this YES i have followed the :rules: and got video. It needs cleaned up and uplaoded. I got the new servo arms installed and boy they look beefy. Right now there is a big left drift in the Gobby. I did the auto trim flight and it didnt help. Now I will need to run though the setup to get it spot on again. Flight went smooth from what I could tell. Once I get the swash set back up I will go in and re do the auto trim flight. I did put the Gobby on the bench and check the servos. Yes they are all moving. With these new horns it threw off the setup from the old horns. That made 4 flights today. 2 of witch are on video; one X3 and 1 Gobby.

murankar

Staff member
I still have some editing to do on my last outings. For now I would like to leave you mesmerized by my lack of skills.

What happened? All I can think of is that the tail did not have enough energy to stop the kick when I re engaged the motor. The tail kicked and in panic mode I forgot to get the switch back to motor off. According to my battery checker I still had 48% battery left.

flight 3 20160527 - YouTube

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:censored: :damnit: dude, that sucks. I wish you a cheap & speedy repair URI. I know you enjoy the power of that bird.

murankar

Staff member
Shoot you should see the parts list so far. Yes it was and thats what happens when you jump the gun on take off during an auto. Lesson learned; don be so quick to get back up.

Smoggie

What a nightmare:frown: It's hard to figure from the video just what went wrong but could the auto landing have damaged the tail blades or belt or the linkage? it did look like the tail dug in a bit.

I hope it's all fixed up and back in the air soon.

murankar

Staff member
I am thinking the torque of the head when I came out of bail out kicked the tail. That ground has a ton of ruts. So it did not land flat. So between the tail kick and the in even ground it spelled disaster. I found one of the grip links, they both popped off saving the servos and arms. I may have to set the soft start restart in the esc. With men learning autos I don't think I need a long auto rotation time. It's going to be a bit pricy but I should be able to get everything sent home for next weekend. This is my last week here so needless to say nothing is flying till I get home. Right now Ivan more concerned about getting the gobby back up. The X3 has issues and needs a new pinion now. That's getting ordered also. Shake it off and do it again.

Tony

Staff member
One big issue I saw in that video is you are doing an auto in the "Danger Zone". Anywhere between 10' and 50', you want to do everything you can to NOT have to do an auto. Your blades can lose way too much speed and you may not have enough to flair when you get close to the ground. The "Baby Auto's" that Bobby Watts shows how to do in the Smack Talk series start at about 5' so you cna get used to what the helicopter is going to do. From there, he went straight to 100' or so and did false autos right to left (of left to right depending on wind). The motor is still under power the whole time.

From there he would raise the throttle hold up enough to give yourself about 10 seconds of hover time and also would help spool it back up if you needed to. But again, this was from over 100' in the air where the blades could keep rotation with slight negative pitch and you had plenty of rpm when you were ready to flair at the end.

Sucks this happened bro, not what I wanted to see on video. But now you have it on video and you can study it and find out what went wrong and never do it again. At least that is what I try to do. Best of luck getting it fixed up and back in the air.

Top Bottom