600 Uri's Big bird build journal

Tony

Staff member
I have quite a few of them from the 3D series. Also the nitro tuning which anyone that needs to learn nitro tuning can't do what Kammerer did in that video lmao. And I have the Autorotation one. Watts did a great job on that video, but he did it with a nitro, electric is a little different in the setup of the ESC which he didn't show, but tried to explain for about 2 seconds.

murankar

Staff member
I would have to either contact them to reopen the video or get it from someone. One thing I do like about the neo and vcontrol is that I can set the Motor Idle position to a set flat throttle curve. What this is supposed to do is reduce the tail kick when coming out of an aborted auto. Now what happened to me was I got flustered at the switches plus I jumoed to early on the take off. Couple that with the rut it was half in and bobs your uncle. Once things went wild i really got flustered and started flipping every switch possible. Once I found Thottle hold/ motor off (vcontrol speak) the voice alerts were still going off for about 30 seconds trying to get caught back up with what was really going on. I cut that part out due to video length at it was.

With this setup I am pushing almost 8 minutes of putzing around like that. So what I will do is plus up my packs by at least 2 more along with at lest 2 more rx packs. I would like to have one rx pack per stick pack. The rx pack wont need charged but once every 4 flights or so. My goal is to make the stick packs permanent as can be. My charging case will hopefully accomidate for the stick packs. That's one reason why its not done and wont be done till I get home.

murankar

Staff member
After about 8 flights on the Goblin 570 all i can say is wow. When I built it I decided on the Castle 6mm bullets. While I liked them at first I think I don't like them. They are big and bulky for very little return in the form of amps. I found a connector that is smaller with the same or more amp handling. I should have them on saturday along with the last bit of wire needed to complete the last stick pack. I should have enough new connectors to make the jumpers needed for the charge case.

My new set up will be a bit more efficient with less connectors and maybe less cable. My goal is to get a setup that will run both 6s and 12s with out ext wires or connectors. My plan is to use the RCPRO PLUS connectors. I also plan on directly connecting the fron and back packs while using the open leads going to the esc. I want to eliminate the parallel connection. I will test to see what my weight savings are. The down side to this is going to be how to setup the battery to battery connection. To figure that out I will build the esc with a standard setup and from there I will plan the rest. I will weigh each pack with the Castle bullets along with the airframe without packs. Then I will weigh the airframe with packs and find the differences.

As for cost? These are $17 for a set of four (4 males and 4 females). EC5s (eflight) are $8 for 1 set of conectors, 1 mail and 1 female. So for the cost they are cheap

Smoggie

Are all the repairs done now Uri?

For battery connectors on my 700 size helis i just use bullets. Bullets are the neatest way to connect 2 x 6S packs in series with the least number of connections. The (big) downside with bullets is it's quite easy to short circuit the battery. If using bullets you do have to be very careful to connect the batteries correctly and make sure that the bullets cant touch each other when handling the battery.

murankar

Staff member
Yes she is back to gather. Just have to re do the setup. Those bullet connectors should be here tomorrow. The kids and I are going camping tonight and maybe tomorrow night. Sunday is fathers day and I should be able to get the connectors swapped out on Sunday. I have no time line right now. Still no job. So that puts a damper on things.

The thing I'll need to worry about is the hooking up part. As for the bullets touch, not concerned with that with the rc pro plus. They have plenty of protection.

Last edited:

Smoggie

The RC Pro Plus are excellent connectors. I'm just using standard bullets but if it wasn't for the thought of having to swap so many connectors on all my batteries, helis and charging leads I'd swap over to RC Pro Plus myself.

murankar

Staff member
Thats what I am facing right now. Having to swapthe 2 stick packs and esc. My third stick pack still needs built so no issues there. Since I have not made my charge leads yet it will be easier. I just hope I got enough.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:damnit: Look at you go URI. Looks like you finally get to have some fun with your big bird. Good job! Thanks for sharing.:wavey:

trainrider06

she looks real good Uri! So I gotta ask.....what did you do? Polish those frames for hours to get em so slick and shiny? Wow that baby is clean! Where was that at where ya flew? Looks like a really nice place!

murankar

Staff member
It was just the angle of the camera. I do have to say though the carbon is smooth. That field is the field my heli club uses. We share it with planners so the take off area is a runway. Last year that field had corn in it and this year it's soy bean. I like flying there a lot. Very secluded back off the road.

trainrider06

Oh sure! I bet you spent hours polishing that thing! :wink:
Yeah I really like the looks of that field, very nice, and does look to be a relaxing environment!

murankar

Staff member
Here is my last flight from Friday the 1st. Not much different than the last flights just more windy. Finding more holes in my control as I progress into side in hovering and my small attempt at backwards flying. You'll see near the middle where I am struggling with moving backwards.

flight 3 2016 07 01 - YouTube

murankar

Staff member
Progress finally. Gaining more confidence as I go out more. MORE stick time please.

Still trying to figure out the camera. It only shoots HD aspect ration if I set my phone to full screen. If I dont go full screen it shoots in SD aspect ratio.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Looks like a very nice and peaceful place to fly URI. Nice job flying that big bird of yours. Good luck on future flights.

murankar

Staff member
Its very quiet there and no distractions. No kids, no parents and no people. Very nice place to fly that's not far from the road. Thank you. Yes this bird flies very smooth and stable. Well the Neo helps but the frame is nicely designed.

Top Bottom