600 Uri's Big bird build journal

murankar

Staff member
Yeah untill later on today I wont be able to post the images to the forum. They are way to big to be uploading onto the rch server. So instead I have created a public google images album. There I can upload all day long and not really worry about space.

Can I add links in my Sig?

Nevr mind. I see Tony has added links so I think I can too. Anyhow I will link in my sig.

murankar

Staff member
Well I did upload more images to my Goblin 570 album on G+. The link is in my sig along with a link to my X3 Album.

murankar

Staff member
Thank you. Well I bit the bullet and got rescue mode. And pro Vbar. Ouch that sucked but now I have a ton of stuff to work with in the radio. So now I need to make level surface for the rescue tune and setup. That is getting made tonight .

murankar

Staff member
SO I just added 2 more pics to the album for the swash level. All I have to say is that if you don't have a way to get the main shaft plum you really need a leveling platform. Why is this important, wel to be honest when you level the swash with a plum main shaft your swash will be 90 degrees to the main shaft. This swash is dead on 0 degrees in all directions. Setting pitch and roll angles was sooooo much easier on this platform. Now to make things even nicer was having the pro add-on for the VBar. I have everything the desktop has now and dont really need it other than to update the gyro. It felt so good not having to pull out the old lappy and plug things in I am also thinking I may need a second RX pack just to have it. I finding I may get about 2 flights per RX pack. while this isnt ideal it does help keep weight now. anyhow moving on. RIght now this Gobby should be ready for flight when those packs get here.

Next stop is to calibrate the rescue mode. This will need a level surface, the other reason for making another leveling table.

Last edited:

Smoggie

FWIW I rarely worry about leveling the heli itself. I just level the swash relative to the main shaft either using a leveler tool that slips over the main shaft or simply a cable-tie zipped around the head. The cable tie 'ghetto' method actually works great, very accurate and is really quick. The heli could be laid on it's side to do it., makes no difference because it's all done relative to the shaft not relative to gravity.

But whatever method works for you is good.

So what size Rx pack are you using?. It must be tiny (or very low C rated) if you can only get two flights. I get 10 flights easy on my Goblin 770 from a cheapo 'zippy' 2s 2200mAh. I avoid the Rx specific packs because some of them have such low output current rating that you get premature voltage sag even under only the load from the servos.

Tony

Staff member
I actually have a video on the zip tie swash leveling. Works great.

And the reason he has to get the main shaft perfectly plum (reason for leveling the helicopter) is because his gyro has recovery. If you set it with any angle on the shaft, it will drift off when you hit the switch.

Smoggie

Funny because the self leveling and rescue on the Spirit doesnt need and special leveling procedure.

Tony

Staff member
I did not know that. I know the Ikon does, but know nothing about any of the gyros you guys are working with lol. Broke and out of hte loop.

murankar

Staff member
All I know so far about the rescue is that it is pre calibrated at the factory and can be re calibrated by the user. For recalibation the instructions say "With the unit on a level surface..." What I dont know is do the mean the helicopter sitting on a level surface or the gyro sitting perfectly level.

I have been setting up my helis like this now for 2 years. plum the main shaft, set swash level (90 degrees to main shaft), level follower arms, then nail ) 0 degrees at mid stick.

With the Vbar I have one advantage on the setup, I have a trim flight that I can do that will get any left over slop dialed out on the trims. Now to just figure out the rescue mode.

murankar

Staff member
I need it with the Neo. I have yet to dig into it further. All I know is that I have for 6s packs showing up tomorrow with the rest of the connectors and a Mikado UI sensor. Oh yes guys live telemetry of the flight pack voltages and amp draws. For me that will be trivial in nature since my real good flying consists of hovering and maybe some figure eights. I would like to learn stall turns thins year.

Tony

Staff member
You will have no issue with learning stall turns and even flips and rolls. They are very simple to do. Let me know when you are ready and if you have any questions and we will get you into and through it.

trainrider06

Is that where ya pull back on the stick heading forward get the heli nose to the sky and flip tail around and give her full pos collective? If so that's one of my fav turns!

Tony

Staff member
In forward, or fast forward flight, give positive collective and pull back on the elevator to go nose straight up. Collective and elevator will get you going upward. When you are almost stopped going up, hit the rudder, either direction, and spin the tail around so you are nose down. As you are coming down, pull back on the elevator and enter level flight. Simple as that.

trainrider06

Yeah, that's it, only I like to take the nose from 6 to about 8 o'clock and give her full throttle or full positive collective and watch it speed past....there is that couple of seconds there that is cool where the heli kinda just floats up there in the air as you swing the nose from sky to ground.

Top Bottom