600 Uri's Big bird build journal

murankar

Staff member
Given the section I have placed this you know this is going to be a big bird. While it is not a 700 class its going to be close. Its closer to a 550 class than a 600 but can be stretched to a 600 class. So I want something bigger than a 360/380 (which the Gaui X3 can be both). This kit needs to be able to grow with me and be able to support that fact. My main goal is to get into at least a 550 class because of the flight envelope of that air frame size. It needs to be supported by most hobby shops and parts have to be available. The smaller frame needs to handle 12S native prior to stretching. This kit needs to have presence and power while in the air. If I have to sell it needs to be sellable.

My coices are as follows:
Synergy E5
Thunder Tiger Raptor E550
Goblin 570
Mikado 550SX

I have narrowed down to Synergy or Goblin 570. Both airframes can stretch, both can handle 12S native, both havee moderate support and both can be resold if needed. Oh and they both have the power.

Today is the day for all great things to happen. I just ordered the motor and esc for the new big bird which is still kinda TBD. I am about 90% certain as to what kit but I really want to ensure it is the right kit. Once I receive the kit I will inform the forum as to my choice and why. My Goal is to order all the parts so I can build up my VIP points then turn around and use those points for the Airframe. Even though I am at training I still have my bills to pay so that will dictate my purchase schedule and since I am not sure how much I will be getting I am playing by ear.

My schedule of purchases (subject to change):
Today: Motor and ESC;

Date TBD (maybe next friday): Servos and FBL and maybe one set of packs for the 12S system.

DATE TBD: 2 sets of flight packs for 12S setup and ESC Program Box (Currently out of stock)

Lastly: Airframe

Smoggie

Looking forward to seeing what choices you make and the build come together. personally i'd go for the Goblin but the Synergy is a fine heli too.

For ESC I'd put a word in for the Hobbywing range. You will get a 20% discount from hobbywingdirect.com with the code 'rchelination'. The 100A HV would do the job very nicely and easily cope with a 600 stretch.

murankar

Staff member
I got the Hobbywing Platinum V3 100 amp. What I will need is the multi function programmer. My vendor is out and they are not scheduled for restock till near the 15th. If I mention the vendor then Ill give up what I decided.

My compnents for the build:
Hobbywing ESC (ORDERED)
Scorpion HKIII 4025-550KV 12S motor (ORDERED)
BK Servos 7001 X3/ 7006 Both HV
FBL Neo (of course)
Packs Pulse Ultra 12S 35C 3300.
Blades more than likely what ever I can find that arfe not to over priced. Zeals I think.

murankar

Staff member
Ill take a look and see if they are available.

Its available, once I get out of class and back to my room Ill see about ordering it. I would love to add those dollars to heli direct for VIP points but its not that big a deal.

Last edited:

Smoggie

The 'rchelination' 20% discount code should work on the program box too, which should be worth more than the VIP points.

murankar

Staff member
The VIP points i am using is to reduce the price of the air frame. 27 points is not going to make that big a deal in the end. I believe its $1 off for every 100 points. If I am lucky I can get about $15-$20 off the price.

Smoggie

So how are you going to power the FBL and servos? A 550 is a size where there is a choice to make between a BEC and a stand alone 2s battery feeding your HV servos unregulated. I've got both options on my helis, there are pros and cons either way. The battery wins on simplicity and price but you have the additional battery to maintain.

Smoggie

Usually the backup guard would be used to protect from BEC failure. An unregulated Rx pack is so simple and reliable that personally I dont worry about a backup, there are plenty of other more likely sources of failure on a heli, not least me.

To be honest I dont use a backup with a BEC either, maybe i should.

Last edited:

holtneil

Hi guys as Steve knows I have the optipower back up on my Goblin 630 comp ,I run a receiver pack ,the other day I charged the batteries Inc receiver pack , got the goblin up for a few mins and the optipower back up kicked in so I landed when I checked the receiver pack one cell was low ,so glad the back up worked ok for £40 it's so worth every penny

trainrider06

That seems to be the best insurance with ones "special birds" and only makes good insurance, because we all know the money that gets dumped into these heli's sometimes is a good bit!

murankar

Staff member
Then both is the best option? Yeah I don't want to put it in if it can be avoided.

For this build I went and got a few things. Stuff for making custom servo leads, helping hands and more thread lock. As for the wire, well I had to get pee made. Good thing is that all I have to do is cut it and make one end. One thing I could not find locally are the crimp tools. Basically I'll use needle nose and solder. Plus I have some full sized dikes that might work. That's the update. Oh and I have solidified the air frame.

The WINNER IS: 742... Lol.

For real I can't keep this secret, Goblin 570. Yes folks a 570 for my non flying a.. who knows I might actually learn something now.

Last edited:

Smoggie

I'd have gone for the 570 too, they look real nice.

As for the battery. I'm not a Vcontrol user but i know that the Vcontrol does telemetry, so i'd guess that you can very easily set an alarm to warn you if the Rx battery pack voltage is low? This is what i do with my helis, I've yet to need it but I get a warning at 7.4V to tell me the battery was getting low, which leaves tons in reserve for a safe landing.

I get at least ten flights out of a 2s 2200mAh pack on a 700 size heli so I'd have to be very absent minded to run into any issues.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
My goal first and foremost is to keep it as light as possible. Yes Vcontrol has telemetry, but he cable costs as with everything else on Vcontrol. I don't have an issue with it just need to free up some funds to do so. As for the ampunt of flights I get from a pack is not important for me. I will have at least two or three flight packs ready to go just in case. With the opti-guard, its only pourpose being there is for the safety net just in case I do blow a cell. I can never be to safe. I am in a state of euphoria knowing that I am going to buying this kit real soon. Getting the parts cant happen fast enough.

Smoggie

To measure Rx pack voltage you shouldn't need any cables. The voltage is measured direct from the FBL unit itself because the pack plugs directly into it.

If you plan on changing the Rx pack every few flights you could easily get away with a smaller pack (say 1200-1300mAh) . If you have a close focus on weight that would save you a few grams.

trainrider06

Congratulations on the airframe pick! From what I hear it's one of the best!
As for servo leads, you might want to check on these...
I have used these multiple times, and this place carries the connectors wires the whole shebang!
https://www.servocity.com/html/pin_crimpers.html#.VwldgfCDnCQ
Don't get lost on that site though! Lol I do everytime I go there!
And for all your sleeving needs...
Non-Fray Expandable Braided Sleeving – Just Cut With Scissors
The non fray sleeving is the best to use, they also have multiple colors!
Here is another site too...
Braided Sleeving

murankar

Staff member
For now that stuff is just bling. I have to lines that need extended, esc and rx pack. After that it's shortening the servo leads, which will be an after built project.

Top Bottom