General Setting Pitch On Flybarless

murankar

Staff member
swash tools have to be made for your kit. But they were fairly easy for me to learn. Basically every ball link had to touch the finger on the tool. Once all the links touch your done. Biggest issue is that you have to have one for each kit you own. Thats where the zip tie method came from. Its a great one size fits all and anyone can do it right off the rip.

bigone5500

It'd be nice to own a few decent setup tools but for someone like me that owns only one heli that needs any setup tools as such, those items are a waste of money for me. Right now I have to be cheap anyway.

Tony

Staff member
There is something better than a PDF, I have a video on the subject. But I can create a PDF if you need it.

murankar

Staff member
Trust me I know exactly where you are. I am refining my hobby for that very reason. Money, need to trim down so I can afford to fly if i crash.

My issue with a swash leveler is that you had to take the head off to do it. Later on someone made a tool that would slip on the shaft, I think goblin made it. Long story short I want to use what I have to achieve the same result. I have the RC Logger 2 so I adopted the soko method with my pitch gauge. I didnt want to buy another when I had just paid the same price for my Logger 2.

If you want to get really cheap you can set zero pitch by dropping a long narrow screw drive though the bolt hole in the blade grip. When its parallel to the main shaft your at zero pitch.

bigone5500

It has surely veered off topic.

Back on topic, I think I will start over with setup so as to try and streamline things. I guess what I mean is I don't want to start setup, get half way through, then do something that is unneeded like build fixtures for a heli. Many methods, one easy way. I have a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be. Possibly due to not fully understanding a subject. If I keep at it though it will click and things will then become easy to do.

Thanks for the help.

bigone5500

So here is what I have been trying. After powering on the Tx and Rx, I go into menu G and the servos are supposed to be at the center according to the pulse sent to them. I zero my gauge to the frame of the heli then attach it to the blade as close to the head as possible. Then I turn the rotor to match the link of the blade to the servo I am about to adjust. Noting the reading on the gauge, I adjust the servo arm and linkage to obtain as close to zero as I can. I was able to do one servo last night and get it to zero. However, when I turn the head to the next servo, usually the servos start going crazy with super chattering. I have to unplug the battery and start over.

Aside from that issue, this seems to be working out for me. But something tells me I'm skipping a step. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Should I be using the zip tie method to level the swash before I do the above steps or is that after I get the pitch to zero?

bigone5500

Can someone explain this so I understand it better? I think what it means is when I go into menu G, with status light off, the servos should be centered and the arms installed at 90 degrees from there. However, I may be misunderstanding things when it says it will neither affect the servo trimming nor will these positions be used later. So after installing the arms with status light off, can I use the rudder stick and select a servo to adjust to zero pitch and be good? What is the true function of selecting a servo in this menu?

20181208_090555.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Using a digital pitch gauge for swash leveling is not a good idea. When you calibrate that gauge to the frame, it is ONLY calibrated in that particular orientation. The helicopter is going to be sitting differently on the roll axis than it is on the pitch axis. So the readings are not going to be correct.

Menu G, start out by getting all servo arms to 90º to the linkage rods. This is the most important step. Then level the swash, use the zip tie method, cheap and highly accurate and fast to complete. Level out the swash (don't move the servo arms). Once the swash is level, check your pitch in J (I think) and adjust to 0 at mid and equal pitch positive and negative.

Tony

Staff member
It's not for 0 pitch, that is only to get your servo arms to 90º to the linkage rods. You will not use this menu to adjust anything other than setting the servo arms to 90º to the linkage rods.

bigone5500

Ok. So I have really misunderstood the purpose of menu G.

Now I need to get all arms/linkages to 90 degrees and then use the zip tie to level the swash. Do I need to be in menu G for the zip tie or do I need to simply set all arms/rods to 90 then exit the menu to save?

Tony

Staff member
You will stay in G all the way through setting 0º pitch at mid stick (which is where G puts the servos. The best way to do this is to completely remove the head and swash from the main shaft (leave the shaft in the helicopter). Now, set your servo arms to 90º to the linkage that is going to run up to the swash. Once you have them perfectly horizontal (the servo arms that is), put the swash on and connect it to the servo arms. Still in menu G, put the zip tie on the main shaft and glue the tip so it is right above the swash arms, not the plastic ends. The plastic can have different heights, best to point directly at the swash where the balls screw in. Do not use the Tx sticks to adjust the swash, only use the linkages. Your servos are set and you should not adjust them again. Once the swash is completely level, put the head on and adjust the blades to 0º pitch. From there, you will go to J and set your full positive and negative pitch.

bigone5500

Once the servo arms have been centered in menu G, is it safe to assume I can install the screws permanently with loctite as they will not be removed anymore in this process?

bigone5500

So it is possible that when I center the arms with status light off, I may need to move the arms again?

My brain is frying...like eggs cooked over hard.

Tony

Staff member
To center the arms on the servo (set them to 90º to the links) you will use the rudder stick to pick a servo and move it until it is completely 90º to the link. Once that is done, you will not touch that servo to 'center' it again.

bigone5500

Ok. So what I have just done is removed the head and swash completely. I entered menu G and installed the arms as close as humanly possible to 90. I have installed the swash and the arms/links look to be pretty close to 90. At this point, I should install the zip tie and start leveling the swash, correct???

Tony

Staff member
Did you completely 90º the servo arms to the linkages by using the rudder stick in menu G and then using the elevator to adjust the servo arms?

Top Bottom