General Setting Pitch On Flybarless

bigone5500

I need an easy to understand explanation on how to set the pitch. This is on the blade 270 cfx. I don't have a swash leveler but will use the wire tie trick to see what my swash looks like at the moment. It will probably have to be adjusted a little but I want to know more how to set the main blades once the swash is level. I have a digital gauge and all I know how to do is put it on the blade...LOL!

Tony

Staff member
Those helicopters are pretty small so you could actually use my Align 150x setup video to do the pitch setup. basically you just fold both blades in the same direction and set 0 pitch or align the blades perfectly. Once that is done, go full positive and measure the gap. I would start with a few inches to start. Then match that setting for the negative. From there, just test fly it. If it is not enough pitch, add more.

If you can put on a pitch gauge, you can do it as I show in multiple vidoes. have the nose facing you with the blades parallel to the tail boom. Calibrate the pitch gauge on the motor or top of the frame to 0 then put it on the blade facing you. Set 0 pitch then go to positive and shoot for about 12º. Same for negative.

Tony

Staff member
Did it help or do I need to explain a little more? I have been known to skip over things once in a while lol.

bigone5500

Didn't see this post till this morning. But I will have to get back home from work and see if I can get it set up. I don't have skids but that shouldn't keep me from working on that part of it. The frame is flat and will sit nicely on my desk.

Tony

Staff member
Which one do you want? I have anything from the 150x to the 600 Nitro including the Align 450 Pro V2, a couple clones, some with Ikon, some with the BX and some with the 3GX.

bigone5500

I am trying to follow the instructions you gave initially. I guess I just don't understand things well when it comes to this. I have the blades pointing backwards and when the heli initializes they are just about even. This is with the stick all the way down. If I understand correctly, they should be that way at half throttle, right?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, mid stick they should be exactly parallel to each other. And for a helicopter that size, that may be a good pitch to start with. Might just check it with the pitch gauge just to see where it is. If you can't get it going, we can always get on hangouts or something and I can try to walk you through it.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I'm about to head to bed and I have to replace my router again (working off of cellular network right now) so it will be tomorrow before we can get on.

bigone5500

Sounds good Tony. I'll hit you up here on the forum when I get home and wind down. Probably around 5ish. Thanks again.

murankar

Staff member
I am not even sure on where to start with this little guy. I have not had my 180CFX out in over 2 years. What I can tell you is start at 10 degrees and see if it is responsive enough for you at a given head speed (Higher end of headspeed lower pitch; lower end of head speed higher pitch) . Just keep adding a degree or so until you reach the desired response that you are comfortable with. if your still in doubt just to to 22 degrees and beat the sticks, lol.

Good luck and have fun

bigone5500

I had to work over a little today and am home and if you're up for it we can get together on hangouts to show this heli who's boss!

bigone5500

Tony I just want to make sure that the align 450 swash leveler will work on my 270. You sure it will work? I'm just going to buy one. I don't have time to make one.

Tony

Staff member
I can't be sure that is will work. From what we talked about, both helicopters use a 5mm main shaft so it will have a snug fit on the shaft, it's the diameter of the 3 linkage rods on the outside of the swash that can be the issue. IMO, I would just do the zip tie method. It's free(ish) and IMO more accurate.

Top Bottom