Projects RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jared, here is an image of the entire layout in adobe illustrator. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of how those pieces go together. The red lines on the edges of the pages are the cut lines, but also where you tape the plans together. In the photo below you can see there is only one red line between the sheets, but when the file is created, it will put a red line on each page showing where to cut the excess off. Then, you tape everything together to look just like the picture below and cut out the pieces.

As you can see, the fuse is a pretty large piece with all 4 sides connected together so they can be folded up. Hopefully this makes a little more sense.

rchtrainerallsheets.png

Tony

Staff member
And that piece that you folded, I had it wrong. That is the battery tray, not the top fo the plane. Tells you how long it has been since I looked at these plans lol.

Tony

Staff member
The black lines on either side of the red lines is just where the pages overlap in the program. Pay absolutely no attention to those black lines that follow the solid red lines.

bigone5500

I may be able to get the plane done today! I need to get a new glue gun though.

I got hunny dooz that seem to be more important ... ???

Tony

Staff member
I just noticed something. If you are printing from the web pdf plan, you have to uncheck the Fit To Page button for it to print correctly. If you don't, it is about 1/8" smaller than normal.

Tony

Staff member
I have updated the plans. Nothing that requires you to reprint everything, I just added some color coding to the fuse text, moved the control surface text to the second page and added the "uncheck Fit To Page" on the first page. We are now up to V3.2. I told you I would find something to update lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Those work good. Another thing is old antenna tubes from FM and AM tx's. But I usually just run them through the foamboard. If they are flexing somewhere, I will just brace up where they are flexing. Mainly because I can't remember where I put my old control rod tubing lmao.

bigone5500

Ok. Got a few pieces cut out. I used a glue stick to adhere the pieces to the foam board and just cut around them. I wish dollar tree would have had white instead of this black. I can't see pencil marks on it very well. Wal-Mart wants $1.77 for a sheet of white. I think it's cause it has Elmer's written on it. I'm gonna call it a night.

15055253993371420439296.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That looks fantastic. And the circles are for the dowel rods if you are going to hold the wing on with rubber bands. If you are going to bolt it on, then you will not use those holes.

Tony

Staff member
Not a mistake, just cut two of the servo mount pieces (look like an H on the plans) but don't make one shorter. Make them both the same length. Then, just fit them in before folding up the fuse.

bigone5500

I was thinking that. I will have to use some packing tape on the seams of the fuselage cause I suck with xacto. The fuse is coming along nicely though. I will have it done tomorrow and will start the wings Sunday, maybe tomorrow night. My motor and esc will be here tomorrow and I'll want to get the connectors soldered on. I plan on going to hobby town also and will pick up a battery end for the esc and a couple props. As far as the landing gear goes what do you suggest?

bigone5500

One other thing, a tip I have for the 45 deg angle cuts is if they don't come out right the first time you can use a block of wood with some sand paper wrapped around to 'file it true.

Tony

Staff member
I have never used landing gear on this plane. I just hand launch it and belly land it on the grass. If you are going to fly early morning, put packing tape on the fuse and wings to help keep the water off the paper. If you want to use landing gear, get some 1/8th inch piano wire or the like (stronger than a hanger) and just fold it and get wheels. But I suggest just belly landing it.

And yes, you can always use a sanding block to help "true up" the angles. I was not good at the angles as well, but over the years, I have gotten a little better. If you watched that first video in teh playlist, you saw that I cheat every now and then and use a tool specifically made to cut foamboard, which has a 45º angle cutting block on teh side. But when I do the videos, I will only use an exacto. New blade of course rather than the chowdered blade I usually use lmao.

Top Bottom