Projects RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log

bigone5500

I decided to try to build the RC-Help trainer v3. Today I printed the plans and got 4 sheets of foam board. I'll be posting my progress and any questions I have for this plane.

First question is do I cut inside or outside the black lines for the parts? I printed the first sheet and measured it. The 5" measurement was on the inside of the angle. I assume this is the correct place to measure.

*edit* Changed the title to v.3.1 to reflect the correct version of the plans.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Don't over think it. Measuring inside or outside, you are talking 1/16th of an inch if that. This is foamboard and trust me, it doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect.

As for servos, again, don't over think it or try to over build it. You are going ot crash, and why take out a $10 servo. Just get these. 10X SG90 9G Micro Servo Motor RC Robot Arm Helicopter Airplane Remote Control XP | eBay

Or, get some cheap servos from amazon, just now looked at that link. You want to build this thing cheap because again, you are going to crash it, you are going to have to put a new nose on it, you are going to have to glue the wing back together, that is the fun of foamboard.

bigone5500

I have an AR610 Rx but I really want to try one of those Lemon or Orange Rx. Which one would best suit me? I'd hate to crash and ruin my Spektrum Rx.

Tony

Staff member
The second motor will work, But it is a little light. But should work. If you can find one in the 60g range on weight and 300+ watts then it will work. The first one, your first crash and you will bend that M4 motor shaft. ask me how I know lol.

Tony

Staff member
Any DSM2 or DSMX Rx will work. You are only going ot need 4 channels anyway, but always get a 6ch Rx. And if you put the Rx inside the fuse, you should never damage it, I never have. And I have crashed the crap out of these things.

bigone5500

Any DSM2 or DSMX Rx will work. You are only going ot need 4 channels anyway, but always get a 6ch Rx. And if you put the Rx inside the fuse, you should never damage it, I never have. And I have crashed the crap out of these things.
Gotcha... Have you had any dealings with either the Lemon or Orange Rx? The Orange one looks to be better built.

Tony

Staff member
I have had OrangeRx. Never had an issue other than slightly reduced range. Steve runs the Lemon's, I never have though.

Tony

Staff member
You can make them out of Popsicle sticks. Below is a video that should start where I make the control horns. If not, go to 9:54 in the video.

bigone5500

I just got done watching a video on control horns. I have some 1/16" basswood. That should do the trick right?

Top Bottom