Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Derek

The only thing that we can do, Matthias, is do the best we can. Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesn't!

I appreciate you keeping track of the progress of this plane. It's gonna be a sight to see....one way or another.

murankar

Staff member
If it flies it will be epic, if it crashes it will be epic. Either way it will be epic, I cant wait to see it in the air.

Derek

Lol, that's for certain!!! I just wanna see it completed and get off the groung at least once. After that.....well....I dunno lol.

Lee

I'm drooling with anticipation Derek. :) You've put so much effort into this, i hope it flys. If it doesn't fly, I hope it crashes in a spectacular way LOL
Good luck mate

Derek

I'm drooling with anticipation Derek. :) You've put so much effort into this, i hope it flys. If it doesn't fly, I hope it crashes in a spectacular way LOL
Good luck mate

I couldn't have said it any better, Lee! I surely hope it flies, too! ...and if not....as long as the motor and esc don't get damaged, I have a new "smaller" plane in mind that I'd like to build.

Derek

Here is some more of my inexperience talking...I'd like to take you back to the "beast" of a motor that I'll be using for my Albatross.

The Tacon Bigfoot 160 245kv
Tacon Big Foot 160 Brushless Out Runner Motor for Airplane (245KV)

I just had a guy on Youtube message me and directly inform me that this particular motor is really only good for up to 10S with the 20x10 prop that I have. If you look at the specs, it clearly states "up to 14S". Tony has helped me along the way with this venture that I've chosen (Thank you, Tony!) and it was actually Tony that suggested the Tacon motors. We had planned on a "6S setup" with two lipos in parallel, for a longer duration of "hopeful" flight, lol...emphasis on hopeful.

After the slightly disappointing motor tests, I'm contemplating a 12S setup with the 20x10 prop or the 18x8 prop. I won't be able to do any bench testing with a 12S setup until I get a new HV ESC.

Anyway...what are your thoughts here?

Derek

Looking good Derek... And man that thing is long... Lol

It's 9 feet 5 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of the elevator. Yep...it's pretty long, lol. I think it's still "tail heavy" as it sits. I may decide to add another 30" section of fuselage tube to the front to help balance the CG.

murankar

Staff member
Count down is started, still here following and watching. lets get the wings on and atart flying this big bad boy. Would it held to slide the whole wing assembly forward to offset the cog. it looks like the motor is aft of cog and that could be causing your tail heaviness.

Derek

Hey guys! I had a guy, on Youtube, comment on my motor testing video...again. He is telling me that I should be running this Tacon 160 245kv motor and 20" prop on a 10S setup, minimum. He gave no reasoning and hasn't responded to my inquiry about his comment.

What do you guys think?

The plan is a 6S setup with two 3000mAh in parallel.

The weight of this plane has come out a bit heavier than I had originally anticipated. I was expecting 18-20lbs, with batteries. Right now, it's looking like this plane will weigh in pretty close to 25lbs, with batteries.

I guess a deciding factor would be the taxi testing that I plan on doing when I get back from IRCHA. Might just have to power it up on the 6S setup, run it around a bit, and possibly just run it down the runway and ease on the elevator to see if she will lift off.

I dunno. That guys comment is just one of the 10 billion things that are running through my head right now, lol. well...maybe 9 billion. It's hard to say.

Derek

It starts one week from today and goes through Sunday. My wife and I are heading down to Muncie next Friday morning and we'll be back on Monday. I think she might even be more excited about going than me....and she's not even going to do any flying. She is just as amazed with the 3D heli's as I am. You should come down, Kyle. Maybe a 2-2.5 hour drive for ya....not sure.

wolfman76

Doesn't look like i am going to be able to barely ferrying any hours at work right... I am going to try and have the p-51 done by Sunday for Chicago model masters big bird fly in already got night nav lights in it. Now that your camcorder working again we want IRCHAA video footage!!!

Tony

Staff member
If the motor will handle it, just run it on a 12s setup since you have the batteries. It will give you more power, more rpm and thus, more thrust. You just have to make sure everything will handle it.

Derek

...according to the specs for the Tacon motor, it can handle up to 14S. If i'm gonna run it on a 12S setup, I'll need an HV ESC...ugh.

Derek

My plane is alive! My plane is alive!!!

Here is a video, about 10 minutes long, of me showing some recent developments and progress that I've done as well as adding throttle to the motor while the motor is mounted on the plane. It really sounds great!!! Just an awesome sound!!!

FB Albatross is ALIVE - YouTube

Top Bottom