Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Tony

Staff member
Like I stated on skype, the plane is there, it's ready to go, and in most cases, if something goes wrong, you may lose a prop or a servo, but not much more than that. It's at least worth a try. People here on teh forum want to see this completed plane, with the wing on it, at least trying to get into the air. You and I have been round and round on supporting the wing and what will and will not work, and I just want to see what works and what doesn't.

Derek

Yeah...I am glad that I mentioned the issue to you on Skype because you were able to talk me out of stripping the electronics and scrapping the plane. That was on my "to-do" list for today. I'll just be patient for some "decent" weather and we'll go out and try it. Will it work? I dunno! Will it fail? I dunno. But I did have a great time building it and I learned quite a bit along the way.

wolfman76

Derek just let more know i have a huge very thick sheet out aluminum here that i can work measurements cut out a piece and ship to you for a decent landing strut. . Just let me know. .. i will snap a photo and post it with measurements ago you will know if it will work or not. ..

pvolcko

Are you trying to take out of hay lots? :) Might be worth seeing if a local club with a half decent field has a free flight day coming up.

Derek

I have a place that I can fly (or at least attempt to fly) this plane with no worries. That's never been an issue. I surely wouldn't have started this monstrosity if I didn't have a place to try it out.

Well, I have a place, here in town, that I have planned on taking this plane to see if it will lift off the ground under it's own power. If it does come off the ground under it's own power, I have another place that is a bit out of town that I can attempt to run a full battery through it.

Lee

We are drooling to see this thing take off Derek. even if its a disaster, we need at least an attempted take off :D

treff

Hi Derek. Great project. I do not know anything about the electric part of your plane. Your biggest problem is going to be one of strength and at that wingspan there you have the eternal problem between strength and weight.
First off I would make the outer sections smaller therefor lighter but then you run into tip stalling problems. If you have the cash I would run carbon fibre tube or square section through the wing sections. Doubled up at the centre
and single tube outboard. For cheapness but with added weight you could use wood on the inboard sections. I would build it as a glider first to test strength of design then add motors at a later stage when airframe has been tested.
Which ever way you go have fun. I am just coming to the end of a very large scale glider ASK18 that's been driving me nuts LOL Cheers

Derek

We are drooling to see this thing take off Derek. even if its a disaster, we need at least an attempted take off :D

No worries, Lee! I will give it a fair shot, once the weather gets a bit better. Everything is awfully frozen here right now, lol.

Hi Derek. Great project. I do not know anything about the electric part of your plane. Your biggest problem is going to be one of strength and at that wingspan there you have the eternal problem between strength and weight.
First off I would make the outer sections smaller therefor lighter but then you run into tip stalling problems. If you have the cash I would run carbon fibre tube or square section through the wing sections. Doubled up at the centre
and single tube outboard. For cheapness but with added weight you could use wood on the inboard sections. I would build it as a glider first to test strength of design then add motors at a later stage when airframe has been tested.
Which ever way you go have fun. I am just coming to the end of a very large scale glider ASK18 that's been driving me nuts LOL Cheers

Thanks for the comments and suggests, treff, but unfortunately the project is completed and I'm not in a position to make changes at this point. If you were to go back, in this thread, and see a couple of the videos that I shared while building the wing, you'll see that the wing is actually quite strong and quite light. I have two sets of spars that run the full length of the wing and there will be tether lines that attach to the top and bottom of the plane. it's a bit difficult to explain, in text. Once the weather thaws out a bit, I'll take the plane into my backyard and I'll go through the assembly process, one step at a time, to show how it all goes together.

Dirk

Yikes! That plane is HUGE!! Any follow-up on the progress Derek!

I see your last post on this monstrosity was 02-03-2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes! That plane is HUGE!! Any follow-up on the progress Derek!

I see your last post on this monstrosity was 02-03-2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, that was not me double posting!!:nono:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, that was not me double posting!!:nono:

Derek

Thanks for checking out my large plane. Tony has been very instrumental in picking the electronics.

Progress is this...the plane is probably 98% completed. I need to go get a couple of small lock nuts and then I'd like to take the whole thing out in my yard and actually assemble it completely. I've been watching the weather forecast for this coming weekend (my weekend off). So far, the weather for Saturday is looking pretty good. That being said...if the weather cooperates this wekeend, maiden flight attempt this weekend and video will follow.

Derek

I can't hardly believe it!!! The day has finally come!!! The FB Albatross is completed and ready to fly. Not only that but tomorrows weather forecast is calling for a super beautiful day. Now, some of you are asking "Why is this such a big deal?" Quite frankly, it's because it is just that...BIG!!! My FB Albatross is a scratch built plane made from Dollar Tree foam board. The fuselage measures in at 6 inches wide by 3 inches tall by 9.5 feet long. The elevator is 3.5 feet long and 5 inches wide. The rudder is 20 inches tall and 5 inches wide. The main wing....are you ready for this....the main wing has a 13 1/4 inch wing chord and measures in at 20 feet and 5/8 inches long. Yes...it's that long!!

I started this project in September of 2012. Tony helped me pick the motor, esc, and servos. Thank you, Tony, for all your help and support with this plane. There are many other RCH members that have been instrumental in the build of this plane, and I thank you all.

I have to be honest, if I knew "then" what I know "now"...I would not have started this project. Seriously!!! But...it's done and completed and ready to fly (hopefully).

For those of you that are newer to the forum and haven't seen my Albatross, I do have several build videos and pictures early on in this thread. However, to help you save some time, here is a video that I shared from late last year. I was testing the newly upgraded landing gear and custom made steerable tail wheel.

Albatross Taxi Test2 - YouTube

I haven't done any other testing on this plane since then, so tomorrow's outting is going to be kind of an "all or nothing" ordeal. I'm pretty confident that the plane will get off the ground..after that, I will just try to do my best.

I really want tomorrows outing to be a successful flight but whatever happens is whatever happens. After tomorrows outing, this plane will be torn down because I have plans for a new, smaller (but still rather large) plane.

Thanks again for everyones continued support! I am sure that I would have given up a long time ago without the help of RCH.

It's currently 13 minutes before 1am (my time). That means I have a bit more than 13 hours until the scheduled flight attempt. I'm anxious and excited, for sure!!!

I will have some pictures, a semi detailed plane assembly video, and full flight video....or crash video, lol.

murankar

Staff member
Good luck with the maiden. Hope in lands when scheduled to and in one piece. ill still be in bed more than likely still recovering. Excited!!!!!!

I was still in Korea when you started planning this project.

Derek

I remember you being in Korea. You take care and get well, Matthias!!! Hopefully, I'll have some exciting video to share...there will be video, either way.

murankar

Staff member
That was an okay time. You would nit have had the space to fly that plane there. I hope you have a great experience today. How much time till maiden?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

Well, I have some bad news...sort of...The maiden flight of my Albatross will have to wait, two weeks, for my next weekend off. I was making calls to a bunch of people, that I knew were going to be there, just to make sure that they knew the time and place. All was going well. Then I called my Dad. My Dad is an essential part of my pit crew. Unfortunately, he's been busy doing chores around his house and he said that he was unable to come. That being the case, the maiden flight will just have to wait. I'm not going to go flying, especially this plane, without my Dad.

Sorry guys! I have to drag out the suspense just a bit longer. I'm sure you all understand.

Derek

Well, I'm just hoping that "all good things come to those who wait." I know that my Dad wants to be there to help with the setup and all. it's important.

wolfman76

Hey derek said you ever change out the front wheels or you still have the caster ones? If so might I strongly suggest switching them out for Some bigger balloon tires like maybe 5 or 6" will make it roll far easier on takeoff and landings I a worried it will definitely indo on landing especially with those casters it has or had...

Derek

Actually, I did replace the front wheels. the wheels that are on the landing gear now are actually old wheels from a childs stroller. I think they are about 7-8" wheels instead of the original 5" wheels that i had before. I really think that these wheels will be much better.

Unfortunately, the maiden flight didn't take place this weekend. I refused to do it because my Dad was unavailable. We'll just have to hope that the weather is "flyable" on my next weekend off.

Top Bottom