Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Tony

Staff member
The 22ga wire is used on teh high amp draw servos. 26 is what is used on lower draw servos. If smaller than 26ga is in your wings, I would probably swap it out with true 22ga servo wire. But you can just keep an eye on the temp of the wire when you are doing the load tests on it with the meter. If the wires heat up, then change them.

Westy

LEGEND
nice vid. are those 2 massive holes in the front going to be open? I would have thought that would cause a huge amount of drag and try to pull the nose down?

Derek

Yes, those upper holes will be open. Only the battery tray will be closed.

it's not going to be a beauty in the air. I just want to get it into the air and hopefully back to the ground without damage.

Derek

I did some prop testing with my Tacon 160 today. It was a bit nerve-wracking at first because these two props are the biggest that I've ever worked with.

Here is the setup that I used:

Tacon Bigfoot160 245kv motor testing - YouTube

I'm disappointed with the results. Maybe I did something wrong. I'll try again later today.

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
So what were your test numbers after the test? Yeah and how bout that video, if the wind noise is an issue just lightly secure a cotton ball over the mic.

Derek

The test numbers were listed in the description of the video, but I'll copy and paste them here:

with the 18x8 propeller, I got 7lbs 7oz of pull/thrust at 533 watts, 22.6 amps, and 24.83 volts.

with the 20x10 propeller, I got 11lbs 5 oz of pull/thrust at 778 watts, 35 amps and unfortunately, I couldn't read the voltage during this test.

I'm a bit puzzled right now, so I will be re-doing the testing again later today. I'll try to have video of some of the motor testing.

It looks as if I may need 'MORE POWER' lol. I'm using my 6s 3000mAh lipos. If I got a 3s 3000mAh lipo, could I run this in series for a 9S setup? Yes, I'll have to buy a new ESC, but I've come too far to just stop now just because there isn't enough power.

Tony

Staff member
Wow, that was lower than I thought it would be. I would have figured that you would be pulling 75a easy with that setup. This is what sucks about prop testing. And with props this big, it gets expensive fast. I guess a bigger pitch is in order here. 20x12, 20x14 or something like that.

Derek

Here is the motor and prop test run up video that I took today. It sure does sound good!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

hmmmm! So..I was trying to hunt down the CG point on this beast of a plane, the other day and I was quick to realize that the fuselage tube was bending where the tube sections join together. I'm beginning to think that the 6x3 fuselage tubes aren't going to work. Maybe I need to redo the fuselage tubes as 4x4. I'm also starting to realize that the tail section that I have is just too big. Gonna have to trim some fat off that....I guess I don't need a 5 foot wide horizontal stabilizer, lol.

murankar

Staff member
Ok that was a great noise i heard. So when will I see a great sight? Man that sounds like it has tons of power. Did you take it full throttle?

Derek

Thanks for checking back on my thread, Matthias! Yes...it's an awesome sound!!! The 18x8 prop was cool, but that 20x10 just about pulled my picnic table over. It scared me pretty bad so I ended up putting two 30lb bags of mulch on the legs of the table to hold it down, lol. Great great power!!!

As far as the maiden goes....ugh!!! My work schedule has gotten very dramatic lately and hasn't left me with much "home-time". However, it seems to be getting a bit lesser so I am back working on the monster plane, once again. I was trying to locate the CG last week and noticed that the fuselage of the plane (6inx3in) wanted to bend....ALOT...and the plane is just massively tail heavy. I came to the sudden conclusion that the tail section is just way too big. The vertical stabilizer measures out at 22inx22in and the horizontal stabilizer measures out at 60inx22in. That being the case, I'm going to trim the tail section down in order to make it less tail heavy. I have also decided that I'm going to buy some more foam board and completely redo the fuselage tube and try to make it more rigid. My original approach was a genuine start, but it just wasn't "right". My plane is going to be, hopefully, more of a sailplane. Sailplane fuselages are slim and streamline. My fuselage tube is just way wrong....my opinion. Instead of the 6inx3in fuselage tube, I think I'm going to make it 4"x4". As far as the tail section goes....I'm not sure how much I'm going to trim off, but it may end up being close to 50%.

That brings me to the maiden flight....unfortunately....I have no idea, lol. I certainly don't know it all, but I want to be sure that I give the plane the best possible chances of success. I will surely keep the forum updated as I go along. Also...I'm still looking to get a 22" propeller to try out on my watt meter to see what kind of power I can get from it and I might be upgrading the ESC to an HV ESC to run on 12S. The motor is rated for a max of 14S, so I should be good.

wolfman76

Hey Derek i say tether that table down and give enough slack to allow it to pick the table legs of the ground i think that would be an awesome demo video to demonstrate the pie power of this behemoth!!!! What do you say lets get it on video...

Derek

lol....it probably would do it, too. I saw we get 4 of these motors and make a massive quad-copter. I don't wanna be the one to fund that project, but it sure would be impressive!!! That's for another thread, lol

murankar

Staff member
Derek,
I have been following a select few threads and this is one of them for sure. I, like you; have had a ton of stuff going on at work and have not had much time to keep up on the forum let alone make posts regularly. I hope to get back here more often.

I hope you get this air in the air soon.

Top Bottom