Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Jerryz

Hi....I have a project that is stressing me out too. I am working on a Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini. The directions are terrible, and the pics are over exposed. Anyway, I'm trying to mount the the wheels and pants. The directions tell you to drill holes, and that's the end of it. I have no idea how to mount those wheel pants. What should I use for an axle? Any thoughts?

Tony

Staff member
They make axles specifically for planes that have a smooth shaft, however, you can just use a 4-40 bolt and use nuts to create your space for the wheel. Don't clamp down on the wheel, so make sure to get locking nuts, or use double nuts.

Tony

Staff member
I would show you what I have on my Edge 540 plane, but it's put up right now and I really don't want to dig it out lmao. I'm sure Derek has a picture of one of his axles that he can post up though .

Jerryz

As it turns out, the last page of the directions explains it a little better but not much. They supplied 2 CF axles but it's not clear how to secure them or space them.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL yeah you can leave your Edge to rest. But thanks for the thought.

Derek

OK, we are going try this again. I am off this weekend, the weather is going to be gorgeous, my Dad will be available, I have a babysitter to watch my daughter, batteries on the charger right now. I will be taking my 20 foot wingspan "FB Albatross" out for it's maiden flight attempt. I will have pictures of the assembly and video of the flight attempt.

I do have a question...I've got this beast wired up for two 6S packs, in parallel. I also have some Low Voltage Meters that can be plugged to the balance plug of a lipo. As a safety measure, can I plug one of these LVM's to one of the 6S packs and have it beep at me if the voltage gets down to 3.7v or do I need to plug two LVM's to each of the two 6S packs or can I simply NOT do this?

Tony

Staff member
You cna plug it into just one of the batteries. because they are connected in parallel, it will see the voltage of both packs. The only thing that can change is the voltage of each cell. Because the parallel balances overall voltage, the meter will only read the individual cells. Because the cells are not connected in parallel, it could be off by a couple tenths.

But to confuse you even more, that doesn't matter. One meter will do just fine. lol

Derek

that's exactly what I thought. Thanks buddy! So...tomorrow is the day....win, lose, or draw....I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Derek

-----------> to the sky-----------------> she will fly--------->!

I am actually quite confident that the plane will come off the ground under it's own power. After that...well....we'll just have to wait and see and hope that I'm on my toes.

Derek

I did take the Albatross out for its maiden flight attempt today. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well. I have pictures and video. I'll post them tomorrow.

Derek

So....the two year project is over and we're moving on and looking ahead. It really was quite the project. I'd really like to thank Tony for his help with this project. There were several other RCH members that helped me out with this project, and I thank you, too, but Tony helped me pick out the electronics and really gave some serious support. I appreciate that very much. It was a fun build and I learned a lot.

Thank you, RCH!!!

treff

Stressing done and now.......................................................................................................RELAX!

Derek

Stressing done and now.......................................................................................................RELAX!

Yep....I can close this chapter and begin the next large project.....it just won't be as large as the Albatross, lol. I've learned that lesson.

treff

Yes I know what you mean Derek. I have a 15 foot scale glider ready to go, just waiting on a bit of good weather and the wind to be in the right direction then
off the top of a local mountain it goes. I have been building this thing for about 4 years on and off, more off, what with ill health i kinda lost interest a few times
but now it ready. Should be fun.

Top Bottom