Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Tony

Staff member
It's getting there bro. And man, Jordan looks so much like a girl that I used to know, It's not even funny how much they look alike, they could be twins!

Derek

it's funny how some people can look like another that you know. It's happened to me on more than one occasion.

Yes...the plane is coming along. I was having a mental block or something for quite some time and didn't get any progress done at all. It was frustrating. However, over the past 24 hours, I really think that I've gotten quite a bit done. I'm fairly certain that I have the CG properly located. Steerable tail wheel made up, installed, and wired. Motor and ESC wired up. Front landing gear, although not glued solid yet, installed.

I'm working over the weekend and probably Monday, too. I can work on the plane a bit on Tuesday then I'm working Wednesday and then I'm off work for 8 days. I can probably do some testing on Thursday but mostly on Thursday we are going to be getting packed up and cleaning the house a bit before we leave for IRCHA on Friday morning. We'll be back from IRCHA on Monday. Then I'll have several days, still off work, that I should be able to get the 20' wing test fitted and maybe even see the maiden flight attempt, shortly thereafter. I'll be so relieved when this project is finally done....one way or another.

I won't be trying another project like this for quite some time. Granted I've learned a great deal but this thing has been really stressing my patience, lol. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Tony

Staff member
If you decide to run this thing on 6s batteries, remember your thrust to weight ratio is very low. It's like flying a real Cub or Cessna. Very small and slow moves and there is no way in HELL you are going to do a loop or roll lol. Just take it easy on the sticks. Very precise and deliberate moves.

Derek

yeah...i'm just gonna stay with the 6S setup that we talked about. I don't really want to buy an HV esc just to run on this plane. However, I'm still thinking about it because I have an upcoming project that will require an HV esc. Choices...choices!!!

Tony

Staff member
Think about it this way. If you get a Castle Creations 120HV, then you can use it on this plane, then you can turn around and stick that monster on your new Align 700 DFC that you KNOW you are going to get for your next helicopter lmao.

I have 700 plans in my future, and you can damn sure bet that it's going to be electric. Monster power.

Tony

Staff member
Well then there you go. You must run at least a 10s setup if not 12s+ on a 700, so this situation is a win win.

Derek

I've got some 4S batteries coming...I was thinking about 10S on my Albatross. then I'll have the HV ESC for my big heli. I dunno...it just depends on how the Albatross behaves on the taxi tests and possible maiden. I guess I'm looking at a bit of overtime soon. Ugh!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I've got some 4S batteries coming...I was thinking about 10S on my Albatross. then I'll have the HV ESC for my big heli. I dunno...it just depends on how the Albatross behaves on the taxi tests and possible maiden. I guess I'm looking at a bit of overtime soon. Ugh!!!

Hmmm, just looked at the Castle website and the entire line of ICE HV ESC's are discontinued. WOW!!!

Tony

Staff member
If you want to make it a true taxi test, then add up the weight of the wings if you are not going to have them on there and add that weight to the fuse. I would add just a bit more if at all possible. Should give you an idea of how fast it's going to accelerate if you have that much room to test that is.

llommel

Derek, haven't seen any activity on your plane lately. Been waiting a long time to see some video of the maiden flight. How's it coming along?

Derek

Hi there buddy! I'm glad that you brought this thread back because of interest. In fact, I just got done working out the wing supports today. The monstrosity is done and complete. Unfortunately, the weather as gone to crap. Will it fly yet this year? I don't know. I have an appointment with Mother Nature so that I can hopefully make a compromise for a warmer day than the 23 degrees today. I will keep an eye on the weather forecast and I will try to maiden it this year. It the maiden can't be done this year, it's just going to have to wait until 2014. I'm not happy about it but it is what it is.

Maybe I can get the plane parts out in the yard and do a video on how it all assembles.

llommel

10-4 on that weather. It's been cold & windy here for the last 3 - 4 weeks & not getting any better. Been waiting to get my DJI Phantom out again but not in this weather.
Better wait till you get some nice weather there b4 you fly your plane, don't want any unforeseen problems popping up!!!

Derek

I'd just like to give an update on this project....my FB Albatross.

For those of you newer members that take the time to read this, I have built a rather large rc plane from Dollar Tree foam board. What's the significance of that? My Fb Albatross measures 9.5 feet in length and has a wingspan of 20 feet....that's 240 inches of wing with a 13.5 inch wing chord. This monstrosity will be powered by a Tacon Bigfoot 160 245kv motor, spinning a 20x10 APC propeller. I have a 100amp esc and two 6S 3000mah lipo batteries wired in parallel for a total of 6000mah.

So, enough of the info, here is the update. For the past several months, I have been dealing with this plane as it takes up so much space in my garage/workshop. Even though I do have the plane 100% complete and ready for setup, I have recently decided to strip the electronics from this plane, scrap the Albatross, and work on a rather large 3D plane. It's not a decision that I have come to easily but it's what I've decided to do.

Then....I was talking with Tony tonight and I told him about my decision. Tony is actually the one that is responsible for helping me find the motor, esc, prop, battery setup, servo's, and more. Tony also convinced me that I need to stick with this plane and give it a fair chance. It really didn't take a lot of convincing but he's right. Tony told me that I should take it out, set it all up, and give it a good try. Even if it crashes, which has always been a possibility, I need to give it a fair chance. After all, I'm the one that came to him for help.

So...that's what's going to happen. I'll just have to wait a bit longer for some decent weather because it has been cold, windy, rainy, and snowy here for the past month or so. The better weather is due to come....some day, lol. If I can just get a day that is in the 40's-50's, I'll take my FB Albatross out and I'll give it a fair chance.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I've got to agree with tony. You have to fly this plane before you do anything. You have worked way too long on it to give up now. We have also waited too long to see the video of it flying for you to scrap it now. So get her in the air!!!! Lol

Derek

Yep...that's the plan. I might try to work on some snow ski's for this plane so that I can fly it on the snow that we have or maybe just wait until the weather is back in the 40-50 degree temperatures again. I will definitely attempt to fly this plane at least once. I've put some thought into it and I am going to redo the landing gear. I'm going to try and find (or just fabricate) some larger wheels. The 5" wheels that I have on the front just don't do well in the grass.

Top Bottom