I Quit Smoking!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
I am dripping 100% VG as well whereas the kayfun is somewhere around 50/50 to 60/40 pg/vg. So I will need to try out some thinner juice to really compare it to the kayfun flavor.

RandyDSok

Odd... I'm getting more flavor with the Magma vs my Kayfun. I position my coil at the same level that the post holes are and directly over the air hole... when I moved it closer the flavor was weaker. You already know the style build I'm using etc... so I won't repeat that. I'm vaping 30PG/70VG blends

Just as luck would have it... I found yet another ZNA clone is coming from Cloupor the ZNA50 ... a 50w version. Should see supplies about the end of Sept.

As far as being worried about getting a good working whatever ( it won't be a box mod no matter who makes it, personal preference )... I was only concerned about the Tobeco one... I've read far too many QC issues being reported on their products. Either way... if I get one now, it'll stretch my non-existent budget... but I am chompin' at the bit also. Still, the longer I wait, the better my options are likely to be.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I have been hitting this thing for a while now and have formed an opinion with it sitting on top of my Pegasus.

The RDA looks amazing. Even with that ring being 23mm and the body 22mm, the black color hides it quite well. The etching on it is great, nice and deep and should last.

I did switch down to some 50/50 juice and the flavor did come up, but still not where I thought it would be. But as I stated above, the flavor is on par with the Tobh with both of them wide open. I have tried the other two holes and as it should, the flavor went up slightly, but so did the temp of the vape. Again, I"m running a .54 dual coil setup, so it's warm to begin with.

Dripping this RDA is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS!!! If you drip through the drip tip, you will ALWAYS get juice flowing out of the air hole(s). I have to, on 100%VG, drip 10 drops, then do a dry suck on the RDA then drip 5, dry suck, then drip 5 more. This fills up the wells in the RDA. But, if you try to do 20 straight drops, you will get juice running all down your mod and your hand.

This leaking is not so bad with the 50/50 juice. It seems to fall down a lot easier into the well. But after about 20 drops of 50/50 (with a needle tip) you still need to do the dry suck to keep it from coming out of the holes.

I have found that taking the top off is the easiest way to fill this RDA although it is a pain since you have to either make sure your air adjustment doesn't move or you have to line up your holes again.

Speaking of air holes, I'm running this thing wide open with dual 3mm holes and the draw is still pretty tight for me. It's just slightly tighter than the Tobh wide open. But, this is a flavor RDA so this part is tolerable.

I have noticed that the drip tip hole is a little larger, only slightly, than most RDA's out there. If you are running a white silicone O-Ring, then it's loose. If you are running a rubber O-Ring, then it's pretty tight. The raised area for the drip tip, I don't like. I have multiple tips that are larger than the raised area, and I have some that are smaller. I have not found a single one yet that is the same size. This is an OCD thing but I don't like that.

I want to get my IPV3 and wind a 2.4 ohm coil, dual, to get more surface area and see how that vapes. I am also about to chance my coil to a twisted 28ga dual coil to see if that helps any. And finally, I"m going to try some flat wire in here. There is another coil that I want to try that incorporates flat wire, 28ga and SS mesh which is supposed to have insane flavor. But, it's a lot of work and usually doesn't turn out right. So I may not do this one. But, I need to find my coil before I can make a determination on this RDA. I'm still hitting it, which is more than I can say for the stilare. lol. The stilare needs dual O-Rings to hold the top cap to the base.

back to testing... The wife just went to pick up my Paragon mod from the PO. So it's going to be sitting on "IT'S" mod soon.

RandyDSok

Use one of your larger diameter o-rings and place it in the groove at the top of the air flow ring but below the top cap threads... This will serve two purposes... one to hold the air flow ring in place and also to block any condensation from leaking out. It seems on mine, I get more condensation than I do get from leaking through the air flow holes. Of the o-rings I have of the right diameter... there are 3 thicknesses... I used a medium one on mine. ( Uncertain what mm that is )

I think you may have gotten used to cloud vaping... flavor vaping typically uses tighter draws and helps saturate the flavor more. I ended up using the medium hole ( single hole, single coil ) although I felt there was a little increase in flavor with the smaller... that was also too tight for my own preferences. Flavor dropped and vapor increased as I went to the larger air hole. I would guess you'd know that you can also use in-between values by using a larger hole and just shutting it down some.

FYI ... a 2mm air hole has four times the air volume as a 1mm air hole ( not twice as many think )

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, it's all about π.

So far, the 8 wrap dual 28ga micro twisted coil is doing much better. It takes a little longer to heat up, but the flavor is there. I think I can go up to about 10 wraps on this coil, but I would need a VW device to do so.

As for the leaking, I'm getting NO leaking from teh seal. It's when you drip, it's hitting the coils then dripping off the coils right into the air hole. But my Magma has a perfect seal. The fact that there is no O-Rings to wear out is a huge plus to me on this RDA. ,

RandyDSok

A mod from another forum is using 26g 8/7 wrap on a 3/32" rod resulting in 0.9Ω in the following pic

i-6Bvw6sv-L.jpg

Later on he revised it to a 1.0Ω build as being the best flavor for him... I suspect he moved up to a larger rod. He was using the two 1mm holes on the Magma even though it's build as a single coil. He's vaping with either a Panzer mech mod or his Provari... he didn't mention the setting on the Provari.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't have one already... here is a good online coil calculator...

http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Actually, going up in wire size would bring down your resistance.

I have tried 26ga before and didn't like it much. You have to do a LOT of wraps to get your ohms up. And for a super sub ohm build, it takes forever to heat up, and even longer to cool down. I have tried anything from 24ga to 32ga and I find the 28 to be perfect for just about everything. I am thinking about wrapping some of this 26ga nichrome that I have and seeing what that does. However, it's a super low resistance compared to Kanthal.

RandyDSok

I wasn't speaking about going to a larger gauge when I mentioned "rod" ... I was talking about what he was wrapping the 26g wire around increasing the diameter of the coil and therefore a slightly higher resistance.

The largest gauge wire I currently have is 28g ... I've also got a roll of 30g which is great for my Kanger heads I rebuild. I've got some 32g somewhere but haven't been interested in it so I haven't located where I stashed it at. On the Magma, for the time being... I'll be using 28g and will probably build a 1.5Ω next ... it was actually what I was shooting for when I ended up with a 1.7Ω by mistake. I may go to a lower resistance but I want to take it in steps and not loose too much surface area also.

Tony

Staff member
I was hoping that was what you meant lol. But yes, that is about the only way you can "slightly" adjust the ohms of a coil.

Having to do some modding on my mod. Seems the button is not hitting all the time. Might just be me used to super low ohm builds (<.35). Those heat up pretty quick. Just have to get used to this thing.

Tony

Staff member
Very interesting. I just found my small flat wire and wound a dual 10 wrap that's hitting .90. I thought the flavor would go up, but the flavor went DOWN! I'm talking no throat hit. Half the time I think it's not even firing. Not a fan at all of the flat wire. Time to take the flat wire out and put in some 6 wind dual 28 twisted, my favorite coil. Should be somewhere around .35 which is my sweet spot. Will post back when I get it in there.

By the way, I'm using the flat wire with some organic cotton. Giving that a shot for a bit over the Japanese cotton. I think I like the JC more than the OC though.

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah! Put my 6 wrap 28 twisted dual coil in this thing and she came alive! It came out at .37 ohm and is right where it needs to be. If you hit it too much, it will get hot as hell, but that is the price you pay for flavor like this! I'm still running wide open, which I have to otherwise these coils would overheat. I will have some final thoughts on this RDA tomorrow. Still testing it out.

Tony

Staff member
For those that are wondering, here is the mod and RDA that I'm testing. It's the one on the right. I have now started to compare it to the one on the left. The Mod on the left is a Pegasus Mech Mod with a copper Tobh Atty RDA. It has a .36 ohm dual 28ga twisted coil in it with 6 wraps each. The Mech Mod on the right is the Paragon with the Magma RDA on top. Again, it has a .37 ohm dual 28ga twisted coil in it as well with 6 wraps.

As you can see in teh picture, there is a slight gap between the Paragon and the Magma and it's driving me nuts! I will be working on this soon, but for testing, it doesn't affect it at all.

I have not done any voltage drop tests yet, but I will. From what I can taste, the Paragon is beating the Pegasus just slightly, but that could be the way the airflow is.

But these are the two mods. The Pegasus was my go to mod and had the best flavor of all of my mods. Will the Paragon/Magma beat it? Only time will tell!

20140913_191159.jpg

20140913_191159.jpg

RandyDSok

Switch up the RDA's.... I suspect you won't find a difference on which mod they are sitting on... just how each RDA performs with the coil/wick setup you have.

Tony

Staff member
The coil/wick setup is exactly the same on both. Exact same coils from the same batch of twisted wire and the same cotton. I am going to do some voltage drop tests to see which mod has less voltage drop. I just need to wind a 1 ohm coil to do it. I guess I could use my kayfun. I think it's at 1.4.

RandyDSok

I went ahead and ordered the A-Mod ZNA clone. I found it on focal ecig for about $20 cheaper than DiscountVapers. This one is also coming with the 18490/18500 tube on it and if I find it isn't enough, they carry the 18650 tubes as well for under $17. I know I'll like the smaller form factor and looks of a 490/500 size battery tube, I'm less certain that I will like it's capacity :D

I'm uncertain when it will arrive but the USA webpage says it will ship within 48hrs, if so, I should have it by next weekend unless there are issues ( slow shipping or no stock etc ). I considered ordering the 18650 tube at the same time but it's webpage listed a 2-7 day wait until it shipped and of course the budget consideration was taken into account.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. Let me know how you like it.

Okay, I have rewicked both the Tobh and the Magma and I'm trying them again with about a 70/30 pg/vg. I have a feeling that the copper is adding to the flavor of the Tobh as it's a little "softer". The Magma is a little more crisp but the tobh has something else in the taste. And I'm not sure what it is. But, I'm still testing.

RandyDSok

Color me shocked...

While it doesn't mean it has shipped or even been packaged... my order already has a tracking number assigned to it. If it gets to the PO by tomorrow, I may have it by Weds-Thurs ....

RandyDSok

Ok I got my A-Mod ZNA Clone in today and while it is too early for a good review... there are some things I like and a few I don't care for... these are all personal preference items so they will mean little in the end.

The size of it is really nice... in 18490 mode, it's actually shorter than my Vision 1300mah eGo Spinner battery by almost 20mm. The weight of if also was a surprise... it weighs in at 155g which is only 22g lighter than my Vamo 30w but 33g heavier than the Vamo v5 ( all Vamo's are stainless ). It makes me wonder if A-Mod is making two versions, one aluminum and one SS since the vid posted a few pages back said that one was aluminum. One of the reviews on the website where I purchased it from does mention it being SS... if so this is a plus in my book despite the extra weight it brings. Only the atomizer sticks out of my shirt pocket so its less likely to flip out like the taller Vamo's, but the weight does make it less comfortable to carry there. Since I seldom even carry my eGo's in my shirt pocket for long... it isn't a big issue.

I need to make a lower ohm coil to test the unit to see what it's capable of. Right now, I've got a 1.6Ω that I tested with and I was able to go all the way up to 30w and got more power with each vape. I'd like to have an in-line volt meter to verify but I don't so... all I can do is go by what the vape feels and sounds like for the moment. The box itself... has both 30w and 12a printed on it... I'm using AW 18490 1100mah batteries which are capable of outputting up to 16a...

Some of the things I have an issue with at this time but suspect I'll get used to... The main one is that it goes to sleep and I have to press the button to wake it up before I can take another vape. Since I can also see that as a safety feature, I don't know that I can complain much, but right now it's a minor issue. The other thing, the up and down buttons are reversed for my way of thinking... the left one is up and the right one is down... just seems backwards to me. The OLED screen stays on for a whole minute after use... it dims at about 45 seconds then goes out at a minute. I think I'd prefer to see it dim at 10s and go out at about 15s... and also be adjustable so everyone could select what they'd prefer.

Last night... I did go ahead and order the 18650 tube for it. I doubt I need an 18650 during work with how I vape right now, but on extended outings I think it will be a nice option. Of course, if I drop my Ω by going dual coil... I'll like having the extra capacity those batteries bring.

Tony

Staff member
I would just wind another coil exactly like you have now. That should drop you down to about a .8 coil. Which, for a cool vape, is about perfect. I need to do about the same with my Piña colada juice that I'm testing out.

Keep testing it and let me know what you think. I'm still waiting on the IPV3 to be shipped. There is also another box mod coming out that is a 150w and looks a LOT like the IPV3.

Top Bottom