I Quit Smoking!!!!!

RandyDSok

I've been contemplating a new coil or two myself... just haven't talked myself into it yet since I just wound this one over the weekend. I'm just not sure if I want to got to about a 28g 1.5Ω or a 30g 2.4Ω... I really don't think I'll want/need more than 15w so I'm leaning towards the 1.5 range

Tony

Staff member
Just wound a new coil. It's with the very small nichrome wire that I had. I put two strands together and twisted them, then wrapped them 13 times. To my surprise, this turned out to be a 3.8Ω coil, and the MVP wouldn't see it. So I had to take it down to 8 wraps and that gave me 2.4Ω. I'm now getting close to 5v, but the power is just not there. I need more power.

RandyDSok

I'm only having slightly better luck I guess...

I was going for about a 1.5Ω coil and ended up with a 1.7Ω instead... only 0.2Ω lower than I had previously. I messed up on the calculator somewhere and made too many changes I guess. I originally was wrapping with a 1.6mm rod, it works well with the Protank heads. I knew that was a little small so I got out a drill bit ( 5/64 ) that was 1.95mm ... the calculator said to wrap a 10/9 wrap ( with 28g ) ... so I guess I missed inputing a number somewhere.

The vape is smoother as I'd guessed since more of the coil was directly over the air hole and not as much hanging on each side... so I did gain a bit. If I use that for a dual coil build... I'd end up at 0.85Ω which is well over the 0.5Ω minimum but still a little higher than I'd hoped for that also... I'm also not sure that 20w would fire a dual coil hot enough but I won't know unless I try it I suppose.

Just guessing at it... It's looking like I'll have to use 30g wire if I want to go dual coil and not end up with huge wide coils that overhang the air holes much.

I also couldn't help but notice a Zen clone called the Zgripper that uses an 18650 battery ... 5w-36w are what they claim. A nice form factor also... just slightly taller than the battery with the electronics on the side of the tube but it isn't as wide as a typical box mod. They are on the VaporTek website here Zgripper 36 by Tobeco - Vapor Tek USA

Like I need or can afford another :D

RandyDSok

I got the Efest 18650 35a batteries in... that's 35a burst and 20a continuous. Using the 1.7Ω coil I built last night... I was able to go up to about 24w before I started noticing it start dropping off and the drop off wasn't near as severe as it was with the other batteries. I suspect with the Sony VTC5 type of batteries... it'd be even better since they have a higher burst and continuous ratings.

Still... I'm strongly considering that ZNA clone when it's released ( ie Zgripper by Tobeco )

Tony

Staff member
I would like to have that one. 35w is more than enough. And I guess since you are buying from there, they are legit. That Hana Modz DNA30 is what I want to try. Ah well, maybe when I get back on my feet.

RandyDSok

I would like to have that one. 35w is more than enough. And I guess since you are buying from there, they are legit. That Hana Modz DNA30 is what I want to try. Ah well, maybe when I get back on my feet.

i have yet to purchase anything from Vapor Tek, sorry if I had given that impression it wasn't intended... I've been monitoring what they post up for sale since they often bring in new products many of which are sold on a pre-sale basis. They keep an Order Updates page so the clients can track when to expect their shipment of a pre-sale item. This is one of the first companies to do a lot of pre-sales items and they've been successful at it... it's certainly a step up from a pre-sale you may find on a forum that is often not done by a company. Unlike a forum pre-sale, I believe I heard the company itself puts the money up first when they place the order so they aren't using their clients money to subsidize their own business or inventory. Considering who they are ordering from, expect the first expected ship times to be overly optimistic.

Some of the things l like about them... of course there is the savings portion that a pre-sale brings, but at the expense of knowning exactly when you'll get the product. They list the items and brands so they usually aren't a fake... just a clone that is known up front. The only complaints I've seen about the company come from the people that were unaware of it being a pre-sale or too impatient to wait for them to arrive.

About the specific device... As I mentioned it's made by Tobeco who in the past hasn't been known for higher quality builds... Recently they have been stepping up their game finally and now I am seeing fewer quality complaints about them. The specs of the device appears to indicate it's built using a YiHi SX350 board but that is my own speculation based on the specs. If it is, it's been well received in the industry but I have yet to see consistent info about them... probably because they can be programmed and each company sets them up to their own standards... I just can't be certain.

Tony

Staff member
Well, it looks like my Vamo V5 is going into the vice. The top cap is extremely tight but I need to get it off to fix one of the buttons. I took the bottom off, but can't get to the board because of a sleeve. Yup, time to put my $50 mod in a vice and start prying on it. Ugh...

RandyDSok

That does suck Tony...

I've got a stainless v2 that I messed up and removed a top o-ring that was suppose to go under the top pin... I also need to remove the top to fix that one but I had another chrome one so I've just set it to the side for now. The v5 is so much better in most areas.

Tony

Staff member
The button still works, but there is no clicking. It's the right button. I'm not sure if she dropped it and the board turned or if it actually messed up the switch on the board. But, that is her favorite mod so I let her take it with her. I will fix it later.

I will say this, at 15w on my KayFun, that thing is putting out the flavor. Loving it. Same build on my MVP just doesn't quite hit it. I'm thinking somewhere between 18-20 watts is where this kayfun would shine. Might just get off the drippers if I can get a VW mod that will go that high.

Tony

Staff member
Magma RDA is on it's way. With me being in a truck and driving, those deep wells are what I need. I can just put my bottle in the drip tip and squeeze for a second and it won't leak out like my Tobh, Stilare and Zenith does. My Tobh has the best flavor of all of them because of the air hole design, but leaks like crazy. And yes, I purchased the one by Infinite! Best quality out there as far as a clone is concerned.

I also had to whip out the credit card because I found a deal that I couldn't pass up. the seller is shady, but I think he is just trying ot sell off his stock because of his negative reviews. I purchased the Paragon Mod with full copper everything for $29. I hated to put this on my CC, but no one else is offering this mod that cheap, adn I have wanted one with a recessed button. Keeps it from firing when you set it down. Again, for the truck.

But Randy, you have my brain wanting to go regulated. There is a new mod coming out that I'm really thinking about. The IPV3. It's a 150w box mod. I will never use that much power, especially with the magma which from what I have seen, likes it right between 17w and 20w. Not looking to chase clouds, I can do that with any mod that I have, I'm looking for flavor and something that will satisfy me on the road. But the IPV3 is a preorder right now for $118, at least that is the lowest I can find. But, will more than likely hold off until I get some checks coming in. But I could order this mod (pre order this mod...) and put up another video on my vape channel. That would help pay for it...

This little 11w MVP is just not doing it. The flavor out of the kayfun is good, but I know it can do better. And there is almost no flavor out of any of my other RDA's. But, I'm also running 100%VG in those as well. The kayfun is a 50/50 blend.

RandyDSok

I'm with you on probably not needing ... I don't know... more than 30w or so... Actually, it's more about the amperage than the watts although they play into it.

My thinking on it... I'm vaping up to 14.5w max depending on the atomizer and e-liquid using a single coil. @1.5Ω ( currently the lowest I'm running at this time ) I'd need 3.1a... If I go to a dual coil making it 0.75Ω... I'd need 4.4a of output. I always like to have extra overhead for times I didn't consider... so I'd like to see something with 6a or more output possible. Ok.. that covers the top side sort of....

I also have vaped some e-liquids that are delicate in both flavor and the amount of power they like before tasting burnt... For those I want to go below 7w of power... To do that they need both a buck and boost circuit ... not a boost circuit by itself which is what most of the newer high power mods are using. The one chipset I know of that incorporates both is the YiHi SX350 but only if they are setup that way by the manufactoror... The one I linked to before ( ZGripper by Tobeco ) was the only one I'd seen that went down to 5w at this time. I also liked that the length of it was only a little taller than an 18650 since the electronics were mounted on the side.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I broke down and had to do it. I'm getting tired of having to carry extra batteries with me and the new IPV3 uses dual 18650 batteries from everything that I'm reading. However, they are wired in series and not parallel, but still, that's going to lower the load on teh batteries. we will see. I have purchased into the preorder in hopes that they ship out soon. And $118 for a 150w regulated mod (yeah, my CC is screaming at me right now) is a steal. I firmly believe this is a DNA killer right here. Hell, the 50w IPV2 is a DNA killer, and that one can be upgraded to 100w.

I do see what you are saying about the lowest wattage setting. I do wish it went a little lower. 5w would be the lowest I would go though. But, even with my Kayfun, I'm finding myself needing 15w or more. As stated, I'm running it, with a 1.4 coil on my MVP at 11w and it's just not enough. But also, the draw is WAY too tight for me. Which is the reason I went ahead and purchased the Magma.

I watched Rip Trippers video on the Magma and in there he stated that "if it was not sent to him, he would NOT have purchased it". And this is because he was comparing it to the kayfun with the air hole right under the coil. And he would have been wrong and highly suggests the Magma to anyone. So, I have it on the way (yeah, it's already shipped. Smoking fast!) and we will give it a shot. Going to wind a dual coil 28g twisted at, I"m thinking, 8 wraps each. Should get me up around about a .7 build. Right now, .35 is my sweet spot on my mods. But if the flavor is like everyone is saying it is, I can up my ohms by double, and get the same flavor out of it with a cooler vape and longer battery life.

Just mixed up some 60/40 PG/VG juice to try in the kayfun. I'm running 20% on the flavoring with no nic right now (forgot to put it in and filled the bottle up lol). We will see how it does. Need to rebuild the kayfun, or re wick it anyway, so it will be a true test.

I am itching to get the IPV3 though. It will be my first REAL box mod. No, I don't consider the mvp as a "mod". Just like I don't consider the iTaste VV a mod. The only difference between the two is battery size and you can use the mvp as a power bank. The other thing that I'm looking forward to on the IPV3 is the RDA will sit lower as there is NOT eGo threading on it. If you want to run an eGo style tank, which I don't see why anyone would on a 150w device, you can just use an adapter. It does have a spring loaded 510 which I'm a little worried about, but we will see.

RandyDSok

Condolences to your CC ... lmao :D

And congrats to ordering a new mod despite your CC's screams .... VaporTek's pre-order states that their shipment won't ship until at least Sept 17th. The manufactoror will usually ship to the first vendor that ordered them...

I was just thinking about the 510 connectors the other day. Technically... the eGo connection is much more rugged/stable than just a 510 which is very dated now but it is still the most popular. My next mod, if I get the one I'm thinking of... will also be 510 only but I can always use an adapter for an eGo device such as the Mini Protank's I use at work etc.

Tony

Staff member
I have put the CC on life support. Its evil to say this, but it looks hilarious hahahaha.

And yeah, the latest that I have seen is Pioneer4u has pushed the release back to the 15th. And that is when it's going to leave China. So I'm probably looking at atleast 2 weeks before I see this mod. I want it sooner, but yeah, I'll wait. This is the second pre-order that I have done so here is hoping I don't get screwed. I doubt I will. The people I ordered from have a great rating.

As for the 510, you are right, it's old. but why mess with what works. It's a solid design. I hate the ego threads, they just look horrible IMO. But you are right on them being more stable. But that is what the beauty rings are for and is what I'm using on my MVP with teh Kayfun.

I should have my Magma Friday or Saturday. Not sure on the Paragon, it has not shipped yet.

Tony

Staff member
My Paragon mod has been marked Shipped and they are now out of stock. This dude, with his feedback rating being so low, had better send a flawless mod. But, this is what I get for taking a chance so we will see how it turns out.

I did just find a new RDA that is supposed to have even better flavor than the Magma. Once I get bored with the Magma, I will order it and post up what I think.

Tony

Staff member
Just watched a review from Matt with Suck My Mod about the ZNA clone, which is what you posted up before. Thought you might like it. This one is an 18500/18490 only, and with the 490, you must use a button top, but still, it's a pretty decent mod. And it uses the same chip as the IPV2 and IPV3 so you know it's reliable.

ZNA Clone by Wotofo A-Mod Review - YouTube

RandyDSok

Thanks for that Tony...

That isn't the same clone actually. That one is from A-Mod and has a 7w-30w range and it's already available from DiscountVapers for just under $98 if you or someone is interested, I was looking at the one by Tobeco. I do like that it is a natural brushed finish instead of the coating the Tobeco has. The Tobeco's range at 5w-35w as my main interest and secondary was that it's made for the 18650 so the tube won't extend past the body if you were to add a 18650 tube to that one.

Microsmoke is also about to release their clone of the ZNA as well. It will come with both tubes from what I've seen... the standard setup is with the 18450/18500 tube and the optional 18650 tube. It will also be a 7w-30w mod.

RandyDSok

While the Paragon is just another mech mod to me... :D .... I'm really curious to see if you got the Magma clone today or not... I think you'll love it so I'm excited for ya...

The more I think about the Tobeca Zgripper.... the less I think I want to chance it with their low satisfaction rating I keep reading about. Just read another one mentioning they were looking through all of their mod's, RBA's and RDA's and all of their Tobeca's were falling apart or had bad QC issues of some sort. I may be switching back to the A-Mod you posted the vid of even though I'd have to get a longer tube if I wanted to go with a 18650... I've already got two AW 18490's anyway so I could always just change batteries.

Decisions ... decisions ... lmao

Tony

Staff member
If you really want something that you know works, get the IPV2. It's about a bill and works great. and it's 50 watts. I'm still waiting on the IPV3 to ship and don't expect it for at least another three weeks.

I did get the Magma today. Just wound dual 7 wrap micro coils and I'm trying it out now on my Pegasus. It's at a .54Ω and this thing is chucking the vapor. But the flavor is not what I thought it would be. I thought it would be more in your face than the kayfun, but the kayfun is kicking it's ass right now. But, there is still more testing to be done before I can decide on it. I will say this, it's about on par with the Tobh as far as flavor and clouds go. Which is pretty good seeing as, for an RDA, the Tobh has the best flavor of all that I have.

Top Bottom