I Quit Smoking!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
Wow, it has been 20 months and 18 days since I did an update to this thread! I can tell you a LOT has changed in that time. So lets get into it.

Shortly after the last post, I ended up getting back in a truck and hated every mile. I have driven truck since 2001 and I'm just flat tired of it. Driving down the road, it is quite hard to refill your vape, and with all of the asshats on the road it is just easier to fire up a smoke and keep truckin. The wife an I did some talking and we both decided I needed to get out of a truck for good and about a year ago I did just that. I parked that truck, cleaned it out and have not even missed it. But it doesn't come without its challenges. But that is for another time.

When I got out of a truck, I was still smoking and I found myself going through a pack just editing videos here at the desk. When you are vaping, it is common to fog out a room with vape, but I was doing this with cigarettes. Just straight chain smoking and at the end of every cigarette, I had the same thought... "That last puff was nasty as hell, why do I keep doing this????". So I found my vape stuff, wicked up a build, mixed some new juice and started the process all over again. Let me tell you, it was hard, very hard, to quit smoking that last time. Much harder than the first time I quit when I made this thread. But that challenge drove me to work harder at it.

I was doing really good through Sept and Oct but then Nov came and we had a bunch of family over for turkey day and my sister brought this little gokart thing that we were tearing the hell out of the grass with. Lets just say, we had all had some 'adult beverages' and my sister and sister in law came up to the front porch in the kart and it was either me or my brother in law that was going to get into it. Well, it ended up being me. Huge mistake. We went driving around and got out on the road which was gravel, did some doughnuts and came hauling butt back to the house. I decided I wanted to go past my line of trees, kick the kart sideways and slide up into the yard and keep going. That is when the night went south, fast....

I still remember everything that happened. The kart did exactly what I wanted it to do, it slid sideways, we did a little drift into the very shallow ditch and back up onto the yard sliding sideways the entire way, then something happened that I didn't expect. The tire rolled under, the wheel caught the grass and the kart was going over. When it dug in, the kart loaded then unloaded the suspension launching the kart into the air. It landed on the roll cage on the passenger side at which time my sister in law was ejected from the kart. Me, I was still in it taking the full 8 second ride. If flipped up onto the roof, onto the drivers side, back onto the wheels and then finally back on the passenger side with me in a very weird position. But all I could think about was, "where the hell is my sister in law?". She wasn't there and this happened so fast I didn't know where she went.

I stood up and looked around and found her laying on the ground about 20 feet from where I stopped. She has a massive knot on her head where she hit the roll cage and she was holding her arm in great pain. We all talked about it later and found that when it was going over she had a hold on the roll cage and when it rolled, it caught her arm between the cage and the ground. I'm hurting pretty good at this time but my pain is not important, hers is. We get her back to the house and get her sweater off and the swelling in her arm is getting worse. It is later decided that she needs to go to the ER. So they leave and I'm not in a good way.

The reason I tell that story is because after that crash, I smoked cigarettes, and I smoked a LOT of them. I'm talking over a pack in just a few hours while I was waiting to hear how she was doing. The end result ended up being something that I could not spell if I had to but it did break her arm and her hand. Yea, I feel like crap still to this day, but we still talk and laugh about it. But it has changed how I do things. If I'm going to drink and get into a go kart, I'm going to be by myself, or better yet, just not do it at all lol. It was stupid.

Once I found out she was okay, the next day, I never picked up another cigarette. Not because it reminded me of something, but because I just flat am tired of smoking and blowing money on them. A carton a week, that is $60 a week, $240 a month just going up in smoke and making me cough my ass off every morning when I wake up and all throughout the day. I was tired of coughing, I was tired of the yellow fingers, I was tired of the smell and I was tired of wasting money. So the day after turkey day I quit smoking once again, and I have not picked one up since that day.

It is right at 8 months later at the time of this post, and I still have not even touched a cigarette. If I walk outside and smell it it is horrible. Thanks to Leo, I do dabble in a cigar every now and then, but unless I'm on a live stream, it takes me 3 to 5 days to finish one. And I usually only fire one up when I'm stressed or I just want to sit out on the front porch with the wife. She still says she wants to quit, but she is smoking more and more. But I don't hound her too much about it. She doesn't smoke in the house so it's whatever.

I am going through a 350ml bottle of juice in about two weeks though. I vape a LOT especially if I'm stressed out or working on something. But I'm not smoking and don't plan on ever smoking again other than the occasional cigar here and there. In fact, Leo is supposed to be sending me some flavored cigars lol. These could be a very bad thing, but I think I will still treat them the same way I do the ones I have now.

So if you are thinking about quitting smoking, it is possible. If I can do it then I know you can. You just have to tell yourself that you want to quit, that you are tired of wasting money, the smell and everything else, and you MUST believe it! If you don't, then you will never quit. It will always be in the back of your mind that you want one. In the back of my mind I see all of the family members that have died because of them. It's working for me, now you just need to find what will work for you. And my house smells a LOT better now. Nothing worse than walking into a stagnant smoke smelling house every day...

Geena

Staff member
I think it's safe to say it now, but after 24 years of smoking, I set them down. And the way I did it, I never would have believed that it would work.

Over the years, I have tried the gum, the patches, the little cigarette look-a-likes from the gas station, and nothing works. So I completely blew all of those off and decided that I would just go to the doctor and get some Chantex and quit that way. Even though it's going to cost me more than it would if I was smoking.

But one day, I was on my way home and saw a place called "OKC Vapes" in Norman. I told the wife about it, and told her that I was going to stop in there and see what it was all about. A couple days later, I did just that.

Upon going in that place, I was overwhelmed at the amount of stuff that was there. One side was all of the "things", and the other side is what they call a "Vape Bar". You can sit there and try out any flavor that they have. And let me tell you, they have a LOT of flavors.

So I tried a few and settled on a flavor called "Camel Hump". Yes, that is it's real name. I picked this one because it was the closest flavor to what I was smoking.

I purchased a "kit" that came with two batteries, two tanks, two chargers and 10ml of the camel hump. I toked on this flavor for a few days, but I still wanted the cigarettes.

They had this flavor in there that I really wanted to try, it was called Cinnamon Red Hot. If you have ever had Red Hot's, then you know what the flavor is. Or, if you have ever chewed Big Red gum, exact same.

I went in and had to purchase a new tank that was made out of Pyrex (glass) because this stuff cracks plastic. But I wanted it. So I purchased it and started toking on this. I did this on Saturday, March 29th. After I purchased that, I didn't have a craving, but still had the occasional cigarette.

Then came Sunday, March 30th. I woke up and hit the vape, and boom, no craving for cigarettes. All that day, I didn't have a craving. I layed in bed, and as usual, I had my pack of cigarettes on teh nightstand, and decided to have a "Celebratory Cigarette" as my "Last Cigarette" because this was going so well.

Monday, I had to go to work, so up at 0430 and again, toked on the vape and everything was fine. All week was that way. Just hit the cinnamon and it was all good. Even on breaks and lunch at work.

Then came the weekend, Me, sitting there, bored. Yup, started having the cravings then, but just because that is what I have always done. But, I just grabbed my vape and started hitting it. It was amazing that the cravings went away.

Now mind you, I have since purchased a variable voltage, 1300mah battery, a Kangar Pro 3 tank with dual atomizers as well as more of the other tanks that are made out of Pyrex. I have also tried different flavors, but the cinnamon is what is doing it for me.

So today is day #9 for me. And the even better news is, my brother in law is doing the same thing and I'm not sure that he quit, but he has cut down.

My wife is also doign the same. However, her craving killer is the Peppermint flavor, which I also like. so today, I picked up 40ml of peppermint for her today. She has not had a cigarette for two days now. Only because her other flavor was not working.

so everyone, I know they all say this, but if I can do this, you can do this. I'm the biggest skeptic out there and thought this would fail. But I was wrong, in a big way. This I'm pretty sure, is going to save me from dying in the next 5-10 years. Family history, long story.

So who is going to join me in quitting smoking? I want to get at least 25 people to join me!

Day #9! I'm ecstatic!!! If you have questions about this, post them up. I'm starting to learn quite a bit about the whole vaping thing and feel that I can help you out. I feel this is not only the best decision that I have made in my life, but also the most challenging. But this stuff is making my life so much easier in dealing with it.
Congrats on quitting. Your lungs will thank you. :) I can`t join you in quitting, because I never got started. But congrats again. :)

Tony

Staff member
I wish every day that I never started. I have been smoking since I was 9 years old and it has only gotten worse though the years. Now that I have been off of them for over half a year, things are definitely easier, like breathing lol.

Top Bottom