I Quit Smoking!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
I think it's safe to say it now, but after 24 years of smoking, I set them down. And the way I did it, I never would have believed that it would work.

Over the years, I have tried the gum, the patches, the little cigarette look-a-likes from the gas station, and nothing works. So I completely blew all of those off and decided that I would just go to the doctor and get some Chantex and quit that way. Even though it's going to cost me more than it would if I was smoking.

But one day, I was on my way home and saw a place called "OKC Vapes" in Norman. I told the wife about it, and told her that I was going to stop in there and see what it was all about. A couple days later, I did just that.

Upon going in that place, I was overwhelmed at the amount of stuff that was there. One side was all of the "things", and the other side is what they call a "Vape Bar". You can sit there and try out any flavor that they have. And let me tell you, they have a LOT of flavors.

So I tried a few and settled on a flavor called "Camel Hump". Yes, that is it's real name. I picked this one because it was the closest flavor to what I was smoking.

I purchased a "kit" that came with two batteries, two tanks, two chargers and 10ml of the camel hump. I toked on this flavor for a few days, but I still wanted the cigarettes.

They had this flavor in there that I really wanted to try, it was called Cinnamon Red Hot. If you have ever had Red Hot's, then you know what the flavor is. Or, if you have ever chewed Big Red gum, exact same.

I went in and had to purchase a new tank that was made out of Pyrex (glass) because this stuff cracks plastic. But I wanted it. So I purchased it and started toking on this. I did this on Saturday, March 29th. After I purchased that, I didn't have a craving, but still had the occasional cigarette.

Then came Sunday, March 30th. I woke up and hit the vape, and boom, no craving for cigarettes. All that day, I didn't have a craving. I layed in bed, and as usual, I had my pack of cigarettes on teh nightstand, and decided to have a "Celebratory Cigarette" as my "Last Cigarette" because this was going so well.

Monday, I had to go to work, so up at 0430 and again, toked on the vape and everything was fine. All week was that way. Just hit the cinnamon and it was all good. Even on breaks and lunch at work.

Then came the weekend, Me, sitting there, bored. Yup, started having the cravings then, but just because that is what I have always done. But, I just grabbed my vape and started hitting it. It was amazing that the cravings went away.

Now mind you, I have since purchased a variable voltage, 1300mah battery, a Kangar Pro 3 tank with dual atomizers as well as more of the other tanks that are made out of Pyrex. I have also tried different flavors, but the cinnamon is what is doing it for me.

So today is day #9 for me. And the even better news is, my brother in law is doing the same thing and I'm not sure that he quit, but he has cut down.

My wife is also doign the same. However, her craving killer is the Peppermint flavor, which I also like. so today, I picked up 40ml of peppermint for her today. She has not had a cigarette for two days now. Only because her other flavor was not working.

so everyone, I know they all say this, but if I can do this, you can do this. I'm the biggest skeptic out there and thought this would fail. But I was wrong, in a big way. This I'm pretty sure, is going to save me from dying in the next 5-10 years. Family history, long story.

So who is going to join me in quitting smoking? I want to get at least 25 people to join me!

Day #9! I'm ecstatic!!! If you have questions about this, post them up. I'm starting to learn quite a bit about the whole vaping thing and feel that I can help you out. I feel this is not only the best decision that I have made in my life, but also the most challenging. But this stuff is making my life so much easier in dealing with it.

Stambo

Excellent move for you and your family, congratulations.
Having the wife do it with you has to be a huge help as you will encourage each other.

treff

Many congratulations Tony. In years to come you will realise that this will be one of the best moves you make in life. I'm speaking from experience
after a few heart attacks and the like. Also from a financial point of view it's a no brainer. Well done.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I must correct something, I wasn't posting this thread to try and gloat that this is actually working for me. I really created this thread to try and help others that are going through what I just went through.

You see, I"m a HUGE skeptic and I told myself that this would not work. But once I found my flavor, it did work and I"m ecstatic. I want to be there to try and help others that are looking to quit, but just don't have the money for the doctors visit and the medication that is needed. I know I"m busy, but I will do all that I can to help someone gain a better way of living by quitting smoking. It's not something that you are just going to "do", you have to try.

If you want the honest truth, I don't want to quit smoking. I love everything about it. The taste, the feeling, everything. What I don't like is the fact that it's going to kill me within 10 years if I don't stop. I lost my dad when I was 12, I don't want my kids growing up as I did, although my kids mother is MUCH better than mine and the way she raised us. But still, I"m only 34 years old. I want to live to at least 60 just to prove to my family that a man in this family can live past 55.

So if any of you need some encouragement, hit me up! I will do all that I can to help you out. If I don't respond right away, don't panic! I work early hours so this may mean I'm at work, or sleeping at the time. But I will get your message when I get up, or get off work. I want to help.

Give it a try, you will be surprised.

RandyDSok

On one of the other RC forums that I used to visit... there were/are a number of smokers. There were also quite a few that had switched over to vaping.

I tried vaping about 4-5 years ago initially... I found it was intriguing and certainly promising... but it didn't hit the right sweet spot for me. Much of which I've found out later is just part of my type of habit. I started vaping again about 2 years ago and everything is much much better than when I first tried it. I still haven't put down cigarettes... but I have cut down a lot compared to before.

What do I mean by "type of habit" or perhaps addiction may be a better word... sometimes it's hard to pinpoint but I found it consists of a number of factors and everyone has different proportions of them.... sort of like the saying "taste is subjective" only we are talking about something even less obvious to point at.

There is the big obvious part that most know of... the nicotine addiction itself. Like I mentioned, everyone will have different degrees of it... for myself it is a very little portion of my own smoking habit. I've vaped high and low nic e-juices and other than the higher nic having more of a throat hit... it didn't cause me to be more or less satisfied. So the e-juices I get, are now all low nic at about 6mg. I picked that level not so much for the addiction but the effect... The amount of nicotine in the e-juice affects how the vape hits your throat... higher nic has a harder throat hit. If you've ever smoked a strong cigarette, cigar or pipe and it made you cough hard... it's likely the throat hit causing it.

Another part that few think of... is the mouth and lung feel. How thick the vapor feels in your mouth and lungs. Again, like the nicotine, everyone will have more or less of an addition to this part of the habit. I find for myself, it is a really important part and I prefer a thicker heavier vapor. There are a couple of things that help control the "thickness" or "heaviness"... The two primary things are how much PG and how much VG they contain. The PG has a lighter vapor than VG has... it also carries flavor better and has more of a throat hit than VG as well. The VG liquid helps make a vapor thicker. Both VG and PG are hygroscopic like alcohol is and absorbs water... So if you do start or try vaping... remember to drink lots of water. Both are generally considered as safe ( GCAS ) by the FDA and are used extensively in just about everything from medicines to shampoo's. In fact, there is probably not a lot of products you may commonly use that don't have these in them.

The other part... and probably the most important to most people are the flavors. Of the number of friends that I've turned onto vaping and have quit smoking... I'm always surprised at how many end up only vaping non-tobacco flavors. I'm not one of those... I prefer real tobacco taste and in fact... that is the biggest part of my own addiction. Most e-juice's that claim to be tobacco flavored... interestingly don't use real tobacco to get their flavor. While they may only be using natural flavorings to make it with... they aren't real natural tobacco flavorings.... they are other natural flavors combined to simulate the flavor of tobacco. There are a number of places that do actually extract just the flavor from real tobacco... but they are not common. The products that most of them make can be anywhere from boldly flavored to those that you can barely taste actual tobacco flavor in. There are about 30 total companies I"m aware of that make naturally extracted tobacco ( NET ) e-juices... of those only about 9 are top tier for quality and flavor.

Finding the right e-juice for your own needs can be easy for some... and not so easy for others since the flavor itself is only a part of the habit. Of course.. there are other factors possibly even less obvious... one such is what I call the "pacifier" effect... I know for me it is also a bit part of my own habit. Even little things like how tight or loose the draw is can make a difference for some.

Oh... there is much more about vaping also... if you want it to be you can also make it a hobby. There are more different types of equipment than you can "shake a stick at" out there and they each have their own advantages or disadvantages even. While in general vaping is cheaper than smoking is... this is only true if you don't let yourself get caught up in the "hobby" of it and have to try each and every product you see that looks cool. Of course... where is the fun in that... after all, the boys will have their toys... :D

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Randy, that is a great explanation. You did hit a few key points there. I am one of those that went into it thinking the tobacco flavors was how I was going to quit, and ended up with Cinnamon that is working. Like finding your DR/Expo settings, it's up to each user. The other thing is the draw. I have 3 different tanks with me and I hit them all. It just depends on what I need out of them.

And you are exactly right in getting caught up in the "hobby". So far, I have only purchased the cheaper stuff. I have the Pyrex tanks, I have the adjustable voltage batteries, but I really want to try some of the higher end stuff such as the fully digital ones and the mechanical mods they have. Fully hand made, and over $350 when it's all said and done.

But, for now, I'm just going to keep hitting what I have. It seems to be working. Even driving all day yesterday in a truck (my weakness in smoking) and having the guy next to me chain smoke the whole time, I still didn't want a cigarette. But I did hit this vape a LOT more during that time. It's hard, but it's working.

Tony

Staff member
So I purchased a Vamo V5 today. Man, you want to talk about a smooth, strong draw on this thing. It has the perfect strength draw, you can adjust the voltage, wattage, see what your resistance is in your atomizer, see your battery voltage and more. I should have purchased this when I first started. Thinking about ordering one in Black Chrome since that is my nick name...

RandyDSok

I've got a Vamo v2 ... and it's one of my favorites. The black chrome may not be a good idea... it tends to come off... not really wear, I suspect it is attacked by the acid or salt in sweat. The Black Chrome Bolt that I have is starting to look pretty poorly... unless you like that patina'd look. It's possible that the method they used on the one you are talking about is more durable... but I've read a lot of reports ( on other mod's ) that did like my Bolt.

Quick tip... or info bit. Variable voltage gives you a slightly "finer" adjustment on the output... but the wattage is easier in that you set it and no matter what Ω the coil has... the output is what you've set it too. On the Vamo v5... you'll have a 4-5a output limit depending on which brand they are carrying... ( there are a ton of clones out there ).

For the best flavor you want more coils ( the larger the surface area the better ) and then increase the output to suit you. If you have something like a Protank or mini-Protank... you can easily rebuild the heads. If you do it.. look up how to make a micro-coil and watch a vid or two about it... they kick butt. I usually use 30ga kanthal wire, about 10 wraps on a 1/16" rod and end up with around 2Ω coils. With micro-coils, you build/wrap the coil first and then thread some silica or cotton wick through it. If you use cotton, you can't dry burn... but since you are just using natural cotton balls that you've boiled before using... they are cheap... you just throw out the old and slip in a new one. If using silica... and you wrap as I mentioned.. it will takes 2mm wick and they can be dry burned cleaned a few times before you change out the wick.

Top Bottom