I Quit Smoking!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
Your doing a 15/14 wrap? Holy crap! :shocked:. I have never wrapped one that much. I think 11 was the highest I have went. If you want mad flavor, take that 30g and twist two wires together and do a 15/14 wrap with that. Your flavor will go up. Twisted coils are all I vape with for the flavor reason. See, I'm not just a cloud chaser lol, I like the flavor as well. If I had the cash, I would have ordered this Magma and a new mod to try them out. Maybe when I start getting some paychecks in.

RandyDSok

Your doing a 15/14 wrap? Holy crap! :shocked:. I have never wrapped one that much. I think 11 was the highest I have went. If you want mad flavor, take that 30g and twist two wires together and do a 15/14 wrap with that. Your flavor will go up. Twisted coils are all I vape with for the flavor reason. See, I'm not just a cloud chaser lol, I like the flavor as well. If I had the cash, I would have ordered this Magma and a new mod to try them out. Maybe when I start getting some paychecks in.

The 15/14 wrap was so I'd stay in the 1.8Ω range using the 28ga... I do feel it's a bit large of a coil ( width wise ) which is another reason I was thinking about something in the 1.5Ω range instead. Since I'm using micro-coils ( all of the coils are touching ), twisting the wire ( w/30g ) would defeat the purpose even though it has probably twice the surface area of the 28ga ( adding the diam. of two 30g vs one 28g )... Of course I could compensate for the slower heat up by increasing the wattage I suppose.

BTW.... I'm having to push my budget to get the mod now. The place I ordered from had over 80 yesterday... this evening it was just over 40 left. I think that Evolv's winning their patent for variable wattage ( effective Sept 2 ) may have something to do with that. They originated the idea of using VW on APV mod's with their Darwin and later the original Kick. It's uncertain if they will enforce their patent rights against the other makers of VW devices... or if they were just protecting their own use of them so someone else didn't patent the idea. Either way, right now the market is prepping for the worst case scenario.

Tony

Staff member
Trust me bro. It's going to use about 15" of your wire and it's worth a shot. I know I'm getting much more flavor from my 28 twisted dual coils (and I'm using micro's as well) than I do from straight wire. It would take you about 10 minutes to twist, wind and wick a new coil and if you don't like it, you can put your coil back on as long as you are careful taking it out.

RandyDSok

I'm likely to be stubborn and not twist... lmao ( read, I'm lazy and like doing it simply )

Having said that...

Take your drill, chuck up a hook ( like used on a door latch or similar ), loop your wire in half... on the two loose ends, place them in a vise or clamp, on the looped end... over the hook. Turn on the drill... twisted in moments instead of minutes. I suspect you'll have to keep the tension on it just so... in order that you get an even twist all the way up the wire.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I use a pair of hemostats to clamp down on the open end of the wire. I do a simple hand twist on the open end, enough that it won't slip out of the hemostats. Then, I use an Allen wrench instead of a hook, but a hook will work as well, and with 28 or smaller, I just let it twist until the wire breaks from one end or the other. Gives me a perfect twist every time. But yes, you need to keep pretty good tension on it at all times.

Tony

Staff member
Might be getting a box mod tomorrow. Don't know the brand, wattage or anything else. Will post up if it's worth mentioning.

RandyDSok

I like the battery capacity that some of the box mods have but not the shape so much... I'd even prefer to have a smaller one than the 18650 tube mods I use but what's out there just doesn't match the performance that the larger sizes provide. I'm a bit surprised that we haven't seen a 14500 size mod with higher than a 2a output since the batteries have gotten better.

Tony

Staff member
Well, she didn't bring it over yesterday, but I received a text saying that she would be here tonight. I'm almost certain this is going to be an iTaste MVP. If it is, I do hope it's the V2 as the V1 is ONLY VV and NOT VW. I do everything on wattage on a regulated device.

the thing that sucks about this box mod though, is it's 11w limit. But nonetheless, I will give it a shot and see if I can save a little juice over my mods and up my flavor.

I just need to break down and get something like the DNA30 or something... Once I do that though, I need to figure out what to put on top of it.

On a side note though, I have been playing around with Nichrome wire. I have a build in my Stilare on top of my Nemisis with dual 7 wrap micro coils of what I think is 26ga wire, and it's coming out at .23Ω, about .2Ω lower than Kanthal at the same wrap. And being just straight wire, not the twisted that I always use, this thing hits like a beast. And is easier to wind as it's more malleable. However, the melting point is lower, and if you dry burn, you can pop a coil and short it out.

RandyDSok

I should be getting the KSD "Vamo" 30w tomorrow or Friday... the only question that I currently have is what it's amp limit is but I'm guessing over 5a but not 6a. At 5a, that would mean I could go down to 1.2Ω at 30w ... and at 6a it would go down to a 0.83Ω coil at 30w. Since I seldom vape at more than 10w on a single coil... I should be able to use any coil I wish just about as well as dual coils ( that I don't mess with currently ). Basically I should have all of the elbow room I'd want for my current and future needs... Of course until I test around, I won't know for certain.

I guess I'll need to build up a few different Ω coils this weekend and if/when I do, I'll report back it's capability. BTW, this was only $65... if it does work well, that makes getting into a DNA clone pretty low ( considering )

Tony

Staff member
Not seeing any good reviews on that thing. Anything over 20w and it only puts out about 2.7 volts. But this is on a low ohm coil as well. so with your 1.8 builds, it may do just fine.

RandyDSok

The issue is there are so few reviews and none of the one's I read were taking into consideration the amp limit... they were trying to treat it like a mech mod. The only reason for low ohm builds is if you are on a mech that you can't adjust... just didn't make sense electrically speaking.

On the 28g wire... I will likely drop the ohms a little but that will also depend on how quick it heats up on this thing... on my Vamo v5 it's a bit slow and the flavor changes more than I care for at a higher setting on the juices I'm vaping... basically some of the higher notes start to fade and lower ones come up in volume. I set my power based on two factors... what my throat can take in part, but more for what the flavor balance tastes like.

I may consider getting some 29g also... The size of the coil on the 30g is probably 1/2 the size of an equivalant Ω on 28g and I think something in between may work nicer on the Magma. I'm thinking something just slightly larger than the air hole is what I may want to shoot for

Tony

Staff member
You are right, they are not taking the amp limit into consideration. And it's falling back into a failsafe mode. Post up when you get it and let us know how it goes. I will post up when I get my little mod tonight if it shows up. But again, I'm sure it's an iTaste MVP. so it's going to be weaker than the Vamo V5.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, got the little box mod, and I was right, it's the iTaste MVP V2 with the iClear tank. It's not bad, but it's a little bit of a pain in the ass on the coils. The draw is tight as hell from what I'm used to and even with dual coils, the flavor is just not there. Even at 11w which is the max. However, I'm going to have the wife try this and see what she thinks about it. She may like it. I will report back. But for me, the mvp v2 with teh iclear at 2Ω just doesn't cut it. Maybe I need to wind a single 1.5Ω coil on my Zenith and set it up in single coil mode and give that a shot. Might be a little better. Just sucks that I didn't receive the ring with it. Oh well, it was free-ish. Had to trade one of my other batteries for it.

RandyDSok

I've heard both good and bad about the various iClear tanks... it depended on which ones they were using but I can't remember which ones were getting good reviews and which were more ... meh

With a 3a limit... a single coil would likely work best. Switch it to voltage mode... use about a 1.6Ω and you can go up to almost 15w. Of course it's not as nice as wattage mode but it would be more power with that setting.

Tony

Staff member
It's going to be heavy as hell, but I think I'm going to recoil my KayFun with a 1.5-1.6 and see how that goes. Might just do that tomorrow.

RandyDSok

Got my KSD "Vamo" 30w in.... I'm using one of my older IMR 18650 batteries that only puts out up to 16-20a of power and so far it's working fine. The new batteries, when they get here, have 2500mah capacity so almost what that MVP v2 has at 2600mah

Build quality on this thing is very good with smooth threading. Some minor imperfections that probably showed up during the polish stage... it's a brushed finish so perhaps "polish" isn't the right term... but still. I need to weigh this thing... they used a much heavier/thicker gauge stainless than my Vamo v5 has... it almost feels as heavy without the battery as my v5 does with one.

Minor complaint that I was aware of but just hadn't thought of... It only has a 4 segment battery level indicator... I liked the old one which actually listed the voltage instead. Of course it shows output voltage, resistance and wattage onscreen at the same time which is a definite plus for me.

On the todo list... build a variety of coils at different ohms values to see if I can determine what it's amp limits are... The Mini-Protank II I have on it now ( while at work ) is showing 2.3 ohms... it shows only 8v at 30w onscreen... my calcs show that it should only show 27+ watts then. If that is an indication, then this would only put the amp limit in the 3.5a range... obviously more testing than just one sample is needed.

RandyDSok

After running to the house... I've seen enough without going into thorough testing on the KSD "Vamo" 30w to say... don't buy it unless you are going to vape on coils with higher than the 2.0-2.4Ω range ( didn't test from 2-2.2 yet really, so a guess at best ) to go over the 20w limit seen on coils lower than at least 1.9Ω ( what I did actually a quick test with ). I'd need an inline volt meter to actually see more accurately what is happening and I'm not planning on buying ( or building ) one any time soon. So for now... the power dropped at 1.9Ω when I hit the 20w range.

Of course, I still need to test with higher output batteries... I'm using 16-20a max now and have some 35a ( max burst ) coming in still. I'll repeat the testing some after getting the batteries but I don't plan on a thorough set of tests since I have no inline meter to verify the output with.

That aside... the 20w version is only $5 higher than the Vamo v5... I suspect that would make it a worthwhile purchase to get a few more watts out of a mod. The 30w version is $10 higher so would only be useful over the 20w if using higher ohm coil builds. The build quality alone is worth the extra $5 on the 20w version IMO.

Weight on the 30w ( and likely the 20w also since the difference will only be electronic )... empty it's a hefty 178g ... compared to an empty v5 ( 15w ) at 122g... It's actually heavier than the v5 with a battery.

- - - Updated - - -

PS...

BTW... for what it's worth. Using a factory 2.4Ω coil on my Kanger Mini Protank II ... vapes much better than on the v5 Vamo using the same coils. I was able to go up to 12.5w and got a lot more flavor... it seemed to top out ( flavorwise ) at around 10-10.5w on the Vamo v5. I bet a rebuilt micro coil would be really nice on this

Tony

Staff member
Found out that the iTaste MVP V2 will fire a .8 coil. So my kayfun didn't need to be rebuilt, just cleaned. w00t! Time for some voltage tests.

Tony

Staff member
Doesn't matter if I'm on wattage or voltage, it drops my voltage down to 2.9 volts with the .8 coil on there. I still have ot say though, it's chucking the vape for 2.9 volts.

Tony

Staff member
I couldn't help it, I had to wind a new coil. The only wire I have is 28g Kanthal and even at 11 wraps, it came out at a 1.4. But at 1.4, my voltage went up to 3.6. So I think if I can get a 2.0 coil in there I can hit the magic 5v number. Might have to go to a 2.2. But I had to wind this with straight wire and not twisted so the flavor has went down. Might see if I can twist up some of this Nichrome wire that I have, very small wire, and see if I can get my ohms up, get it to heat up faster and get more flavor with the twisted wire. We will see!

Top Bottom