450 Help with erazor 450

sterlingh

This is going to make me sound weak but when you get to be my age you don't care anymore. I am not sure I want to build my new helicopter from ground up. That is, from just the frame, building it up. Honestly, I probably can do it I have been a tinkerer all my life. But I really want to fly as well, and there will be a lot of time involved just with that. I'm not going to take it out and go sky high. I'm going to do all the ground maneuvers, hovering, etc. Also, I may do myself a disservice in being so new, that I may not tweak it as good as I should.Now if I could get one that has the gears, the shaft, tail rotor, all hooked up that would be good. I can install servos, receiver, Gyro, even motor perhaps. I'm not really sure how one would come if it was not completely RTF. Now in fairness I have yet to watch Tony's video or any video on how to build. I might walk away with a completely different attitude I'm not sure. In any case I just thinking I may not want to do it from ground up.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I may hit a LHS today.

Sterling H.

Lee

Sterling,
Whether you build it now or later after a crash, you still need to know how to build it, And it will give you a better insight into how it works and how to tune it better. Once you have done it the first time it gets easier. I can build one in a couple of hours now. With an Align, it should go together like a jigsaw.

sterlingh

Humm very good point, very good indeed... I am still looking around, and looking hard at the new 450 SPORT V2 SUPER DX6I COMBO HELICOPTER. $565. not shipped. 25. for ship. Other than some new tools that should be it. Tempting.. This may not mean anything but I am wondering something about the receiver. On the e bay page it says "EC3 SPEKTRUM 2.4GHZ DX6i DSMX 6-Channel Transmitter w/ AR6210 Receiver SPM6610" What is the SPM6610? Is it just more numbers for the AR6210 receiver? Just trying to learn and know as much as I can.

Thanks

Sterling H.

RMB677

Sterling, I thought BNF meant bind your transmitter and your ready to go, WRONG! I bought the Blade 450 3D BNF and out of the box I had a problem that ended up being a bad gyro. Don't count on anything from China being ready to go, always expect the unexpected. Horizon Hobby sent me a new gyro and all seems to be working. I thought I'd save time getting the BNF rather than the kit, during the time I spent trying to figure what was wrong, contacting Horizon, and waiting on delivery of the gyro Tony built his kit and had it flying.

Roger

sterlingh

NEW! Align T-REX 450 Sport V2 Super Combo Helicopter KX015081 | eBay

Anyone know this shipper above, or what do you think. Same as the combo I am looking at now.
NEW! Align T-REX 450 Sport V2 Super Combo Helicopter KX015081 $339.00
Free fast shipping. Shipper looks good.. No TX but , I can get the dx6i and two free recievers plus the ar6210 for $209.00 plus free shipping from horizon.

ALIGN T-REX 450 SPORT V2 SUPER DX6I COMBO HELICOPTER RTF AR6210 LIPO CHARGER | eBay

Original link to e bay form good seller $564.00 plus 25.00 shipping. About $590.
E bay seller I found exact same heli free ship $339.
Horizon dx6i plus 2 free receivers and the AR6210 $ 209 free ship 339+ 209 = $548. so maybe I can save 50. big ones and get two free receivers to boot. Thoughts?

sterlingh

Makes a lot of sense what you are saying RM .. thank you. I am thinking I likely will go with the combo T rex 450 sport V2. If I do I only have to decide where to get it. Seems like there are some good deals but I am relying heavy on this forum and the good people in it to help me not get the wrong thing...

Thanks

Sterling H.

Lee

Both deals look good. I have ordered stuff from Go nitro my self for my MCPX and my Trex 500. Great service.

sterlingh

Hey Lee, Thanks. I found another listing from the second seller on e bay. This kit goes for $319.. I have sent him an e mail to see why the price difference and ask him several questions. Mostly making sure he has the bird here in the US and that if order is messed up will he fix it. I mostly just seeing how he /they respond. You never know though. He does have 99.8 feedback, and claims to be out of NY. Power Hobby is the name of e bay seller..

Thanks
Sterling H.

Lee

The flybar does the job of partly stabilizing the heli. Like a set of trainer wheels on a kids bicycle. The FBL unit take over the mechanical job of the flybar electronically making minute adjustments to the blade that you nor your flybar could do as quickly. Basically gives you a more locked in feeling and performs etter in windy conditions.

heli-maniac

go nitro is were i got my 450 pro 3gx kit and a lot of parts they are good people and ship fast
they had sent me the wrong tail braces in a order and they took care of it buy just sending me the right ones for free

Tony

Staff member
I almost purchased my heli from GoNitro but purchased from Power_Hobby. Both are located in Ny and both offer really good shipping.

stokke

My God, Sterling H!

I have just spent the last hour reading through this thread, and I must say; you have had your share of bad luck!
From what I can gather, you're as new to this hobby as me, only you jumped in head first :worked_till_5am:

Have you gotten to fly that E-Razor yet? Or are you still waiting for the tail-servo?

Being a newbie myself, I feel I can relate to the frustration you must have been feeling since you got your bird.
I was luckily pointed in a somewhat right direction by the sales-rep who sold me my first 4CH-bird. Back then I didn't know what "channels", "aileron", "gyros" etc. meant.

My best tip, newbie to newbie; spend some research-hours on Google. Browse forums, guides, Youtube, everthing you can find! Since I started out (May this year), I have probably spent over 100 hours just reading and watching clips online. A even better tip must be to join a club, or get to know someone who is in the hobby already - then maybe you could shave off some of the "research-hours". It should of course be noted that you've already found a good place to learn. The people here are sure some of the most helpful guys I've ever come across on a forum.

Regarding your Tx-choice.
You should definitely go for a 6-channel or more. And the DX6i which has been proposed previously is probably a very good way to go. I myself have acquired a DX7S, which is the 6's bigger brother. Based on the information I've found, and my personal experience, I do think its a great radio. The only thing I'm missing is a back-lit display :( It must of course be noted that I haven't actually used it on a live bird yet, but I have flown a bunch of hours in Phoenix flight-sim.

Regarding your Heli-choice.
As you know, I'm in the middle of building my first 450 from Align. I selected this bird particularly based on hours of research and reading reviews. There was also the question; flybar vs. flybarless for my part, but the decision fell on the flybarless. The flybarless only winning over the flybarred by a hair in the choice-process, due to a public opinion that flybarless is a tad easier to fly if set up correctly. Now I do not have any experience with flying and using an Align 450 yet, but I must say; Align does have a good reputation among RC-pilots. If your budget can handle it, buy an Align 450. I think it doesn't really matter much which model you choose, or if it is flybarred or not, just that it's an Align-heli.

Building vs. RTF.
If you have some patience and a tad of technical insight - you're probably able to build the bird yourself. Plus, it's a learning experience, I should know ;) Besides, with the included instruction-manual and a build-video on the web, you're set! If you buy a RTF, it is strongly advised to check every screw, bolt and nut anyway, so you'll end up "building" it anyway. And a second thing; I see everywhere, everywhere I've been reading and searching, they all say the same thing: You're gonna crash sooner or later anyway, then you'll be glad you know how to take the bird apart.

Aaah, good to get this of my mind.
Much longer post than intended :monkey:

sterlingh

Thank you everybody who has responded throughout this whole thread. I deeply appreciated it and you make this new hobby of mine more interesting and more fun and for that I am very grateful.

Lee, thank you for the flybar explanation. I had read and your simple response confirmed for me what I thought from some reading I've done. Honestly, it almost makes me want to get one, but that leads me to a response from Stokke.
Stokke,
Thank you for your response,
yes, I suppose it's bad luck but looking on the bright side it's turning out pretty well for me. I really would like to be able to fly, even if it takes a while to 3-D fly. I'm not sure why, but it seems to get stronger every day, or with every little bit more research. You asked have I been able to fly my e razor yet, incredibly, the answer is no. As previously mentioned I have only been able to throttle it up a handful of times, and you know the rest. It looks like I ordered a tail servo the way that I wrote it up in this thread. What I really meant was at the time of writing , I was going to order 4 servos total, with some other electronics , and was referring to that. of course, as of this moment I have ordered nothing. I am doing as you have suggested quite a bitter research. From all the research so far, it would seem Align is by far the best choice. In this forum certainly it's by far the best choice.
I read somewhere, an owner of the DX6i complaining about no backlight. Suggesting it sounded like a minor deal, but really wishing he had one. I can see where that may be a problem, I also think I read something about a backlight kit but can't remember. in any case I do feel like I will be staying with this hobby, therefore a good TX will be imperative. So, regardless of my bird purchase I will get the D6XI.

You contrast RTF versus build. I would say I qualify as far as being mechanical, and technical, and in my old age the development of patients. When I was younger I used to say that patience is for doctors. lol not anymore. I have to admit though, I am more than mildly concerned about building from scratch. While I am convincing myself to do so, I am concerned about putting the main shaft together, blade holders etc. However I think it was Lee who pointed out, I can learn it now, or after my crash. That's a point that I cannot easily get around. Still, I have seen some combos that I am not interested in, that come with the frame, and the blades, tail blades and/or assembly, and main gear already put together. If I could find an Align like that I would probably get it. That way just install the electronics. However, I have not seen that yet. Although, I did find an RTF 450 Align. It was not just saying RTF, the read looked to be exactly that. I linked it on one of the other pages in this thread. Like you, I have made a long post here and guess I will stop. But I'm watching you and your build and wish you luck, and I will probably make a purchase by weeks end, most likely by Sunday for sure.

Thanks
Sterling H.

sterlingh

a search for GoNitro displays what they say was a member for 9 years. But now it says he is not a member and has no feedback.. To bad wanted to look at his stuff..

Top Bottom