450 Help with erazor 450

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I hit the wrong key on the keyboard. It's the 6210, I actually have one sitting here in front of me right now. Great Rx, never had an issue with it. I would have put it on my Align if the 3GX wasn't built in with the capabilities to handle just satellite receivers.

And you are correct, as long as the servos are working, we WILL, I REPEAT WILL get this helicopter setup with the DX6i. No worries there. Most everyone on this forum has or has owned this Tx and it's a great first computer radio. As stated before though, if I had the choice to do over again, I would have went for the 7, 7se, 7s or 8 just because of functionality. But I understand money is an issue too, and the 6i is the best bang for your buck you can get out there. You won't regret it.

sterlingh

Great Tony thanks for the assurance.

Looking at the site you sent me I am looking at the other items you mentioned. Man I know its a lot but can you tell me what you think with what I picked?

Dial Pitch Gauge: All 450, 500, 600, 700 by Align Corporation Limited (AGNK10390A1http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-AGNK10390A1 $20.99

Swash Leveling Tool: B450 by BLADE (BLH1690A http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-BLH1690A $8.99

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/20c-11-1v-2100mah-3s-lipo-battery-ec3-VNR1577 battery 2100Mah
mine is 2200 all else same? $19.99

looks like free shipping so this would be nice... plus the TX and RX you linked me to. If you say yes I get tonight or 1st thing in morning. If you have any of this for sale let me know....

If I am leaving out something that should be a MUST let me know.. I know I am asking a lot buuuuut....

Dayumm wife wants dinner somewhere... man I tell you ummmmmmm nvrd mind..

As usual thanks, your help is invaluable..

Tony

Staff member
That is a lot of money for a non digital pitch gauge. I would go with this one...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/micro-mini-helicopter-pitch-gauge-EFLH1000

The swash tool is out of stock and I have never seen that one before. Below is one like I would use.
T-Rex 450 / V2 / Blade 400 Swashplate Leveler

While you are there, get these batteries...
Sky Lipo 2200mAh 11.1V 30C

If you order over $50 from hobbypartz you also get free shipping.

Not on your list, but here are some servos and a gyro that I suggest for your heli.

Servos, Get 4--> Solar Servo D650 0.11@4.8v Digital 11g
Gyro------------> Detrum GY48V headklock gyro for 3D Helicopters

The gyro is not the best in the world, but it's better than the 192 you have now. The servos are digital and metal gear. Trust me, if you don't want to fork out the money for Align digital servos, these are the next best. I'm putting these on my Telemaster. And that plane is my baby. Been building it for over a year. I'm not going to put something in it that will fail.

Hope this helps.

sterlingh

Yeppie! couple of things to my new found friend (s). I got pitch, yup, seems like after messing with dip9 then throttle not doing anything, I flipped my safety switch forward then back, and while the blades cant turn because only one motor wire plugged in, the pitch does Pitch. Can't believe it because I thought I did that already. Spooky bird and self healing no doubt.

The leveler you linked is now also out of stock. One has a hard time finding one of the cheap ones. Not sure what to do there. I looked at all you linked for me, and decided I do need/want what you posted. Turns out I have an horizon brick and mortar close by. I called this morning he has my radio but does not open till 10 and could not give me a price. I will call back and if he can match the same deal, I will go buy from him. I doubt he can but I will also check to see if he has the same servos and gryo. Again I doubt he can but thought I would check anyway. I am going for everything you suggested Tony. Exactly as is and have the cart ready to check out. After talking to the store after 10 I will order. I also ordered some tools to go with it. I am very excited about this and cant wait to get started... In the mean time I think I will take bigbird to the garage, and spin er up...

EDIT before post.

I think I had pitch all along. Just it was set so minimum that it was not moving. Now I have to try to tame this bad boy down sum..

sterlingh

Another edit.

Good call on the servos Tony. All i did was want to spin er up and noticed that I had no tail movement. Tail servo is locked up, froze up, or what ever you call it when these little Bturds dont move.. Oh well new on de way..

Tony

Staff member
jthe swash leveler is not a necessity, but it sure makes life easier. You can do the same thing with a zip tie around the main shaft as stated before. The servos are not the greatest in the world, but they are a far leap better than those crap servos that the heli comes with. You will hear a lot of buzzing out of them though since they are digital. The gyro I have used and it's what I started with. I actually have one in my box. It's not the best, but again it's better than what you have now. Teh battery will be better than the one you have now as well. That dynam pack will puff after a while, trust me.

Again, everything I posted was in regards to you not having the want or money for the "good stuff". If you want good stuff I can post up some links.

sterlingh

Yes I understand your logic in the recommends you make.Its hard to just be getting started and want to go pay for the best in everything. I have seen some of the prices for align servos and that would be hard to buy even with unlimited supply of funds, which of course I dont have.Once I get going and see for my self the failures of these electronics I may want to buy something I think will hold up better. I am ok with trial and error here. I looked at other heli's and bought this one because of price. I could have gotten a more expensive one, but again just starting out and not knowing if I will even like it or not just seemed liked the best choice. That being said, I am a bit surprised that my heli is sold as RTF, and I have had the problems that I have had. I read some people with this bird saying that its a good one, and showed no problems like I have had.Honestly, even now to do over I may do exactly the same way.

Of course knowledge about the hobby like you have dictates that one should buy the best. Its something that works for everybody I think. One of the reasons I like this forum so much is because no one trashed my heli, which is the same as trashing my decision to buy what I think works for me. Honestly until I am sure of this hobby (mostly am) I would much rather fix a cheepie than the expensive ones. Plus learning on a harder slower responsive heli will be that much sweeter when I go with more quality. So again, yes I understand why you are recommending the way you are and I appreciate it.

Tony

Staff member
Oh trust me, I could trash on that heli a LOT lol. I used to own it until I gave it away to my admin (paulster2) and now he has even moved up to the HK450GT to get away from it. Like you will prolly do, he is using all of the dynam electronics in it. It's a decent heli to start out with, and yes for the price, it's great. But once you get a new Tx, new servos and new gyro, it will wake up. Then once you crash and you realize your parts that you can only order from one place are out of stock, you will start thinking about the align clones. I really hope you start thinking about Align and not the clones, but yeah lol. You know where i'm coming from in all of this. I have been there, I have had my heli trashed (yes, my Razor) and I have been bashed for asking a simple question. Now you know why Rc-Help is what it is.

Everyone didn't know anything until they did. That's why Rc-Help is here to stay.

Lee

Hi Sterling,
Glad you found the pitch settings.
This may be out of your price range, but i have two of these gyros for sale if they are of any use to you.
For Sale: GT9 Mems Gyro.
Let me know.

sterlingh

Tonu, yes I agree RC-Help is here to stay, and thats a good thing...

Lee Thanks but I think i will stick with the less expensive for now..

- - - Updated - - -

humm wondering, If I was to look in a hk 450 pro, what would I be doing? Taking my new servos new Gryo, tx, rx, and put that on the frame of a hk 450? is that a dumb question? I only ask because it looks like that cabn be had (frame for about $50.00). However if I did do that wouldn't I have what I have now only on a new frame? lol Guess I am cornfused..

murankar

Staff member
If you are changing out all the electronics in the heli, then most if not all of them will transfer over to the new model. Most of the 9g sevos are standard size and the tail servo is a standard 26g servo. On the Trex 450 pro clones the tail servo mount is made for a 26g servo, so if your tail is a 9g now you may/will want to get a 26g servo unless Tony made the adapter plate for his EXI 450 TT model and is willing to part with it. One other thing you may be able to get away with on the tail is using the boom mounted servo. This is found on the trex sport clones. This will allow you to mount a 9g servo without major modifications.

If you are concidering the HK 450 pro/gt I would look at all other options befor ordering from Hobbyking. There are many options that might be better than the HK models. Just take your time and ensure you find the right model. No two models are created equal.

Tony

Staff member
If you are changing out all the electronics in the heli, then most if not all of them will transfer over to the new model. Most of the 9g sevos are standard size and the tail servo is a standard 26g servo. On the Trex 450 pro clones the tail servo mount is made for a 26g servo, so if your tail is a 9g now you may/will want to get a 26g servo unless Tony made the adapter plate for his EXI 450 TT model and is willing to part with it. One other thing you may be able to get away with on the tail is using the boom mounted servo. This is found on the trex sport clones. This will allow you to mount a 9g servo without major modifications.

If you are concidering the HK 450 pro/gt I would look at all other options befor ordering from Hobbyking. There are many options that might be better than the HK models. Just take your time and ensure you find the right model. No two models are created equal.

Actually the 26g is a mini servo, the 9g is a micro. Just wanted to clear that up. The 600+ use a standard size servo.

As for the adapter plate for the 9g on the pro tail, that one went to Madrat I think when he purchased the Pro clone.

I highly suggest NOT ordering a clone as I stated before. But I think I have been over the reasons enough lately lol.

sterlingh

Well I have been looking all over the place, and the one big question i have is the tail servo. As I said earlier mine just burnt up. I noticed a lot of talk about tail servos and noticed that I am ordering 4 servos and nothing that says I getting something different for the tail servo. So while it may have been said I am wondering what should I do for the tail servo. Tony you said to get 4 servos.Should I stay with that?

Also I was looking at Tony's write up on the cheap build and wondered why I dont do that and still get the DXI6? It may be more than I want to do right now (build that is), so then I would ask if the main reason for not having this bird (erzor450) is about parts supply or lack there of, then what am I putting on there with my new order? New servos, Gyro, rx and tx, they will be all over the place right? So before I get you to confused, I may not want to build a new heli just yet when I do have this e razor 450 and will be replacing the listed above parts. But I will build the new one if this bird is that bad.

On the sim, I was looking at clearview as suggested in the flight school on this site. Of course my bird is not on there but neither does FMS that I am now using. Would you still suggest getting it and will my TX work that I got for the FMS, usb plug in?

Thanks
Sterling H.

Tony

Staff member
Sterling, this is my opinion and take from it what you will. The Razor is very limited. In the USA, there is only one company that sells parts for your heli, this is strike 1. If you land too hard, because the metal is not hardened in the feathering shaft, it will bend, this is strike 2. The head and tail doesn't quite fit together like it should and provides slop, this is strike 3. As you can see, there are no upgrades that you can do to this heli. You just like what you have and that is that.

Now as for my cheapest build, although you can get into ccpm helis for about $200, I'm here to tell you, that is not the way. I'm really thinking about deleting both of those articles because of the safety factor involved in using such cheap components. If you want to do this however, get the HK450GT. Not the Pro, just the GT. It should be about $46 from the USA warehouse. This was the best clone I have ever owned.

The Tx in that guide is crap, but it's cheap. I still HIGHLY suggest the DX6i.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make, we are here to help you no matter what. But spend a little more money now and be a lot happier later.

sterlingh

Ok I want to be clear.. If I was to go with thew hk450gt, I can put the new electronics on it that you recommended higher up in this thread? That way a crash may be a little easier on me because its the hk450gt? Then if I did need parts I can find them all over the place?Thinking about it its probably a little easier to build MAYBE because there wont be any old electronics to remove?

Ok I know I asking a lot, but I am only trying to understand to make the correct decision. For the hk450gt would my motor fit into it.

I guess I will re-look at everything again... If I am reading it right, the hk450gt is just barley better. Could hold up in a crash a little better than the razor450 and I could find parts easier for it?

Taking my headache and looking online. Happy I have not ordered anything yet. One thing I think I will do either way is get the dx6i..

Thanks all you really are fly savers

Tony

Staff member
As far as clones go, the HK450GT is about the best you can get. It was my first clone and I didn't have to replace anything on it until I crashed it. And when I crash, it's all replaced with Align. This is a flybared heli, so it will keep the cost down. Just make sure to order it from the USA warehouse and not the china warehouse.

Everything electronic on your heli now will fit this heli, as far as size goes, they are the same. The electronics I suggested will also work on the heli as well.

I forgot to answer one of your questions a few posts up about the tail servo. The servos I suggested will work on the tail (hence why I said get 4) but if you want rock solid and get a jump on a good tail, get the Align DS520. It's about $50 but it's perfect for that heli. And when you upgrade to a Pro version, it will fit in that holder unlike the 9g. If you decide to get a 26g servo for the tail, then you will only need 3 of the 9g servos.

If you want a step by step guide, I have a full build guide on the HK450GT. Like I said, it's the best heli I have had before my Align. The video below is the whole guide in a playlist. There is a total of 6 videos in there. This will show you everything you will have to go though to set this heli up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL051C39CC09C6FAEB&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lee

I just sold my original HK450GT today for the second time. My friend that bought it from me last year, has decided he hasn't the time to fly. So i bought it back from him and sold it to another friend :) Shame your over the pond Sterling or it could have been yours. Sold for $120 Plug and fly with 3 batteries and charger.
I have had two of them, and both were perfect, no issues at all, other than a carbon boom that i put on it causing horrible vibrations. If you check my youtube channel, i have many flight videos with this heli.

Top Bottom