450 Help with erazor 450

sterlingh

This is my first post in this forum. I have an E razor 450. I have had it about a month or so and have never flown it. I have checked it to see how things work with my remote control. I have spun it up about four or five times. I have not had it in the air or crash into anything whatsoever. I went to spool it up one day a couple weeks or so ago and it would not spin. The main gear would spin but not the blades. The belt was not broken and I really did not know what was the matter. In another form I posted my problem and was told to check all the screws, as RTF does not really mean ready to fly. I watched a YouTube on replacing the main gear. When I started replacing it I noticed the main gear center mounts three little screws were loose. I thought fantastic this is my problem. For reasons that would take too long to explain I will just say I ordered and got some new parts.

I got a new main gear center mount, and new main gear set. I reinstalled it all and put it back together and went to spool it up. The blades rotated in a counterclockwise direction. I am a newbie to all of this, and checking a YouTube video on my helicopter noticed that the rotation should be clockwise. I reversed the motor leads, and somehow, and this is my problem, my maingear just spends freely not turning the rotation gear, thus not spending my blades. Just as it was originally, that caused me to start working on it I have checked and checked and do not believe I've left out anything. Looking at the exploded view of my helicopter I verify even further(at least to myself) that I have not left a part out. Plus remember it did this before I even started working on it. Would anybody have any ideas whatsoever, to help me out?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

Tony

Staff member
Another Steve? lmao. Welcome to the forum.

I have had this helicopter and I know the issues that arise from it. To me it sounds like the one way bearing is in upside down or backwards. You are correct that the main blades should spin clockwise when looking at it from the top. Let me know if the one way was the answer. If not, take some pics of the heli and post a video if you can of the issue. We will do our best to get you in the air.

Lee

+1 on what Tony said. One way bearing was my thoughts. It could just be damaged. Hold the main gear while turning the head. You should be able to spin the blades freely CW while holding the gear still. CCW the head main shaft should bite into the one way bearing and grip the gear. If you can turn it that way and hold the gear still, then the bearing is shot.

sterlingh

Thanks for the replys. I did post on utube two vids. I think you guys are correct, and thats its the bearing. I ordered and installed the new center mount and that has a new one way bearing in it. So I really dont know whats up. BTW: to be upfront here, i have been looking for anwsers in another forum and posted the vids there as well. It starting to look like a head scratcher.. Thanks for the help..
[video] http://youtu.be/vVlovYlbPuI[/video]

http://youtu.be/5FmYrNMvrsU

Tony

Staff member
Can you take the main gear back out and see if you can flip the one way over? If you look in the manual on the exploded view, it's part #50. According to the picture it looks as if you can flip this thing over and it will still work.

Another question. Did you put any grease on the bearing?

Lee

Almost 100% sure now with the video. You bearing is either damaged or upside down. So as Tony said flip the bearing over. Not sure from the manual, but maybe you can just unscrew the centre plate and flip that in the main gear if its symmetrical.

sterlingh

Hal Au lou Ah

It would seem I had the main gear set installed improperly though it's not all put back together yet. However I can turn the rotorhead in the clockwise direction, tail blade moves as well as does the main gear wheel. Also the main gear will will easily by finger movement rotate in the opposite direction. In other words exactly opposite of what I had. Here is what I did to fix the problem. I am very sorry to say this for anybody coming behind me, but I don't know what I did to fix this. Thank goodness people in this forum will HELP!

I do know what was suggested, and it made perfect sense to me that the bearing somehow was in backwards. Or perhaps the bearing was bad. Remember, after just a few spool ups,with this brand new heli, this started happening to me. Where the main gear when I throttled up would be the only thing that moved. (Except for swash plate stuff). So if the bearing was reversed or bad, then it seems to me like when I purchased a new center mount the problem would have been fixed. Because the bearing, of course comes inserted in the main care center mount. I did not take it out or anything like that. I just reinstalled (at least so I thought) exactly the way I saw on the YouTube video, to replace maingear on the E razor 450. After reading the comments about reversed or bad bearing, I put it back together once more, that is the center gear mount on to the maingear and then the rotation gear and I could tell the movement was proper.

However it is binding somewhat. It's like perhaps the belt is too tight or something. I can turn the rotorhead but I sense it's too hard to turn. So I have stopped at this point, where I'm not completely back together, to get advice. Could someone please direct me to or explain to me how to loosen my belt properly. Then, by the grace of the flying gods I may be back in business. Even though I cannot fly. :)

PS. This will always remain a mystery to me. If I had worked on something else and this was a new issue I could see my mistake. But because my main wheel initially spun freely without turning the blades, then repeated itself after new parts, is a real head scratcher for me. That's unfortunate because I don't feel like I learned what happened. Although, on the bright side, I can change a maingear, lol that is if I can get my belt adjusted. I want to thank you guys for your response. Very refreshing and nice to know that you can get some help here.

Thanks again

Sterling H ^

murankar

Staff member
usually to loosen the belt you would slide the tail boom into the front tail block. It will not take much to loosen it so be careful as to how much you slide it in. The belt should reach about mid point when pushed in with an object small enough to reach inside. I use a small cross tip screwdriver to push on the belt. Once I hit the point where I need force to move it I stop. That point should be about half way to the other side of the belt. Hope this helps.

Lee

Well glad it was fixed. Maybe the roller bearings were stuck open and not gripping the shaft, then it just released and started working. The belt, as Murankar said. :D

Tony

Staff member
Actually when you spin the head clockwise the head should free spin from the main gear. Have a look at the video below to see my t-rex. If the video doesn't start at 1:25, then skip to that time.

[video=youtube_share;2fc_QUbbS-I]http://youtu.be/2fc_QUbbS-I?t=1m25s[/video]

sterlingh

Thanks Lee, I am going to put the link to the latest vid with it running without blades. I have not yet loosened the belt yet. Does not sound to good to me but was wondering what any one else thought.. I am just putting the link to utube here and hope it gets in. Since I am a newbe here I dont think I can post with links yet..

[video=youtube_share;vQyCWGdOk_4]http://youtu.be/vQyCWGdOk_4 [/video]

Sterling H

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony, did not see your post until after I posted my last vid.. In any case my heli will not come close to spinning like the one in the vid. I guess i need to loosen the belt some. Guess I can figure it out though I wish there was a vid or write up on it.. Thanks again Tony. The help in this forum is great.

Tony

Staff member
It looks like your motor pinion is on upside down. And to loosen the belt, you just loosen up the tail block and slide it forward, but I don't think that is the issue here. And you are right, yours won't spin as free as mine seeing as mine is a torque tube and not a belt, but it should be close. Make sure to check your gear mesh as well after you flip that pinion.

Lee

Wow something is way too tight. Have you checked the pinion to main gear mesh? There should be a slight gap between the pinion and the main gear teeth, enough to allow some movement side to side.

sterlingh

Tony
My motor pinion is upside down? I dont understand how that could have happened unless I got it that way... Honestly though i dont see how its up side down. The motor pinion is the motor gear right? The brass looking gear connected to the motor? I have loosened the belt some. It seems a little smoother(not much) but that high pitch is still there. Can you please explain a little more on the pinion upside down?

Lee, good point. This time I did not use the paper trick to do it because I was concerned about how my main gear was moving. I will fix that now..

- - - Updated - - -

Dont see how to edit but a quick add to my last post... If I spin by hand my flybar, with it spins my rotation gear, and tail blade, but NOT my main gear, or motor pinion. Is that correct? If I by hand turn my main gear my rotation gear, flybar and tail and pinion gear all spin. is that a problem too?

sterlingh

Lee,
Thanks thats very good news for me.. I just trying to get it going and its nice to hear that its correct.. going to spin it up again as i just adjusted the pinion..

Thanks again..

sterlingh

Ok here is latest vid. I loosened the belt and re-adjusted the motor pinion. It does feel a little smoother to me but that loud screem is still there. Would you guys take a look and tell me if we are getting any closer?

[video] [/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That is about the normal sound of the erazor lol. And so is the warped gear. Everything sounds about right. Just make sure you tilt that swash forward before you try to take off with that thing, it's facing way too far back. If you need to know how do set this heli up, I have a video but it's on the DX6i.

Top Bottom