450 Help with erazor 450

stokke

Man I hate this but what do you mean servo horn?

On the servo, there is a plastic arm mounted.
This arm is referred to as a "servo horn".
On the plastic arm there is a metal ball with a link attached, this link connects to your rudder pitch slider.

servo%20horns.jpg

servos%20w%20horns.jpg

sterlingh

Wow Marius.
Thank you for that. Its embarrassing to have to ask that kind of question but you went all out, and I really appreciate that. Yes I will make a video.

Last edited by a moderator:

stokke

Well I see your problem!
Not sure if I know how to fix it though.

When your servo arm is center (that's center stick on your left stick), it's pointing towards the main rotor.
The way it is supposed to work is that when you go back to center, the arm is supposed to be pointing 90 degrees of the tail.

So if it were working correctly, the arm would swing right towards the tail, left towards the front, and center would be the arm sticking right out of the tail.

Please wait one second and there will be illustrations!

- - - Updated - - -

servo_trouble.jpg

By the way!
There are no stupid questions!!

Lee

Thats what we call servo creep. First lets make sure everything is mechanically correct. Plug the rudder servo straight into the RX rudder port, bypassing the gyro all together. Now check that the servo arm (horn) is 90º to the tail boom as Marius illustrated without using any trim. You can unscrew the arm and replace it as close to 90º as you can. That is then mechanically set up.
Now the hard part. With a computer radio you can dial out that creeping with rudder subtrim in the menu, but yours isn't a computer radio??? So i will need to do some research to figure this out. I'll get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it should be ok. Just try to spool it up and adjust if necessary with the rudder trim tab on the front of your radio. Heres some light reading for you.

Gyro creep is a problem that generally occurs in cheaper heading hold gyros, although it can occur in more expensive models, especially if the transmitter is not set up properly. It is characterized by the tail rotor pitch servo creeping slowly to one end of its travel while the helicopter is left motionless on the bench, or the helicopter rotating slowly when in the air, even though no rudder inputs are made.
The cause is one of two things:
The gyro may sense that it is actually rotating and try to apply a corrective action, even though it is actually stationary. It may think it is actually rotating because the sensor has poor temperature compensation (the sensors warm up in use), or possibly the helicopter was moved during the gyro's initialization phase or the gyro's calibration has been otherwise disturbed.
The signal the gyro receives from the transmitter is not what it expects when the rudder control is left centered. This may be due to gyro misconfiguration, or due to trim, subtrim or revolution mix being used on the transmitter.
With cheaper gyros, such as the Align RCE500, the only available corrective action is to wait for the gyro to warm up to operating temperature, and then apply sufficient trim or subtrim to stop the gyro creeping. More expensive gyros usually read the rudder neutral signal when the power is first applied, and power cycling should cure the problem.

Note:
If the nose only creeps in the air, then chances are the gyro is subject to too much vibration, or the mechanical tail setup is not good enough. This is true especially if the tail holds well in rate mode, but not in heading hold mode.
If the helicopter spins rapidly, the the gyro sense is wrong.

I thing this is you
If the tail servo appears to 'stick' to one end of travel or the other only when the helicopter is turned by hand or rudder control is used when the helicopter is on the bench, then your heading hold gyro is working correctly.

Last edited:

sterlingh

Ok gentlemen you have giving me stuff to look at and I will get back to you on how this works out.

BTW just looked on the front porch and I have me new sport. Have not even opened the travel box yet. YEPPIE!

sterlingh

As life would have it. I have to stop for tonight. I have done something I should have done already. Its going to be a teachable moment. I have cut all tie wraps and followed my wires back to the servos, bec and gyro. Looking at the manual at how they posta be. Then I will move servo arm (horn?) and see what I have. This will be good soon as I can pick it back up in the morning.

Tony

Staff member
We must have detailed pics of the box opening lol. I'm sure you already opened it though lmao.

Tony

Staff member
OOOOOORRRRRRRR, you can both come up here, grab Gabster on the way and we can all build it and fly :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
seems to be a pattern hahaha. Hopefully this pattern will change soon, and I will have more toys than all of you combined on here lmao. And I still won't get to fly them :lmao:

Tony

Staff member
I am a trained Private Investigator, and you are Military trained, we can do a covert extraction if we have to :biggrin1:

sterlingh

Ok, Man I have to wait to tomorrow to get on all this. Ok on pics for the box opening. Man I just ordered this late Friday morning. Yes this last Friday.. Oh well my dx6i will be here Wednesday. With as many questions I will have on this you may wish I did send it to you. This is very gooood day..

Thanks all of you...

stokke

Ok, Man I have to wait to tomorrow to get on all this. Ok on pics for the box opening. Man I just ordered this late Friday morning. Yes this last Friday.. Oh well my dx6i will be here Wednesday. With as many questions I will have on this you may wish I did send it to you. This is very gooood day..

Thanks all of you...

I'm getting excited!!!

LOL. Tony getting burned :D

Tony

Staff member
Lol I got ya now. It's late and I'm about to get off work and not quite as fast as usual lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Top Bottom