450 Help with erazor 450

sterlingh

Gentlemen,

I can't tell you how encouraged I am with your words. I thought as well it sounded and reacted a lot better. But really needed to know for sure from you guys.

Tony, special thanks to you. I did not know you owned the joint, when I PM'ed you. Only after you got my post, posted did I start looking around. It's very impressive to me that all you got going, you still found some time to help me out. Not likely there is much I could do for you, but if there is, you will please let me know. Also you mentioned I need to set my helicopter up for flying. I have not been able to get to that point yet. Remember all I have been able to do is throttle this helicopter up a handful of times. Then I got this problem that we have been working on. I do have a sim that I bought with my E razor. The RC- TECH. Nothing fancy on the graphics but supposedly it's pretty good. I have spent quite a bit of time on it but still not that good I'm afraid. I will spool up my E razor some more, but soon I hope to give it a shot in the air .I have found a couple of sites on how to set up my transmitter and other relevant information for flight.

also big thanks to you Lee and Murankar, lots of help and I appreciate it.

Sterling H

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I'm the owner of the forum. Okay in reality I'm just the guy everyone complains to when something goes wrong hahaha. My favorite quote "Nobody knows what I do until I don't do it". haha. I have a lot of fun with this forum and that is what it's all about. As for finding the time to help you out, that is what I"m here for. On Rc-Help it's all about helping people out one on one and getting them to love the hobby. As for helping me out, just being a member here is enough. Make sure to tell your friends about us.

If there is ever anything we can do to help, all you have to do is ask and we will do our best.

sterlingh

Very good Tony.... thanks.

I know what you mean about not doing what you do then being found out as to what you do... :)

Now I am going to look on this forum where to post for getting opinions on what heli I should get for my level. Get some prices etc. Not looking to spend a whole lot. Maybe $150.00 to $200.00

Thanks Again
Sterling H

Tony

Staff member
You can use the electronics from your razor and put them on an Align helicopter. However, I would highly suggest (if that is all the spare cash you have) getting a better Tx before you upgrade your helicopter. I'm running the DX8 and I would never go back. should have purchased this in teh beginning. But the DX6i is cheaper and works great as your first computer Tx. My .02

sterlingh

Just so I am understanding you. If it was you , a new TX is what you would upgrade? I will look up the dx6i here shortly but does it have the LCD screen on it? Does that allow one to set up the ESC in a way that mine does not? Also if I was to put my electronics on a align wouldn't I have still have an e razor? Guess what I am asking is that I have heard that its the electronics on the erazor that makes it bad, would you agree with that? See I have a long fun way to go...

Tony

Staff member
Think of the electronics and the actual helicopter as two separate entities working together. You need good electronics, but you also need a good helicopter. It's like a chain, the weakest link will cause catastrophic failure across the whole board. The reason I say get the Tx first is the resolution of the DX6i is double that of the Tx you are using now. And the DX7s and the DX8 are even better than the DX6i. The DX6i does have an LCD screen, you can save up to 10 models in it and yes, you can adjust throttle and pitch curves. I have a number of videos on this subject including how to set the DX6i up with the E-Razor. Below is the full video.

After you get your Tx, then you are ready to upgrade the helicopter. I'm done with China crap and will only suggest higher end helicopters from now on since I almost lost an eye with a china heli coming apart on the ground. Align is actually one of the lower end heli's but is still of great quality. I own the Pro v2 and I love it. I'm stuck on Align from now on. With a good heli, you will be able to have the smoothness you are looking for, unlike the razor which is not that precise. Also, when you get an Align heli, replacement parts are all over the world, erazor is only in one location that I know of. Not good.

Then comes the electronics. These you can buy in batches. I would start with the gyro and servos. A good gyro and tail servo will do more to help you learn how to fly than any other component on teh heli. I'm running the 3GX gyro, but for a flybar heli, the GP-790 is perfect when paired with the DS-520 coreless digital servo. Then you will want to upgrade the cyclic servos. I'm running the DS410's on my heli and they work great. Finally you will upgrade the motor and ESC. The Dynam motor has good power, so my first purchase in this field would be the ESC. You have not seen a soft start until you get ahold of a good ESC made for helicopters. And finally the motor and you will have a complete Align helicopter.

IMO, I would purchase the Tx and set it up on the razor. Save up your money and get a Super Combo that will come with all of the electronics with it. It will run you about $350 or so for the Sport v2. Since you are just starting out, make sure to get one with a belt tail and not a torque tube tail. Then once you pair your new Tx with your new heli, it will be like flying a kite since the setup will be dead on.

If you have the money, get the DX7s or DX8 first. However, I think Horizon is still running the sale on the DX6i where you get two free Rx's with it. It's a great deal and it's also the deal I got with my dX8. Let me know if I missed anything.

sterlingh

Wow that is a lot to look at. Thanks Tony. I did not see the vid below you mentioned but sure its on the site somewhere. I will give a lot of thought to what you said..

Thanks again

Sterling H.

sterlingh

lol thanks. I am getting ready to post a vid I just made spooling this baby up. Now I get to start learning how to set this bad boy up. Remember I will say hopefully for the last time. I got this, and for a couple of days I only throttled it up about 4 times. I was just seeing what worked etc. On the 5th time I got my problem and all I been doing since then is learning to fix it. I thought by now I would have it set up and trying some maneuvers. So I think I'll watch your video and start learning the proper set up for this helicopter. You could tell by the vid I'm waiting to upload, or let me say even I can tell it does not seem right. While videoing it with my phone camera, I would say right stick up, right stick down, etc and I'm hoping that's visible and audible. Just in case anybody wants to advise. Man, what a rush just powering it up!

Thanks again

Sterling H.

Tony

Staff member
You should know by now, if you post it I will give my opinion. to help set your swash, you can take the head off of the main shaft, leaving the swash and use a ziptie to help you level out your swash plate. This is what I did on the 450 Pro of mine. Works great although the swash tool is best.

sterlingh

Tony,
Yes I can see you are very helpful. I only hope I am not asking to much. Never been very good at that. Anyway here is my vid. I dont think you can tell much , but you can see your help and the others here results that came about. I am very happy with this heli for the moment.. Have a look.

http://youtu.be/xZv2V3MQ-80
Pay no mind to my accidental injection of my self into this vid. I am completely new to recording in my garage..

Sterling H.

Tony

Staff member
Do me a favor and unplug two of your motor wires and do this exact same thing but closer to the swash. I think you have some things backwards but couldn't really tell with the video. And never think you are asking too much, that's what we are here for.

sterlingh

I hope this will work, if not I will make another. I made two but it was taking to long to upload so I made a shorter one,but it should show you what you are looking for. Thanks

[video] [/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Try again

[video=youtube_share;zUhhE1XpqSg]http://youtu.be/zUhhE1XpqSg[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The servo on the right if you are looking at it from the rear is not moving, and you had no pitch adjustment when you moved the throttle up and down. Find out why that one servo is not working correctly before you try to fly it..

Also the elevator is reversed. Not sure on how to reverse it in your Tx, but I can tell you exactly how to do it in a Spektrum Tx. Looks like the aileron is also reversed if you get that one servo moving correctly.

sterlingh

Man this last one kinda took the air out of me. I have some leisure time but not this much. lol Anyway I am posting another vid, same way. This time the servo that was not working is now.The dip switchers were not exactly correct. I have them set up acording to one who has a site on it. Review of the Dynam E Razor 450 by mycoolheli.com

So i was ready to Email or call Xheli.com where I bought this thing and see what they will do. Might still do it as this was sold RTF. I knew I had a big learning curve, but this is maybe to much. All thats left is for me to know if everything is still backwards, and if there is any idea how to get the throttle pitch in there. It seems like everything might be ok, just set up wrong when they sent it to me. Even the motor leads were red on red bl on bl and bk on bk when I got it. However I have to reverse them after gear replacement. A little more than I thought I would have to do when I bought it.

So when you get a chance can you take another look and other than the servo that was not working and is now if anything else looks good? Any idea why I dont have pitch?

[video=youtube_share;vg8q0Que8uk]http://youtu.be/vg8q0Que8uk[/video]

Thanks a lot, I am trying not to get to discouraged but this is getting rough.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The link doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure yoru pitch issue has to do with one of the two dials on the Tx. I never could figure those out lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Looked at the link you just posted and it looks as if the swash is moving in the correct direction. Take the dials on the Tx and set them to the center position (50%) and see what that does. To set this up perfectly, you will need a pitch gauge though. Do you have one?

Lee

Hi guys, lots going on since my last visit. It does look like your swash is moving in the correct directions now. I think your pitch curve hasn't been set up.

Tony

Staff member
Lee, this is a Tx where you have to move dials to set the mid pitch and full pitch separately. We are spoiled on these computer radios lol.

sterlingh

Hot dayumm dogs.. OK I have to pick this up tomorrow, but you guys looking at it sure is helpful. I think we can get this right, now. I will work on it tomorrow and get back with you. Tony no I do not have a pitch gauge, but can get one. Man I sure am grateful to you guys for all this help.

Thanks

Sterling H.

Top Bottom