Projects Foamie Biplane!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Tony, you're going to make me do it... I'm actually going to LOL!

The bottom half of both wings are covered. And, since the thread would be worthless without it, here's another video!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
If it doesn't fly a knife edge, it won't be because of the rudder or motor, it will be because of the length of the fuse and not having much side force on the plane. Can't wait to see it. Is it built yet? hahha.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
It has been a haul, but the biplane is beginning to come together! Fuselage work begins in earnest right after fishing tomorrow, priorities you know...

Last edited by a moderator:

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Your comment "... hope this thing flies" got me thinking that I have been spending more time building than referring to my original design notes. To be honest I was pretty worried, especially when I finished building the landing gear module. It seemed awfully heavy. Anyway, I broke out the scale and tallied up the all up weight.

Electronics, incl. Battery: 226 grams
Landing Gear Module: 40 grams
Fuselage: 42 grams
Wings and Tail Module: 176 grams

Total All Up Weight: 494 grams

Add in about 10 grams for push rods, and misc small parts to get it in the breeze and I figure the weight to be somewhere aroung 504 grams!

One of my original posts in this thread was some details out of my design notes, quoted below:

Right now I'm thinking a wingspan of about 30", total length somewhere around 20-22", and I'm going to start calculating with a 400 sized motor, and 30 Amp ESC. I estimate final all up weight to be somewhere around 525 grams. We'll see where it goes from there.

The take-away is that after building the plane I am actually UNDER my design estimate! Since I already know the static thrust on my motor - battery - esc combo the power to weight ratio will be about 1.4 to 1. So, unless I totally hose the COG, or misalign the wings and tail feathers I'm pretty confident that it will fly quite nicely!!! :glee:

- - - Updated - - -

My girl just reminded me of something that I didn't account for here. Drag. The biplane does have more frontal area than my "First Foamie" project, and it also has wheels, so more drag... I have to assume that a 1.4 P2W ratio will overcome the additional drag compared to the "First Foamie" but I don't know...:uncomfortableness:

Tony

Staff member
lol, you will be fine. And she is correct on the drag. Now get this thing in the air! lmao.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Well, I cut a bunch of holes in the fuse I built. All that talk of doors in the "Telemaster Build" thread made me think that I could use one as well! I cut a side hatch, and will fashion a latch for it once the fuse is covered. I cut it so that it is removable since it is not very big. It should give me all the access I will need.

I have been wrestling with placement of the rudder and stabilizer servos. Inside, or outside the fuse.:topsy_turvy: I finally flipped a mental nickel and went for outside pushrods. In the end this is a machine, so a little mechanical stuff being visible is kind of cool to me. I will post some pics tomorrow after I cover the fuse.

I tried to post some earlier, but the upload page told me they were too big! (I haven't bothered to look in the help section for the max size and rez of a pic I can post yet...):black_eyed:

I am taking suggestions for the motor mount. I originally planned on covering it in the white monocoat, but now I'm thinking I want to paint it gloss black. Any ideas are welcome, and appreciated!

Steve in Sandy

Tony

Staff member
What were the file extension of the pictures and what was the file size? I may need to make some adjustments.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that is way too big for the forum. What I do before I upload any pictures to the forum is I use a program called PhotoScape. It will allow you to do a batch edit, set pictures to the size you want, adjust the picture settings and output them to a different folder and allows you to keep your origionals. Myself, I adjust the width to 800 and the height to 600 and I play around with the colors. Hope this helps.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Heh, you know I thought it said wierd! But you know, maybe it is wierd to put so much effort into this! :beguiled:

I have all of the fuselage work completed; so it is ready to cover. I will do that this evening as well. Here are some photos of the fuse before covering:

DSCF0526.jpgDSCF0527.jpgDSCF0529.jpgDSCF0530.jpgDSCF0531.jpgDSCF0532.jpgDSCF0536.jpgDSCF0537.jpgDSCF0538.jpgDSCF0540.jpgDSCF0543.jpgDSCF0547.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0527.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0531.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0536.jpg

DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0540.jpg

DSCF0543.jpg

DSCF0547.jpg