Projects Foamie Biplane!

Tony

Staff member
Dude, this thing is looking great. Can't wait to see it covered. More importantly, I can't wait to see it in the air lol. You done yet? :lmao:

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
The iron is heating up now... In the meantime I put the pics up on youtube as well - to keep the channel up to date...

Last edited by a moderator:

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! I think I am starting to get the hang of using this plastic coating stuff. I'm glad I decided to cover the project biplane. I would hate to have gone to all the effort to build a bulsa frame only to thuroghly hash it with the fabric. I know there are special considerations using monocoat over bulsa that I haven't dealt with yet (warping, twisting, etc.) but I am pretty confident now that I can account for that ging forward! :triumphant:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, you can over tighten it quite easily if you are not careful. And it will put a twist in the frame. But let me tell you, when you put a balsa kit in the air for the first time, you will be hooked. And if you scratch built that plane, even more so.

So when are you going to build a "REAL" plane? hahaha.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I need to finish this project before I can even think about it. Besides, if this biplane flies decently, I'll be up to three planes in flyable condition. Seems to me that I need some stick time before I get into another project!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I finished trimming the fuse today, and sorted out how to attach the hatch to the fuse using a magnet. Some of the photos are a bit blurry, but they show what I did as I did it. What is not shown is me adding a little dab of 5 minute epoxy to hold the piece of wood holding the magnet to the inside of the fuse.

It takes a bit of pull to get the hatch to break loose from the magnet. That and how the hatch is beveled into the fuse, along with the hole in the hatch that recieves the magnet, all should help to keep the hatch in place!

DSCF0561.jpgDSCF0562.jpgDSCF0563.jpgDSCF0564.jpgDSCF0565.jpgDSCF0566.jpgDSCF0567.jpgDSCF0568.jpgDSCF0569.jpgDSCF0570.jpgDSCF0571.jpgDSCF0572.jpgDSCF0573.jpg

DSCF0561.jpg

DSCF0562.jpg

DSCF0563.jpg

DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0566.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0572.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
After a "lost weekend" I am getting back to the biplane...

I installed the aileron servos into the lower wing. And, I think I'll install the motor as well later on. I need to pick up another pair of control horns which will allow me to complete the slave struts.

I also need to build an alignment jig out of foam board to insure that the wings are all parallel to each other as I finally glue them together with the fuse. The only major airframe piece that is not done yet is the support that runs from the fuse to the top wing. I have a few ideas, but haven't decided which one to try yet. Once I have that noodled out, final assembly can begin! Woo-Hoo, it's almost done!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I finally committed to a design for the cabane struts for the project. The cabane strut shown here is a simple mockup. The actual struts will be made from strips of light plywood, and painted black to match the wing struts.

The slave struts took me down another twisty road as I originally intended to use premanufactured control horns. That idea didn't pan out too well since the offset of the holes produced an eccentric effect where one aileron would move nearly twice as much as the other... The hinges are made by Great Planes; Part number GPMQ4001 "Pivot Point" hinges. The wood parts are bamboo bar-b-que skewers. I carved out about half the thickness of the bamboo to provide space for one half of the hinge and then wrapped them with nylon thread, finally soaking the thread with medium CA glue.

I'll start building the cabanes tonight. Once the paint drys I will begin final assembly! I am hoping to have everything assembled and tuned in time to make training night at the field for the maiden. If it ends up in a heap at least there will be pleanty of "crowd reaction" that way. We'll see how it goes!

Tony

Staff member
I'm not understanding why the control horns won't work. I guess I will have to do some tests and find out why. Either way, looks like you are making some good progress.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
The problem (I found by mocking it up) has to do with the offset of the pushrod holes on the control horn. That and the orientation I planned to use. When I saw the behaviour I was pretty blown away. Not what I was expecting. I'm just glad that I didn't punch holes in the ailerons and mount the horns before trying it out on the bench first!

Tony

Staff member
setting here thinking about it, I know exactly what it was doing. If you raise the ailerons, the bottom one will go forward and the top one will go backwards causing the rod to not stay straight and thus you lose angle. Nice catch and great fix.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
This project would be nowhere without mockups! I'll tell you what, I actually kind of hate to take the time to make them, but I almost always learn something new when I do.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Your mockups are a great idea! I'll have to try scratch building my own plans out of foam sometime! (flat 3D type foam planes make up most of my experience with foam) I can't wait to see that thing fly, good work :D

Top Bottom