Projects Foamie Biplane!

Tony

Staff member
That is looking really good. As for the V configuration, it can be done. It's hard to explain in text, but you will put the servo in teh center of the wing with two rods (one for each aileron) going to the ailerons. There will be an 1/8" wire that you will use to go from the center of the wing where the control rods attach out to the ailerons and bend them 90º to they help the ailerons not flex. Confused yet? I am and I'm typing this lmao. If you decide that you want the ultra clean look, let me konw and I will see if I can mock up something and shoot a quick video for you.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I apprieciate the offer! How about this instead, draw up a quick diagram and then photograph that and upload it. I think I can get the basic idea from something like that, rather than you having to go to all the trouble of mocking up, videoing, etc... Again, I do apprieciate that offer!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I Think this is what you were describing! It looks good to me anyway!

ControlRod.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to mock this up as soon as I find some appripriate (coat hangar) wire. Regarding where the bend meets the aileron I think a tube there for the "hook" to fit into would work out pretty well...

ControlRod.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is exactly what I mean. At least I think lol. Just make sure where it goes from the servo rod to the aileron is right on the pivot point of the aileron so there is no binding.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Maybe this is a bit clearer!

The tube is a rc car antenna support, the wire (a bit springy) is some thicker push rod wire, and the rest is in the vid!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That is perfect bro, exactly what I was talking about. Maybe move the blue straw closer to the aileron where the center of it is right on the hinge point, but yes, exactly what I was saying. This is the way they do it on a LOT of the P-51 planes that are small as well as a lot of others. Do it that way and you will have a very clean wing on this bipe.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I understand what you are saying. The video I took the screenshot from had it set up that way. The problem I saw was that he had the 90 degree bend that works the aileron glued to the aileron itself, and from there it ran down the hinge line. What I thought of was that since foamie hinges are not symmetrical, that the 90 degree bend part should be allowed to slip inside of another tube buried inside of the aileron. In the video you can barely see the bit of tube buried in the aileron itself. This provides the slippage needed in order for me to mount the runner tube inside the wing in front of the aileron! It works great - I sent you a thanks on it as well! :fox:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, got the thanks and thank you lol. Another thing you could do is actually glue the rod and the 90º part on the aileron to the aileron as close to the hinge as possible. Then there will be no need for the tubes. But if you are wanting to hide them completely, your way is the way to go. Now hurry up and get it in the air lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I took the day off from building today! But I did complete something useful. I have been exploring Google SketchUp off an on for a while now, so I decided to see if I could model a plane with it. The video is short, but shows the potential of this tool!

Tony

Staff member
That is some badass designing right there. I have never been good with that program. I guess because I have never really tried lmao. Now get back to building lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I actually talked the wife into going across town with me to Tammies Hobbies today. It is (I think) the largest LHS in town. I went a little crazy buying materials and such, but I am sure I have everything needed to complete the build now. Maybe even enough to make it better than I originally intended! The schedule is cleared for the next day and a half, so I'm going to finish this project. No promises on a maiden yet, but the weather is going to be really nice for the forseeable future, so it will be soon.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Here's an up to date on the build so far. It is starting to take shape. Note the air vent below the motor mount towards the end. The ESC will be mounted to the foam at the bottom of the nose with some hook and loop. This should provide pleanty of air to keep it cool.

Steve in Sandy

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
The airframe is built, and now on to covering the plane with Monocoat! Please be kind, I haven't done this before!

Oh, any tips would be appreciated!

Tony

Staff member
I have never heard of covering foam with monokote lol. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I'm pusing boundaries up here Tony!

I haven't heard of anyone doing it either, but I figure that it is good experience with the tools and techniques. I will be covering proper models before long, so why not start learning when the results are not as important!

Tony

Staff member
Those wrinkles on the curves, either cut relief cuts in them or use the heat gun with gloves and stretch the monokote. It will be quite smooth once you are done. It's a pain but can be done.

Top Bottom