Projects Foamie Biplane!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
The maiden has been moved up to tonight. About an hour or so from right now!!! Batteries are charging, the TX is set, all that has to happen now is for the winds to remain relatively light. So far so good :eagerness:

It's been 30 days coming, I just hope all my work has been worth it!

Tony

Staff member
Hm, two hours and still no update. This could be really really good, or really really bad lol. Hope everything goes well.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Well guys, the maiden is over. Please accept my apologies for not keeping you all posted, but I had something of an emergency come up.

As I said, we did the maiden tonight. The video kind of speaks for itself... :black_eyed:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Trial and error, that's the way these things work. Add a little nose weight, reset your DR's now that you know how responsive it is and try again. She did look very twitchy in the air though.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I was actually pretty amazed that it flew as well as it did. During the build, somewhere around the 4th or 5th video I mentioned that I had cut the wing too far back. That inch would have been pretty handy today! You're right of course, I will be adding a little weight to the nose, and modifying the TX settings to make it a little easier to control!

Even though I plan to wring this one out a bit more, I decided today to build another similar plane. I am going to actually draw up plans ahead of time, and scale it up by about 100%. I will be sticking with the KFm airfoil on the next one, and now that I know about where the parts should fit together, it should go together pretty quickly.

Oh, by the way I trashed my super cub today too :( but it's OK since I will be using the parts on another plane. I previously broke the tail off of the cub, and then glued it back together. I didn't think to remove the elevator control rod before glueing, and I actually glued the control rod to the foam. Last weekend I broke it free and it flew without any issues (that I noticed). Today I was pulling out of a bit of a steep dive, had just leveled off, but the control rod apparantly hung up, and I had no additional up elevator... I flew it full throttle into a tree! Fun stuff!

It was a good day!

Top Bottom