Projects Foamie Biplane!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Thanks! Even though they take time, they seem to save a lot of it too. Speaking of 3D foamies, I just added 8 feet of carbon to my material pile. (but that's another thread!).

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Final Assembly Begins!

Tail module has control horns installed and is mounted to the fuselage. The upper wing graphics are completed by trimming in quarter inch pinstrip tape, and the upper and lower wings are glued together. The rudder and elevator servos are installed. Rear control surface pushrods are fabricated and installed. (The pushrods will be cut to final length as part of the initial trimming of the control surfaces.)

All in all a good time was had at the bench tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Sure is coming along nicely. The curves on those wings looks smooth. Hope that Kfm4 works as good as it's supposed to. So who is going to maiden this? You or the other guy on the video whom I did see his face hahaha.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
That's my bud. He's ok with his face being shown. I'm pretty sure he's not a wanted felon or anything...

He will get it into the air to begin with. His responsibility is to get it aloft, and then get it trimmed and begin to get a sense of how it is setup for COG, weight dist, control surface sensativity, etc. He'll begin to wring it out. Once we get the thing subtrimmed we'll bring it down and make some fine adjustments.

Launch will be by hand to start with, and landing will be on the runway on its wheels. Once we get the fine trimming done, we'll launch again, and then I'm going to fly it for a while. Russ will then take over again to bring it down. I am obviously pretty confident that we can complete the initial flight plan, but then there is always the possibility of something horrible happening.

If all goes as planned and we get it documented that it flies (and get it down in one piece) the plane is going on display at the LHS for a while, and then who knows, maybe I'll sell it. I'm already looking forward to my next project!

Steve in Sandy

Tony

Staff member
Oh, you need to plaster some RCH decals on the side of that thing lmao. Sounds like a plan on what you stated above. What I meant by his face, in the first video you said he didn't want to be on video lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Exactly... At least I know you're paying attention! LOL

On the decals, that would be absolutely awesome. How do I get some? I would be happy to have a sponser sticker or two on it!

SGIS

Tony

Staff member
If you want them, just give me a size and color and I will get some sent out to you. You can send them in a PM to keep this thread cleaned up.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Well, As my tag line says: Engineering is the science of doing things over again!

Tony

Staff member
But if you do things over and over again hoping for a different outcome, it's called Insanity :chuckles:

murankar

Staff member
Flying video please! you should be close to being done. We have been waiting patiently and to get our flight video fix. on wait who am I to talk I have not done one in a few weeks myself. :lol:

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I finally was able to get back to the project... The majority of the build is complete. I still have to fit the slave and cabane struts, but other than that it is complete! Watch until the end to see a really cool finishing touch! (Thanks Tony)!

Tony

Staff member
Wow, it looks like those decals were meant to go on there. I think it looks great. Can't wait to see this plane in the air.

Top Bottom