450 Derek's Trex 450 Pro DFC

Derek

Ahhh, very cool! I have some good news. I just got confirmation that the CC ICE 50 esc has been shipped and I got a tracking number. Outstanding!!! I imagine that I'll have it by Friday, which is really good for me because I will be off work Friday-Sunday. YAY!!! I'm hoping to get it installed and programmed, via the Castle Link that I have, and hopefully get some flying done.

I am super excited!!!

Derek

Ok...Castle Ice 50 esc and CC 10 amp bec have arrived and are installed on the 450. Now...the CC BEC would plug into the "BATTERY" port (lower left corner) of the 3GX, yes?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is where it should plug in. I seem to remember something about it not working on some, but as long as your polarity is correct, you won't damage anything. ,

Derek

Well...I sure hope the bec will work with my 3GX. The servo lead, from the ESC to the rx has the 3 wires (like a servo lead...brown, red, and tan). The red wire was snipped. The guy that I bought it from was running the CC 10 amp BEC because he was running HV servos and he is a "smack" pilot. He said that it worked very well on his 450....I don't know what kind of flybarless unit he was using, so we'll see.

Tony

Staff member
Um, have you checked the red and black wire on the ESC for power? If you have power, then you will not need a BEC and you will save some weight.

Derek

The three wires that come from the esc to the rx.....the red wire has been unsoldered and snipped short. The guy I bought these from said that he enjoyed the helicopter performance with the 10 amp Castle BEC, rather than the ESC's internal 5amp BEC.

Now...we have another problem...I just turned on my DX8 and plugged in the battery to the 450. All the lights came on and the 3GX initialized. The servos move but no throttle. The helicopter will not spin up. Not good!

Slobberdog

Hey Derek are you following thier start up proceedure with this esc

Tx on and throttle at mid stick
Plug in heli
Lower throttle to 0 position

If it still don't arm you might need to lower your end point on throttle to get it to find 0 in the esc,

Give that a whirl if you already haven't and I hope you get it sorted soon,

Lee

Its a while since i set up a CC ESC, but if i remember correctly, there is a procedure with adjusting the end points until you here a series of beeps to find the high and low throttle.

Derek

I did a Google search on how to set the end points. Several videos that I watched said to lower the Throttle end points, in my DX8 to 0 and with the Throttle at high stick, slowly bring up the Throttle travel, waiting for a beep. So, I did that. Didn't hear a beep.

So...I need to walk away from this thing for a bit and I'll come back to it later. I just hope I can get this sorted out. The weather is gonna be beautiful today and I'm going to take some planes flying...I was hoping to take the 450.

here's to hoping!!!

Derek

I took my 450 out today for a try since the wind has finally calmed down and the rain has finally gone elsewhere. I took my video camera..turned it on...lifted the lens cover slide and pressed record. However, someone (me) neglected to charge the darn battery so it only recorded a few seconds of me talking and the initial spool up.

After the initial spool up, I began to raise the collective and the 450 starts to want to tip over. Now, because I was aware of this, I began to attempt to correct the tipping and giving more collective. Obviously the spool up was set "too soft". Ok, my fault. I plug the Castle Link into the laptop and set the initial spool up to 5. This should be better. I plug everything back in and spool up. It spools up faster, but still soft, very nice. It still wants to aggressively tip over. Can this be tamed a bit by turning down the gains on top of the 3GX or am I stuck with it and I just need to get use to this?

Tony

Staff member
Triple and quadruple check your correction directions. If it's wanting to be aggressive, then more than likely you have one of them reversed. We all have done it.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, you may want to turn down your cyclic gains then. Remind me, are you on 3.1 or 4.0? If 3.1, about half spool up, give a "pop" to the collective to get that thing off the ground.

Derek

my 3GX is on the 3.1 that you sent it to me with. The cyclic gains are at 50%. I turned them down to 50% because they were much higher when I got it. perhaps 50% is too much. I'll have to wait until next week to try again (work schedule) but I'll turn the little dials down a smidge and go from there.

Graham Lawrie

Tip over is an issue, but it will be something you have done in the set up:) I went through the set up several times before I got it right:)

Slobberdog

Derek make sure you have no tight wires Tony and Graham told me that servo wire wrap can transmit vibes to the gyro do you still have yours wrapped.

I put 2 layers of gyro tape on the gyro, this was a suggestion I had off someone, although my tip over was to do with me imputing travel adjust into my tx,

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

Its amazing how you forget things:) I am sure I had the same thing in one of my threads, but cant remember how I cured it:( I had that many issues with the 450 as it was my first proper heli:)

When all my other ones fail it is the one I turn to as I know it is reliable to get some air time with:)

Top Bottom