450 Derek's Trex 450 Pro DFC

Lee

Derek this is the best video i have found for programming the YEP/YGE
Part one
Part two

5 beeps is the error code for RX signal failure.
6 beeps is start up error.

Derek

Thanks for those videos, Lee! I found them last night while I was working on trying to progress. I'm pretty certain that I've done it correctly but since my 450 isn't spooling up, I've obviously done something "not" correctly. I haven't given up yet...just taking a break, lol

If setting up from the beginning I would!

Would I need to set the end points, via the transmitter, if I still set the high and low stick on the programming card?

Shoot I would do a factory reset on the esc and start over there also.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I have no idea how I would begin a "factory reset". Would you have any suggestions, Matthias?

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Just take the esc back to defaults. Unless there is a way to do a one button reset. I have only owned one esc that was not on par with products such as scorpion and castle. I dont think my Dynum esc had a way to factory reset but on my scorpion 45 amp esc the instruction card tells you what default is and I think the castle is the same way. I will have to check out the documentation to find out.

In the castle link there is a keyboard combination that rests all the settings back to default and then you resend the config to the esc.

I know you have a YEP with program card. I would think that the defaults should be identified with some kind of marking like an asterisk (*) or maybe a color code. Anyhow you would have to go and reset every option back and then start from square one.

Derek

I just checked the programming card for any identifiable marks for default and found nothing that stands out.

I'm still getting the 6 beeps. Lee says that 6 beeps indicates a start up error. How am I getting a "start up" error when I am doing this?

I turn on my DX8. Plug in the battery to the ESC. I see the 3GX intialize. Raise the throttle stick and get no turn of the motor. I go back to low stick and then it starts to beep at me. Bummer.

Derek

alright guys...you aren't going to believe this but the helicopter is spinning up, very softly and smoothly..no extra beeps and it seems to be performing, on the bench, correctly. I have absolutely, positively, no idea what I did differently...but it's working. I am completely blown away and confused, at the same time. Then, just out of curiosity, i've unplugged the battery and turn off my tx.....6 times.....and it still seems to be working correctly. I am at a complete loss for words as to why it is now working. I promise you, I really have no idea what I did differently. I went through the programming card 3 more times and now it's working. I guess the saying is true, "Third time is the charm."

All I can do is sit here and look at the helicopter with a very perplexed, and yet grateful, expression on my face, lol.

So....i guess that's that, lol.

Thanks for the help guys! Now, if this 30mph wind would just go away. I could probably try to hover the 450, then the wind would pick up and I'd be picking up my 450 at Graham's house, lol.

Derek

Well, here we go again....it's beeping at me and not spooling up. Awesome!!! (<----sarcastically speeking)

murankar

Staff member
I did some searching on the factory reset. There was not anything definite. Since I.don't have that esc I can't try anything I found.

I hope you solve the issues soon. As like you I am fighting weather. Sucks for sure.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

Yeah...it's unfortunate that the esc isn't working properly.....again. However, I have a Youtube buddy that is going to call me tonight and see if we can get it figured out. Hopefully something positive will come from it.

Regardless, I do appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone that has given their two cents.

Derek

Ok, I have good news and bad news, lol

I just spent the last 3 hours, on the phone, with one of my Youtube buddies. He was trying to help me get the YEP 45 amp ESC V2 programmed on my Trex 450 Pro DFC. It's a very long story of mistakes.....all seemingly to be "operator error". I was at the point where I simply wanted to remove the esc from the helicopter and buy a Castle 50. The short story is that (here's the good news), we got the esc programmed and remembering the selected options. The helicopter spools up very nicely and slowly. Idle up 1 and 2 behave as they should. Switching from Idle 2 to 1 and again down to normal mode behaves as it should. So....on the bench, it's working as it should.

The bad news is that it's nearly midnight and I have to work the next two nights so I won't get to try a hover attempt until Wednesday.

I guess I can live with that......if it still works correctly on Wednesday, lol.

One thing that I will HAVE to keep in mind....when I do take this helicopter out for the next hover attempt is to get it off the ground as soon as possible. I know that Tony has mentioned this before, probably several times, and there are others that have told me the same. I believe that was the contributing factor to my "tip over" that I had two weeks ago....again...."operator error". I did not remember to get the helicopter off the ground quickly and it began to move in a direction that I wasn't prepared for....I overreacted, and it tipped over....equalling "damage".

Hopefully I can say "lesson learned" and we can move on from here.

build, fly, crash, repeat.....right? In my case...the term "learn" should be in there somewhere, lol.

Thanks again to everyone here that continues to help, or at least tries to help. That's what makes RCH so awesome...in my opinion.

Take care guys!!!

Slobberdog

Derek, Just looked at you pic of your helis on their new shelves, and think I just noticed braid on your wires, this could have something to do with you tip over, was told by a couple of people on here (Tony was one) when I put some on mine, that braid transfers a lot of vibes direct to the FBL unit, so I promptly removed it, as I did not want to risk it.

as yours has a fair bit of wire coming out the back it might be that its vibrating with the wind movement from the blades traveling over them, just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Well, I've had an unfortunate turn of events. After spending hours trying to get the YEP 45 esc programmed and getting it to save the selected options, the helicopter was ready to be tested again. The weather was gorgeous yesterday and I didn't have to work, so I went flying. I took some of my planes out as well as my 450. Not a single crash and tons of fun with the planes...so on to the 450.

It spun up very nice and slow and smooth. It was really nice to see. I hopped it up from the ground into a very nice and VERY stable hover and for about 10-12 seconds, everything was going well. The motor then began to pulsate and then it started losing power. I could hear it rev up and then down.....rev up and then down. Quickly I flipped throttle hold and did a baby auto from about 3 feet. I unplugged the battery and put the 450 back into the truck and shrugged my shoulders. I'm completely done with this YEP 45 esc. I ordered a CC Ice 50 esc as a replacement. It should be here by the weekend and fortunately this coming weekend will be my weekend off so I'm hoping to get the YEP pulled from the 450 and get the CC Ice 50 installed, programmed and ready to run.

I'm sorry that I don't have any video from yesterdays flying. I took my video camera with me and a tripod but my video camera isn't working properly again. Time for a new camera.

Lee

Thats not good news Derek, but i know you will love the CC 50.
I would say send the YEP here to test, but its quite a way to post it :)

Derek

ha ha ha, I just checked the post office website....to ship this YEP and programming card to you, in Spain, would cost me $46. WOW!!!

Lee

Holy rip off batman.
Just got the custom duty bill for my servos. $121 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom